+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we cursed?

Are we cursed?

Sounds a bit dramatic, I know, but I swear Notts have an almost supernatural ability to disappoint. I mean it doesn't matter who our owner is, who our manager is, who our players are, we tend towards disaster and self-destruction. Why? Even the decent seasons are just a long build-up to an even bigger disappointment. Every time we make progress, we undo it almost instantly, ending up in a worse position that we were before.

It almost seems like we're cursed. I can't think of many teams that have the habit of messing things up like we do. What makes it worse it that Notts is a club with potential - a decent stadium, an incredible heritage, and decent fan base thirsty for success. Yet look at the league table - we're below Morcambe, a club with a fraction of the support or resources. Why?

It seems to me that if Notts and Morcambe swapped managers and players, they'd shoot up the league and we'd be rooted to the bottom. Notts are the only team I can think of that would go from a playoff team to a relegation candidate while investing heavily in lower-league 'stars'. Any other team that dropped 500k would just go ahead and get promoted, because they'd have the best team.

I'm started to get paranoid. But the last two games have just done me in. I can sort of accept - or at least understand - getting hammered when we play ****, but losing two games in a row while playing well just makes the whole situation feel impossible.

Is there any hope in sight?

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Sounds a bit dramatic, I know, but I swear Notts have an almost supernatural ability to disappoint. I mean it doesn't matter who our owner is, who our manager is, who our players are, we tend towards disaster and self-destruction. Why? Even the decent seasons are just a long build-up to an even bigger disappointment. Every time we make progress, we undo it almost instantly, ending up in a worse position that we were before.

It almost seems like we're cursed. I can't think of many teams that have the habit of messing things up like we do. What makes it worse it that Notts is a club with potential - a decent stadium, an incredible heritage, and decent fan base thirsty for success. Yet look at the league table - we're below Morcambe, a club with a fraction of the support or resources. Why?

It seems to me that if Notts and Morcambe swapped managers and players, they'd shoot up the league and we'd be rooted to the bottom. Notts are the only team I can think of that would go from a playoff team to a relegation candidate while investing heavily in lower-league 'stars'. Any other team that dropped 500k would just go ahead and get promoted, because they'd have the best team.

I'm started to get paranoid. But the last two games have just done me in. I can sort of accept - or at least understand - getting hammered when we play ****, but losing two games in a row while playing well just makes the whole situation feel impossible.

TBH, we should have strolled a 2-0 or 2-1 victory today....we were dominant for two-thirds of the match? but we couldn't get that important 2nd goal, poor subs and subsequent re-shuffling....plus a fragile confidence when under pressure.

Things can surely only get better?....COYP....Keep the Faith.

Certainly feels like it sometimes. Get to our first play offs in 20 odd years and we end up on the wrong end of the worst officiating decisions you’ll ever see. Not arguable, or debatable, awful. Without them, we’re probably in League 1, with a few quid to spend and a Kevin Nolan who doesn’t look to change our whole style of play overnight. I can’t think any club has spent transfer funds as badly as we did last summer.

Then again, we had the farce the other night, if we’d won that, could have been a launching pad for the season. We’ve had 3 decent seasons this millennium and in 2 of those we sacked the manager...typical Notts. I suppose the only thing you could say is that with the amount of time we’ve spent at the wrong end of League 2, we’re lucky still to be a league club.

Cursed, no

Crap every season, yes

I mean it doesn't matter who our owner is, who our manager is, who our players are, we tend towards disaster and self-destruction. Why? Even the decent seasons are just a long build-up to an even bigger disappointment. Every time we make progress, we undo it almost instantly, ending up in a worse position that we were before.
    I'd say Scardino and Trew ultimately ended up with the club in a state that their decision making deserved, but what did supporters do to deserve them? The Trust infighting didn't reflect well on the fan-base but at the end of the day, when it comes down to support, it's all about numbers through the gate and at this level, in the shadow of a club that's always been at least one division ahead of us for 24 years and our own inability to even make the top half of the table almost every year, I don't think you can ask for much more, the fans deserve better for sure.

What's happened this year has largely been down to terrible luck. I still can't believe how many key decisions went against us in the play-off semi's and i think we are still suffering as a result of that kick in the nads.
    The first thing Hardy had to do was keep us up, which he did, 2nd season was to turn us into something approaching a promotion chasing outfit, which he also achieved. I'd take 2 good seasons in every 3 (two steps forward, 1 back), but obviously you've got to make sure the one step back doesn't result in an almighty tumble.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastultra1977 View Post
    Cursed, no

Crap every season, yes
    I don't usually loose the rag but I have to totally agree with this... our ability to throw away games is staggering... they scored with 10 minutes to go and we didn't have a single effort on goal after that... 12 points from 15 games says it all really... we are poor even by league 2 standards.

I don’t think we are.. arrogant and complacent is more accurate...if you look at history Notts are a salutary lesson of what happens if you never take advantage of or appreciate good fortune and what you have. We thought we were special and always would be. Turns out we were wrong

If you don’t believe in the supernatural, and I don’t, there’s no such thing as a curse. What Notts have done over the last quarter century or so, is underachieved massively. It started in around 1994 when in the space of a season, a succession of managers, Walker, Slade and Kendall, spent a huge amount of money on a squad of players who got us relegated. Since then, there have only been a couple of successful seasons, which contrasts sharply with the preceding quarter century (1969 to 1994 approx) when Notts were overachieving massively (again with the exception of one or two seasons).

Some day, hopefully soon, the pendulum is going to swing back again but it’s no use blaming bad luck or non existent curses.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    If you don’t believe in the supernatural, and I don’t, there’s no such thing as a curse. What Notts have done over the last quarter century or so, is underachieved massively. It started in around 1994 when in the space of a season, a succession of managers, Walker, Slade and Kendall, spent a huge amount of money on a squad of players who got us relegated. Since then, there have only been a couple of successful seasons, which contrasts sharply with the preceding quarter century (1969 to 1994 approx) when Notts were overachieving massively (again with the exception of one or two seasons).

Some day, hopefully soon, the pendulum is going to swing back again but it’s no use blaming bad luck or non existent curses.
    I also don't believe in the supernatural, but when it comes down to just how sh!t we've been for ages, I'm struggling to come up with a better explanation than a curse!

We've continually thrown money at the club, continually churned over not just managers but the scouting and coaching network that underpins the club so that every season we start afresh.
    It's depressing but rather than believing in curses and luck I'm inclined to think it's continual incompetence.
    I'm hoping ( opposite of blaming bad luck for everything?) That Hardy will have learnt a lot by now and that Kewell on his second season as a manager will have too. Paul Hart has a heavy weight on his shoulders as he has to be the experienced head and glue that binds the club together from Hardy's cash to Kewells coaching and the next crucial transfer window.
    It looks like we've blown it this season already but as the pressure to go up eaces we need to see the foundations of a team for next season. Frustrating but Wycombe took two bites at the cherry, as did Accrington, Luton and Exeter three or four goes. But, they all built, didn't throw everything overboard and gave a manager and staff time with continued sensible spending.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast