+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WBA v Derby.

WBA v Derby.

Big match tonight and I know there have been some good comments, from MA in particular, but for some reason on the ‘Blades’ thread.
    So let’s move on. Tonight at the Hawthorns we’re up against arguably the strongest side in the division. With Boro’ to come on Saturday I’ll be happy with 4/6 from these two matches but WBA do have one or two missing so I have a sneaking suspicion we might manage a surprise win tonight. Have to watch Gayle but I’m going for another 1-2 win.

I think they will have too much for us RA, and we'll be hungover from Saturday's efforts.

I'd expect a slight change of shape, rather than attempting a like for like swap for Bryson. Nugent may start over Marriott, or maybe even have Waghorn as centre forward. One thing we miss is someone to hold the ball up when we clear our lines - we look great attacking on the break with fast running, but do miss that bit of pressure relief you get from players like Martin and Howard of recentish years when we have to pump it to the halfway line. That kind of thing could be really useful against WBA who I expect to dominate, and why I think Nugent might be better over in form Marriott today.

Also think Davies will come in for Tomori, experience could be the telling difference against what is, effectively, a premier league front line. I don't think we'll have enough possession to warrant a ball playing centre half.

Exciting prospect though, and although I want us to win, I'd like to see big Darren Moore do well with WBA, so hope he gets a good reception but goes home frustrated.

..... moved from the Blades thread........

It's now guessing game time. No Bryson against Tesco so who will take his place? I don't think we have another Bryson type in the squad so it won't be a like for like replacement. Looking throughout the club, young Sibley from the U23's is a utility player who cand defend, tackle and be creative. Full of energy and running. He has, IMO, the skill set, lung capacity and mind set to fill the gap.

Looking at WBA's home record this will be a tough un. Will FL stick with his preferred formation or might we see a continuation of the 1-3-5-2 we finished with against the Blades? Carson - Keogh, Davies, Tomori - Malone/Forsyth, Mount, Huddlestone, Lawrence/Wilson, Bogle/Wisdom - Marriott, Waghorn/Nugent.

Malone or Forsyth? Great cross for the winner from Fozzy on Saturday but he gave the ball away an awful lot and I doubt we would get away with it at the Hawthorns.

Lawrence or Wilson? Wilson had a good game at the weekend but with 5 in the middle Lawro is the better defender, despite his atrocious tackling where 90% of his challenges are fouls. Lawro for me.

Bogle or Wisdom? After a great start to the season, Bogle has, IMO, been less than average in his last 2 games and a rest might do him the world of good.

Waghorn or Nugent? Apart from the header he put wide when he should have hit the target and the left foot shot he engineered for himself that just missed the target I don't recall any end product from him in the form of positive passes/crosses. Nuge has had a rest, time for his energy again.

The players will know today, we have to wait until an hour before kick off tomorrow. Despite my musings above, I fully expect the usual system to be utilised.

I get a sense of deja vu here

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I get a sense of deja vu here
    Pearson to bundle in the winner?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Big match tonight and I know there have been some good comments, from MA in particular, but for some
    reason on the ‘Blades’ thread.
    So let’s move on. Tonight at the Hawthorns we’re up against arguably the strongest side in the division. With Boro’ to come on Saturday I’ll be happy with 4/6 from these two matches but WBA do have one or two missing so I have a sneaking suspicion we might manage a surprise win tonight. Have to watch Gayle but I’m going for another 1-2 win.
    RA they have a lot more than Gayle to watch Rodriguez is very good at this level They have Phillips back from injury and I've lost count the number of times He's beat us on his own Whoever is our left back is in for a torrid night Birmingham Mail saying Ollie Burke could start

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    RA they have a lot more than Gayle to watch Rodriguez is very good at this level They have Phillips back from injury and I've lost count the number of times He's beat us on his own Whoever is our left back is in for a torrid night Birmingham Mail saying Ollie Burke could start
    Yep, you’re right mista. They’re very strong up front...I just feel Gayle is that type of speedy, tricky little player with great close control that often seems to trouble us.
    They do have weaknesses at the back though, surprising seeing as who their boss is.

I wish Darren Moore well too Adi, man with a great attitude. Not tonight though...be surprised if Marriott is dropped/rested but however hard it may be I do think we’ll nick it, be happy with a point though.
    Being ‘hungover’ from Saturday’s efforts is not an option imo.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 24-10-2018 at 03:06 PM.

I guess you can volunteer to be the designated hung overer for the team RA, so as to ensure they are not.

I have a curious sense of optimism about this game. We did win there last year wasn't it - or was it the year before - in the cup? They are an up and down streaky team, lost some games to not great opposition and destroyed others who you would think were better than that. As we are the same, maybe we will be up and them down?

OK, its a straw to clutch........ but at least we haven't got Rowett. Thats one masterstroke for the season

I might have to hide behind the sofa and watch the Apprentice instead, where one can laugh at utter incompetence and stupidity without feeling each act as a knife through the heart

‘I have a curious sense of optimism’...about what my theory is based on too GP.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 24-10-2018 at 04:31 PM.

WBA win most likely outcome. 3-1 home win.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)