+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you start.......

Where do you start.......

....... concerning last night's performance? I'm lost for words! It probably started with Rodrigues' poor back pass leading to their opening goal. That was just one of those things that can happen in football; it was the manner in which we reacted is the big concern. We were an absolute shambles all over the pitch.

This back three just isn't working, or let's put it this way, trying to play it continually out of the back isn't. Our players just aren't good enough and opposition have worked us out and play a high line against us. How many times were our defenders caught in possession by playing this way? The midfield is another problem. Why can't Moore see that Brunt, and I've always been a fan of his, is just not a central midfielder. When I saw Field was in the side I assumed Barry would play alongside him, but no, Brunt again. In all honesty, he has been poor all season. What has happened to Dawson? He's also been poor this season. He is continually giving the ball away which led to their third goal last night. The Man. City lad on loan isn't the answer, Bartley is always blaming others and the defence in general looks like they've never played together before. Perhaps we miss Hegazi more than we realise!

Moore isn't tactically astute, his substitutions are often bewildering and his selections are so predictable and uninspiring. We have flattered to deceive and got away with it because of our reliance on our strikers outscoring the opposition.This result, as many predicted, was 'around the corner' and after last night's performance surely we can't be odds on to win the title. Moore has got a lot think about. Let's hope that he just doesn't stick with the same as, same as! It isn't working!

You start by realising that we are 4th in the table two points off top. The defence needs tightening up. That's it.

Last night no Hegazi....Tosin total rubbish....Dawson different position...bit of a re-hash. Whatever you think of any of them it was very unsettled. Bartley...complete nob. we need a defence. That's it really...would make a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    ....... concerning last night's performance? I'm lost for words! It probably started with Rodrigues' poor back pass leading to their opening goal. That was just one of those things that can happen in football; it was the manner in which we reacted is the big concern. We were an absolute shambles all over the pitch.

This back three just isn't working, or let's put it this way, trying to play it continually out of the back isn't. Our players just aren't good enough and opposition have worked us out and play a high line against us. How many times were our defenders caught in possession by playing this way? The midfield is another problem. Why can't Moore see that Brunt, and I've always been a fan of his, is just not a central midfielder. When I saw Field was in the side I assumed Barry would play alongside him, but no, Brunt again. In all honesty, he has been poor all season. What has happened to Dawson? He's also been poor this season. He is continually giving the ball away which led to their third goal last night. The Man. City lad on loan isn't the answer, Bartley is always blaming others and the defence in general looks like they've never played together before. Perhaps we miss Hegazi more than we realise!

Moore isn't tactically astute, his substitutions are often bewildering and his selections are so predictable and uninspiring. We have flattered to deceive and got away with it because of our reliance on our strikers outscoring the opposition.This result, as many predicted, was 'around the corner' and after last night's performance surely we can't be odds on to win the title. Moore has got a lot think about. Let's hope that he just doesn't stick with the same as, same as! It isn't working!

I agree the football under Pulis was poor to watch but hey - at least we could defend. At Wigan and last night - I can't remember last year the football being that bad and we were playing top teams. Derby at Wigan certainly are no Man City or Chelsea!

The shambles on Saturday and last night was a complete embarrassment and bringing on Robson Kanu and Mears - well that was the signal to head home!

Moore even in his interview ( like at Wigan ) could not admit we were outplayed which is alarming! Personally, I would get rid of Moore if we don't win on Saturday and bring in somebody would more footballing intelligence. I would even have Steve Bruce over Moore!

The problem lies deeper though - lack of ambition - no money - lack of quality - pathetic Board and an owner who shows little interest!

Disgusted after last night and shopping with the Mrs on Saturday could be tempting.......... That's another thing - after the shambles of Wigan and last night - the crowds could start to drop!!!

The worrying thing is the for the majority of lasts night's game we were playing four at the back and that was no better.
    Dawson is what he has always been a below average defender. The one season he dragged himself up to the level of being average people were acclaiming him as the next Nesta.
    We should have taken the money for him and Rodriguez in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    You start by realising that we are 4th in the table two points off top. The defence needs tightening up. That's it.
    Ever the optomistic Boingy, which I admire. However, you have to admit that the defence is a shambles. We're fine in goal, mid-field OK with picking the right players, up front, very good, but that defence!

As soon as last nights team was announced I knew we were in trouble a total lack of balance you can't have 2 left footed players playing in midfield, i disagree the the reason we are conceding so many goals is just down to the defence you should defend as a team the front 3 don't work hard enough to close players down the 2 midfielders are often out numbered so the ball gets passed around them the wing backs get caught out of position which leaves teams running at the back 3 who I agree have defended very poorly. The only person to come out of the last 2 games with any credit is the goalkeeper had it not been for him both defeats would have been worse. We have to change the system and get another midfielder in the centre by going to a flat back 4 or sacrificing one of the front 3.

Quote Originally Posted by saltnshake View Post
    As soon as last nights team was announced I knew we were in trouble a total lack of balance you can't have 2 left footed players playing in midfield, i disagree the the reason we are conceding so many goals is just down to the defence you should defend as a team the front 3 don't work hard enough to close players down the 2 midfielders are often out numbered so the ball gets passed around them the wing backs get caught out of position which leaves teams running at the back 3 who I agree have defended very poorly. The only person to come out of the last 2 games with any credit is the goalkeeper had it not been for him both defeats would have been worse. We have to change the system and get another midfielder in the centre by going to a flat back 4 or sacrificing one of the front 3.
    I pretty much agree with all of that especially the bit about defending as a team. We give the ball away far to cheaply, too easily. Its so basic at any level, you keep possession but watching that last night was like watching pinball - the ball came to us and it got pinged straight back to the opposition. I think we're a top 2 side going forward but a bottom 3 side defending. I also thought that there were too many balls conceded in midfield from sloppy passing so as you say, we need to defend as a team.

Ever the optomistic Boingy, which I admire. However, you have to admit that the defence is a shambles. We're fine in goal, mid-field OK with picking the right players, up front, very good, but that defence!
    It is, but dare I say it, I KNEW the moment Pulis went (and he did have to go, no complaints there) our defence would go back to the one we were used to for the past 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by saltnshake View Post
    Don't disagree and whilst Johnstone has made some decent saves, he has also cost us a few goals as he's often flat footed, nervous and with poor distribution. Not an absolute patch on Ben Foster or if any better than Myhill - it's questionable!

Apart from Gayle and Barnes - the quality and confidence has seriously diminished, all of which you have an inexperienced manager with no tactical nous!

Look at Derby - young pacy players with a manager who has played all the systems under tactically astute top managers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)