+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Look to yourself, Harry Kewell

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    I think Harry Kewell was the only person in the ground that thought introducing David Vaughan to that game would be a good idea, I said it the second he stood up fromt he dugout ready to come on and lo and behold they almost instantly walked through our midfield.

He's been a shocking signing, he was advertised as someone that's great at passing and rarely gives the ball away. I'm yet to see him make a pass anyone else in the team couldn't have made and he's played the opposition through on goal more times than he has any of our players. I'd rate Stanley Aborah, Andre Boucaud and Gavin Mahon all above him regardless of the glorious career he might have had elswhere. His performance against MK Dons (where he still managed to almost cost us a goal) is the only time he's looked anything like what we expected him to be imo.
    The thing is anyone with half a brain in JULY could see that DV and what was left of our midfield was going to be a problem, i have always thought in this division a back 4 is only as good as the midfield in front of it. KN could not see it, now it looks like HK is going the same way, i am hoping Harry will try and address this somehow in the Jan window.

Quote Originally Posted by macstop View Post
    The thing is anyone with half a brain in JULY could see that DV and what was left of our midfield was going to be a problem, i have always thought in this division a back 4 is only as good as the midfield in front of it. KN could not see it, now it looks like HK is going the same way, i am hoping Harry will try and address this somehow in the Jan window.
    Interesting to read the Swindon manager’s comments after Saturday’s game. Basically said our front four were excellent with their movement, but once you were past them you were straight onto the back four. Also identified Notts’ right-hand side as defensively weak.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    You weren't at the game then?

I think Harry Kewell was the only person in the ground that thought introducing David Vaughan to that game would be a good idea, I said it the second he stood up fromt he dugout ready to come on and lo and behold they almost instantly walked through our midfield.

He's been a shocking signing, he was advertised as someone that's great at passing and rarely gives the ball away. I'm yet to see him make a pass anyone else in the team couldn't have made and he's played the opposition through on goal more times than he has any of our players. I'd rate Stanley Aborah, Andre Boucaud and Gavin Mahon all above him regardless of the glorious career he might have had elswhere. His performance against MK Dons (where he still managed to almost cost us a goal) is the only time he's looked anything like what we expected him to be imo.

There was an audible groan when Hewitt went to right back. 3 defenders on the bench as well, OK, they might not have been right backs but they were still defenders, that would have left Hewitt in a midfield position, where he is at least useful. Those changes cost us the game, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    There was an audible groan when Hewitt went to right back. 3 defenders on the bench as well, OK, they might not have been right backs but they were still defenders, that would have left Hewitt in a midfield position, where he is at least useful. Those changes cost us the game, imo.
    Is 100% the right answer....I actually laid back in my armchair, with my hand on my head, and went "please Noooooooo"......even Charlie and Stall sounded confused and said "maybe HK is moving to a 3 at the back, plus 3 midfielders sat just in front of them plus.....".....then it went quiet and "No.....Hewey is in at right back, Vaughan into midfield.....etc etc"..........it made no sense, we were controlling midfield, why change it?

If I've got a flat tyre, I open the boot, lift up the cover, find the spare......and change it....simple.......I don't start tinkering with the spark plugs!

Quote Originally Posted by miles3659 View Post
    After the game Harry Kewell laid into his players (all of them, it would seem) and made no mention of the game-changing decision he made.

He removed Elliott Hewitt from a solid midfield with Rob Milsom - and moved him to right back - where we all know he's had a number of shockers this season.
    I've been away for a week and missed last Saturday's game, but if Harry did move Hewitt to right-back during the game then that's a crazy move. We have seen ample evidence under successive managers that Elliott is an absolutely hopeless right-back and should never play in that position again. Whatever you think of Kevin Nolan's time as Notts County, I think few would dispute that one of his most inspired moves was to convert Hewitt from full-back to midfield. With one positional adjustment he turned a very poor performer into a very good performer, influenced by the fact that many people on this board had Hewitt (in his midfield role) as their player of the season in 2017/18.

Should stuck with Nolan

Anyway that is my story and i am sticking with it, until i get reason to believe otherwise

The point being i do not believe that we would be in a WORSE position if Nolan had of stayed. is record Win % , games won at home is far superior, Disgusting decision to sack him, one from which Notts Co have NOT BENEFITED FROM, yet anyway?

Some people are deluded a breath of fresh air under HK, right 3rd from bottom, and would been in bottom 2, if mansfield at not have equalised in added time.

HK has done nothing to convince me at all

Make no mistake we are in a RELEGATION battle

We got Oldham on Tuesday, then 2 BIG Games, Home to Cheltenham, and away Morecambe.

If we lose these games the clock is ticking for HK,

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Anyway that is my story and i am sticking with it, until i get reason to believe otherwise

The point being i do not believe that we would be in a WORSE position if Nolan had of stayed. is record Win % , games won at home is far superior, Disgusting decision to sack him, one from which Notts Co have NOT BENEFITED FROM, yet anyway?

Some people are deluded a breath of fresh air under HK, right 3rd from bottom, and would been in bottom 2, if mansfield at not have equalised in added time.

We got Oldham on Tuesday, then 2 BIG Games, Home to Cheltenham, and away Morecambe.

He talks a great game when interviewed, talks a load of crap. I can see how Hardy gave him the job two bull****ters together...

Is this the same KN that when asked if wanted anymore defenders said....No, despite conceding a bucket full of goals and plating Husin and Crawford as a CM pairing. Under Nolan we averaged 0.20 points per game and weren't even close to being competitive. HK has won 1.09 points per game which if he had started the season as manager would have us 2 places higher.

All 3 of his signings have improved the team. Of course he has made mistakes but he's magic victories out of a lifeless squad.

Under Nolan, we would just about have 3 points now

I don’t dispute Kevin Nolan’s overall record as Notts Manager. The loss of Ryan Yates, drop in form of Grant, and the injury to Mason Bennett put the proverbial spanner in the works and knocked our automatic promotion course off track. Not to mention the entire season playing week in and week out was a bridge to far for Stead and Ameobi in my opinion in the last 1/3rd.

The playoff defeat to Coventry had a wider and long lasting impact. It happens so many times teams lose in the playoffs and then plummet the season after. The only problem is in this league if you have a bad season you could end up in non league. Leyton Orient, Hartlepool and the likes are examples of clubs that a long history as a football league club but it does not make you immune.

My opinion is that we ripped up the plan at the end of last season instead of fine tuning it.

We also lost characters and vast knowledge and experience in the dressing room such as Alan Smith, Mike Edwards and Shola Ameobi. All three very experienced and good figures to have around the club. They supported Kevin Nolan.

We needed a replacement up front for Ameobi and on paper Hemings and Dennis looked right. Dennis has been a bitter disappointment to date the question is why are we not getting the best out of him? Thankfully Stead has been able to pick up the slack.

Our defence last season of Collin, Tootle, Brisley, Duffy, Jones and Dickinson did enough. Taking Collin out of the equation for all his faults was a mistake in hindsight although Fitzsimmons seems to be doing well now.

The midfield needed improvement and Enzio has been the best in terms of wingers which has pushed Hawkridge out of contention whereas Alessandra has been much improved coming into the middle. Hewitt in the centre would be fine but we’ve not signed anyone worthy of note excluding Milsom who is on loan. This is where our problems were created. Far too many lightweight midfielders. We needed Bishops and Ravenhill types.

So overall Kevin Nolan yes, but in terms of summer recruitment and a change of direction it’s been a disaster. I was not overwhelmed by the appointment of Harry Kewell and think he comes across as a bit brash, but to be fair he’s only got what has been left for him to work with. Maybe in January we will see how good his recruitment is. In Harry Kewell this smells as a potential Paul Ince type of appointment, a name with an ego and the potential for it to go very wrong, although to be fair under Paul Ince we got a draw against Man City in the cup.

I’d take a point at Oldham and an expecting at least four points from Cheltenham at home and Morecombe away as a minimum. That would put us on 18 points from 19 games which would still be 3 points short of being on target to finish the season on 50 points.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 04-11-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Should stuck with Nolan

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    Is this the same KN that when asked if wanted anymore defenders said....No, despite conceding a bucket full of goals and plating Husin and Crawford as a CM pairing. Under Nolan we averaged 0.20 points per game and weren't even close to being competitive. HK has won 1.09 points per game which if he had started the season as manager would have us 2 places higher.

All 3 of his signings have improved the team. Of course he has made mistakes but he's magic victories out of a lifeless squad.

Under Nolan, we would just about have 3 points now
    Why would Nolan think we wanted defenders when we had the 3rd best defense last season?

And Nolan wanted to keep Collin, and was not given time to correct the situation

you cant judge any manager on just 5 games. Hk has 1 point from last 4 game, a breath of fresh air lol

. Hk told us he sort it out in 2 months ( His Words)

I believe we would have more points than 13 points if Nolan was in charge for 15 games

HK magic victories?? He could not even squat a fly of his own neck

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast