+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: on this day

on this day

cesc fabregas made his debut aged 17 against rotherham in the cup.

my memories of the game byfield missing a sitter from a header 5 yards out.

the announcer getting the arsenal fans to give the rotherham fans around off applause which they did.

pollit getting sent off and Montgomery scoring a penalty.

Remember Byfield smashing in a header from 5 yards, don't remember him missing one but not disputing it. Remember Pollitt trying to blag the ref after his blatant handball outside the box, pointing to his head. His replacement, Montgomery, put in a fine display, never to be surpassed as it turned out.

Felt a bit hard done by at the end of it all. Good day/night out that was.

I remember him saying he owed us the goal he scored after missing the sitter, but I don’t remember the sitter myself. Ive got the video of the match but haven’t got a video player anymore so that’s not use.

I remember him missing what would’ve been the winning penalty. Tried to be clever with the centre of the goal soft chip but hit the crossbar.

Had a big presentation to make at work the next morning.

Voice was, to say the least, croaky !

Remember going straight to the Underground after the game then realising there was a bit of a Queue !

@ Loyal - Photo Me (or similar) at Morrisons Bramley do a Video to DVD transfer service
    Last edited by BramleyMiller58; 28-10-2018 at 07:09 PM.

we drove to rotherham and got the supporters coach down to London.

Sitter was in front of the rotherham fans cross from the left (as we looked at the goal)he was about goal kick line if not a bit closer in between pen spot and left post was easier to score than miss.

the fans chanting we want robin's to Ronnie moore when 1-0 down (never did come on) can remember getting dropped off at millmoore walking to the car park and Ronnie moore was looking out of his office (I guess) at the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by loyalmiller View Post

I remember him missing what would’ve been the winning penalty. Tried to be clever with the centre of the goal soft chip but hit the crossbar.
    Yes, I was there. Byfield tried to bluff their keeper into diving early using a "stuttering" run-up, which worked, but then his chip hit the bar. Desperately unlucky ...
    Swailes must be one of the few players who has taken TWO penalties in a British penalty shoot-out (second one was saved - he should have blasted it again)
    Last edited by mikemiller; 28-10-2018 at 09:22 PM.