+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WBA v Derby.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    WBA win most likely outcome. 3-1 home win.
    Well well 2-0 up. Hope all scores remain the same at the end. The table looks better this way. Everyone is within touching distance of each other.

WBA win most likely outcome. 3-1 home win.
    Ok statto did you expect us to get 4? I set my alarm in Hong Kong to wake up and listen to us destroy the league favourites. Good result for you lads too. There might be more than bragging rights to play for this season Romanis

Quote Originally Posted by romanis View Post
    wba win most likely outcome. 3-1 home win.
    Lol...
    Last edited by ramAnag; 24-10-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Little bit of a special performance last night I thought. Not a single weak link amongst the Derby ranks imo.
    Particularly impressed by Malone and Tomori who I am more convinced than ever could perform in midfield, allowing the side to accommodate both him and Davies.
    Pressure off to some extent, six points from the three games against the Blades, West Brom and Boro is as much as most would have thought likely but a point or three at the Riverside, not to mention going top for a while, would be very welcome.
    Who knows what’s possible?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Lol...
    Yes but dear old you said you'd be happy with a point .Who can predict this division?
    Rotherham drawing 0-0 at Boro. But 6 points from the Blades and Baggies, you should be ecstatic. Anything from Boro on Saturday is a bonus for you. We face Leeds, I'll be happy with any point but don't expect.

A master class and a half. It all started at half time on Saturday, having been outplayed by the Blades for all but the opening 5 minutes of the half. The team went back to the dressing room and Frank and Jody disappeared into a side room to discuss their 2nd half strategy. Quite simply, in possession, have the wide men go right to the touchline. That pulls 2 of the opposition’s back 3 very wide leaving oodles of space in the centre for onrushing midfielders to exploit. It worked a treat in the 2nd half on Saturday and it worked for most of the game at WBA. Looking forward, Boro also employ a back 3. Will Pulis stick with it or will he take account of Derby’s tactics in the last game and a half?
    First half they had a chance early doors then, when a Derby attack broke down in the 10th minute, WBA attempted to play it along the back line with the intention of playing it through the midfield. All 4 midfielders were covered but the forward pass was attempted anyway. Cue Derby to press and harry, an underhit back pass under pressure towards the WBA keeper was the result and Jack Marriott pounced and hit it first time into the net. 3 starts, 3 goals. I expressed doubts about his first few substitute appearances but added that he had arrived not fit and hopefully, once fit, he would show why we bought him. He is fit and is doing just that.
    5 minutes later Derby’s tactics paid off again. Massed pressing at the right time saw us take the ball of WBA and we had 5 or 6 players inside their half, attacking. A slick 3 or 4 passes saw Lawrence jink into the area, beat a man and put his shot just beyond the reach of the keeper and just inside the right hand post.
    The rest of the half was to and fro, both sides giving the ball away too often for anybody’s liking. On 39 minutes I came to a partially wrong conclusion. That they had had more ball but that we had had more real chances. I checked on the BBC site and we had had 51% possession. That surprised me. We had had 9 shots to their 5 with respectively 5 and 1 on target. That was how I had read the game.
    The 2nd half was almost a repeat of the 1st. I expected them to come out of the blocks quickly and had been made aware by the Sky commentator and the analyst that WBA had scored 15 of their 20 home goals so far this season in the 2nd half. It wasn’t so. Again, a lot of passes going astray and Derby creating the better chances up to the last 15 when WBA seemed to go **** or bust and outlasted the Rams. Something which hasn’t happened so far this season.
    On 51 minutes Wilson scored a cracker following a good move. On 71 minutes Malone made a last ditch wonder tackle inside the 6 yard box and seconds later, he had galloped upfield, passed to Bennett who passed it back to him and Malone got past the defence and slotted home #4 for almost his last act in the match. He was replaced by Forsyth.
    After that WBA chased their pride and got a consolation goal and forced a couple of very good saves from Carson and Derby might have had more as well. It could easily have been 4-7 but 1-4 is sufficient.
    Just 2 days to recuperate before going to Boro on Saturday lunchtime for a 3rd successive Sky game. Will it be 3 wins on the trot against promotion rivals? We will have to wait and see. However, following the huge efforts put in against the Blades and the Baggies, I expect 2 or 3 changes for the Boro game for no other reason than healthy rotation.

Carson – 7 – Had a very good game, made some ***** saves
    Bogle – 7 – after 2 shaky games almost back to his best
    Keogh – 7 – Solid as a rock
    Tomori – 7 – Solid as a rock
    Malone – 8 – How good was that? Defensively sound and good going forward. That save followed immediately by a romp upfield, an exchange of passes with Bennett and he scores. Magic.
    Wilson – 7 – Looked like he ahd played the “Bryson role” all his life. Assured on the ball. Tracking back and lethal in attack. Another cracking goal. Benefitted in this “new” position from not being constantly double and triple teamed and knocked off the ball
    Huddlestone – 9 – Majestic. He has all these quality young lads around him to do the running for him. He just rules the centre of the pitch and either starts attacks for us or puts a stop to theirs.
    Mount – 8 – What can you say about the lad. He attacks, he defends, he tackles, he works and he stopped one on the line again.
    Waghorn – 6 – Runs around, does his work but there is little or no end product
    Marriott – 8 Brilliant goal, great work rate, good football. He has made the ‘9 role his own.
    Lawrence – 8 – His best game for a while. Brilliant goal, great work rate, good football.

Subs – Bennett seems to have benefitted from the rest from playing. Good cameo, apart from the one shot blazed over the top. Bennett comes on, gets an assist. Situation normal.
    Nugent was, well, Nugent. Did what Nugent does and did it well. Great header on to Bennett for that shot.
    Forsyth was only on 10 minutes but didn’t weaken the defence

I don’t normally but, for this game at any rate, a word about the opposition. Most teams would have folded at 0-4 but they didn’t. Fair play to them. They kept at it and, although a clean sheet would have been great, they deserved to get what proved to be no more than a consolation goal. They won’t get so clinically treated the rest of the season at home. Theor spirit has Darren Moore written all over it.

Yes but dear old you said you'd be happy with a point .Who can predict this division?
    Rotherham drawing 0-0 at Boro. But 6 points from the Blades and Baggies, you should be ecstatic. Anything from Boro on Saturday is a bonus for you. We face Leeds, I'll be happy with any point but don't expect.
    Of course I’d have been happy with a point. We were playing arguably the best side in the league on their home patch...what do you expect?
    I also said I had a feeling we might nick it. We did a lot more than that, but you’re missing the point.
    Last season you’d have been singing our praises, not predicting a 3-1 defeat, as Derby were - curiously - your ‘second’ side...this season it’s Leeds apparently. Don’t understand it but try not to tie yourself in too many knots this weekend.

Of course I’d have been happy with a point. We were playing arguably the best side in the o
    league on their home patch...what do you expect?
    I also said I had a feeling we might nick it. We did a lot more than that, but you’re missing the point.
    Last season you’d have been singing our praises, not predicting a 3-1 defeat, as Derby were - curiously - your ‘second’ side...this season it’s Leeds apparently. Don’t understand it but try not to tie yourself in too many knots this weekend.
    He won't know who to support on Sat the trees or the scum

Little bit of a special performance last night I thought. Not a single weak link amongst the Derby ranks imo
    Particularly impressed by Malone and Tomori who I am more convinced than ever could perform in midfield, allowing the side to accommodate both him and Davies.
    Pressure off to some extent, six points from the three games against the Blades, West Brom and Boro is as much as most would have thought likely but a point or three at the Riverside, not to mention going top for a while, would be very welcome.
    Who knows what’s possible?
    RA your right Malone and Tomori were brilliant last night Malone was always very good at Fulham until Sessonyong,appeared Huddleston def MoM for me Don't like to critical after a performance like that but Bogles defending and particularly his positional play is not good enough at the moment Can't fault his marauding but he is there to defend

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    He won't know who to support on Sat the trees or the scum
    I'm tired of people calling Leeds scum. Do they still kick lumps out of opponents? That was the bad old Leeds from the 70s.
    It's time people move on and stop making football so tribal. It's still only a game or sport.
    Defining and racially profiling people based on whom they support is pathetic and childish. (And no, I'm not accusing you of the latter, I'd hope you'd have more compassion than that, but unfortunately there still loads of people out there who do. They if anything are the scum).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)