+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V Norwich

V Norwich

Ok - I understand why no one posted anything about it. But there were some positives (and some negatives).

We lined up with players playing in their positions 😮 for one thing. In a 4 4 1 1 with Jack just behind Tammy in a free role. We took the lead from a set peice at the corner with a Chester header/own goal and we had a few more efforts. But, again certainly the first goal we conceded was due to a dodgy keeper coming for a cross from their corner.

I see Nyland as nowhere near the standard of Sam Johnstone and can't see him being the No.1 for a very long time. Also, our players looked tired. Chester in particular was puffing and blowing within the first 15 minutes. Adomah limped off and was replaced by El Ghazi, who was entirely a none enterty for the rest of the match.

The positive thing is that THIS isn't Dean Smith's team yet. Hopefully he can put his mark on it when he finds his formation and his best 11.

Hutton was back to RB and showed his usual enthusiastic approach to running forward but was jogging back several times and caught out of possession too. I honestly think he is a better LB.

ANYWAY? Another game on Friday to look forward to away at QPR

I saw the same pros and cons as you Sam, still very much a SB squad and twill take a good week on the training ground just to start implementing DS’s style. DS has had 2 days with the whole squad, then a match. Then 2 days followed by a match. Now he has 2 more days before qpr away on Friday!!
    The two annoying things for me remain;
    Our FBs defend too narrow. Every single time the opposition ping it out wide, both of our FBs have to scarper 20/30 yards out to the wing, by which time the winger has a head of steam up and we’re in trouble. That’s why we inevitably concede so many from wide areas.

And our crossing is appalling!! It was last season as well. Never mind Snoddy’s assist and goal stats, he success rates were shocking. CH is more off it than on it, ditto Elmo, Hutton, Taylor, El Ghazi, Bolassie and Albert. Even Jack’s crossing success rate is p1ss poor.
    Stats suggest that we put a considerably higher amount of crosses into the box than any other team, but most of em don’t reach our players.

Both of these issues have been haunting us for years. If a player can’t ‘cross his legs’ as stats show, then get someone in who can.

McGinn seems the only one who can cross a bloody ball consistently.

El Ghazi is a huge lad, shame he didn't get a single kick, what was Brucey thinking when he brought him in?

On a personal note, my second appearance on Sky TV this season in the crowd at half time.

The main thing I felt from watching the performance was that it wasn't just hit n hope, for once we actually seemed to have a game plan. You can feel change already and I actually enjoyed watching a Villa game for a change. Onwards n upwards I say!!

When we pressed high up in the first half, we had them really scared, but the energy levels are so poor, by this stage of the season we should be flying and super fit... this has to be down to Bruce's training regime. I'm sure we will get better.

Boy do we need a result on Friday. I had just landed in Chicago and my phone went off and my heart sank, by the time i got to Border control i new blues had won, the demena had changed and i almost told the security guy to FOff.
    I fly back sat, please lets have a win lads.

I didn’t see the game, but would like to see if my theory was correct from what I’ve gathered.

Last season we went to Carrow Rd and dominated, but Grealish was fouled numerous times with no punishment doled out to the Norwich players. Then one of the worst culprits went full blown over the top on JT who rolled around in agony asking the linesman why he didn’t call a foul ? Should have been a straight red. Terry limped around the rest of the game instead of subbing out and was at fault for possibly 2 goals and went on to miss an important part of our season.

Against Norwich on Tuesday my Dad said Grealish was fouled over and over again with no punishment doled out and we lost a further 2 players to injury. We then conceded 2 goals.

Is my post fair?

Don’t know about fair mate but it’s certainly factual. Yes Norwich got stuck into us and Jack was, as usual, kicked from pillar to post, but we seemed to stop to complain to the ref every time, instead of keeping up with play.
    Tammy took a kick to the head (in fairness he did stoop very low) and we brought on Hogan for the resulting corner. Tammy has been great at defending set pieces, but Hutton and Nyland let the midget Rhodes out jump them to score. Almost immediately Adomah went off (knee to knee clash) and on came El Ghazi. They carried on kicking lumps and we kept crying to the ref as they flew down the forever vacant RB channel, fizzed the ball in and Chester fell asleep for Rhodes to flick in the winner.
    Cue countless aimless, scuffed crosses to noone in particular and it’s all over.
    We have played a lot worse and won, we seemed to be pressing higher and the movement was there. However, we have only Axel in defence, the other three were, well, all over the place, just like their distribution was.

Very accurate Mr Stateside

I think the problem is fitness. My dad said that the players were surprised and "excited" to see the manager in a tracksuit taking training. Not sure what that means about Bruce? ??

Friday is huge... we're on TV again

Can I watch it on sky if I don't have the red button. I can book sky for a day or a week on now TV. However I was annoyed when I booked it not realising I need a sky button.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)