+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: UEFA Solidarity payment

UEFA Solidarity payment

Seems we'll be getting in excess of £370k from UEFA as a result of Celtic's exploits last season.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

My understanding is it must be spent on the Development team?

A decent salary for a new Manager?

Celtic themselves pocketed 32,476,000 euros.

And fair play to them, they made it and it certainly wasn't them who came up with the system...but the notion that Celtic doing well in Europe is good for Scottish football is beyond mental.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Celtic themselves pocketed 32,476,000 euros.

And fair play to them, they made it and it certainly wasn't them who came up with the system...but the notion that Celtic doing well in Europe is good for Scottish football is beyond mental.
    I know what you mean but as they provide one or two players for the Scotland team there must be some benefit to those players from getting a roasting from superior players every second week up to Xmas. No?

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyG View Post
    I know what you mean but as they provide one or two players for the Scotland team there must be some benefit to those players from getting a roasting from superior players every second week up to Xmas. No?
    Some benefit definitely, how much I'm not sure...and certainly not enough to compensate for one team living in a different stratosphere to everyone else.

I have long held the theory there are three ways of measuring football in a country:

1) national team
    2) European club performance
    3) entertainment in a competitive domestic league

A country the size of Scotland will never be able to have all three going well at the same time as there is inevitably a conflict of interest somewhere along the line.

Accordingly I'm quite happy to sacrifice point 2 - and I really don't understand why everyone apart from two obvious clubs don't agree - if it helps boost 3.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)