+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Identity

Identity

Almost a third of the way through the season. A slow start, but I believe Kewell has done well in general apart from Bury. I was at Bury, but I'm just going to let that one slide for now. He admitted his game plan didn't work.

The question I'm asking is this:

Are we a team that should be considering ourselves in a relegation battle already, or are we just in a bit of a false position due to the terrible start?

Because of the poor start to the season under Nolan, there has been confusion and a misconception of our identity. We know we have enough quality to be challenging for the playoffs again, but we find ourselves suffering down the bottom. It's confusing for the fans, so it must be confusing for the players right?

So what are your thoughts, really? Are we likely to be in the relegation battle in Jan/Feb, or will we be sitting mid table ready to push on and try and grab that playoff spot?

Well i agrree that we have our identity. That is, we're crap, but i love Notts and i'll always be their

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    Almost a third of the way through the season. A slow start, but I believe Kewell has done well in general apart from Bury. I was at Bury, but I'm just going to let that one slide for now. He admitted his game plan didn't work.

Are we a team that should be considering ourselves in a relegation battle already, or are we just in a bit of a false position due to the terrible start?

Because of the poor start to the season under Nolan, there has been confusion and a misconception of our identity. We know we have enough quality to be challenging for the playoffs again, but we find ourselves suffering down the bottom. It's confusing for the fans, so it must be confusing for the players right?

So what are your thoughts, really? Are we likely to be in the relegation battle in Jan/Feb, or will we be sitting mid table ready to push on and try and grab that playoff spot?
    12 points off the play-offs and 2 points above the trapdoor with almost one-third of the season gone.....if we end the season in mid-table it will be a minor miracle.....anything better than that is fantasy with this team....sorry.

Wasted season IMO after all the pre-season hype....not to worry, there's always next season.

While I think the goal is now to avoid the drop, I don't think we're in any real danger of getting relegated. Macc look nailed on to go down, so that just leaves one more team. Are we really the second worst team in England?

It's a strange one. We have some good players, and I think HK is a smart young coach. But we're lacking a balanced squad and leaders on the pitch. I can't remember a season where we conceded so many so regularly, but I still feel that we have enough quality to stay clear of the drop.

I tend to make my judgements on what I see on the field and the league table. At this point in time we are in a relegation battle by being two points clear of relegation. I don’t subscribe to false positions and that applies no matter where we are in the league. Whilist form is temporary and class is permanent as they say the table is an overall barometer of how well we’ve been over the course of the season to date. So far not very good overall with 8 defeats from 14 games.

The fundamentals of this side I think are the worrying ability to completey collapse at ease. We are talking about the forth tier of English football yet at times we have made the opposition look like world beaters. It comes down to lack of confidence, fighting and battling qualities. Also it requires mental strength and toughness and not giving up so easily when we go a goal or two down.

My concerns lie with the shear number of players we have in the squad who are nowhere near the first team that is 90th in the football league. So if they can’t get a game for us who can they get a game for? Once again we have a surplus of quantity over quality. I would like to think in January we may be able to shed some of this, but let’s remember players are usually under contract until the summer. So maybe we can bring in some loan players with a view to signing them in the summer when more funds maybe available. Or if we are in relegation trouble come January then Alan Hardy will have a decision to make as to whether to spend more money to secure our league survival or risk us dropping out of the football league which would be catastrophic. I’d like to think that by January our situation would not be that perilous.

However in spite of the above since Harry Kewell has been in charge there are lots of reasons to be positive and optimistic going forwards this season. It has been a case of three steps forward (Macclesfield, Crawley and Crewe) and two steps backwards (Bury and MK Dons) If we are to climb the table then we will need to display a consistency we showed in the five game unbeaten run we created. Just maybe the injustice from the result last night could galvanise this squad.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 24-10-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    Well i agrree that we have our identity. That is, we're crap, but i love Notts and i'll always be their
    Finish your sentence, Bob. You'll always be their ... what? Sucker? Punch bag?

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Finish your sentence, Bob. You'll always be their ... what? Sucker? Punch bag?
    Idol?

He said that the players didn't follow the game plan.

As for 'identity', what can you realistically expect. Nolan screwed up the pre-season and the start of the season. We've already dragged ourselves clear of rock bottom and there's no way IMO that we're relegation material. It's still a new team that never had the chance to gel which then had a bunch of makeshift defenders added to it. Everyone tipped us for top 3 this year but that was wrecked. We have an identity - 'in recovery'