+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our Midfield

Our Midfield

Ok so we all know we can’t keep a clean sheet. The back line is so nervous with this obsession to insist the lads can only play short passes. Openly declaring this tactic to the world is gratefully accepted by our opposition and makes their pre match preparations simple.
    But in my opinion just as was the case last year it is our midfield that is the issue.
    How many of our opposition midfielders have scored against us this year ? How many times have we let the opposition waltz forward, glance up and pick out the top corner. I’ve never known anything like it ! We get nowhere near to closing them down, time and time again.
    Our central midfield as a unit is poor in terms of creativity with little energy to drive forward and support the attack. But far worse is their ability to shield the defence. With only 3 lads at the back we really must sort our midfield out.
    It is not just tactics, we don’t have the resources. How can DM setup a midfield when he needs to consider that Brunt, Mears, Barry. Morrison and Hoolahan cant be expected to complete a full 90 mins due to their age. Realistically we are lucky to get a decent 45 Mins from any of them especially if the other side are energetic .
    Having older players in midfield is not the same as having them at the back. Defenders often only have 40 yds to patrol , and the opposition should be in front of them . In Midfield it’s a 360 degree aspect and potentially the full pitch.
    Yes having experience is necessary, especially at the back, but having no energy in midfield is costing us.
    Last edited by wbaliquidator; 28-10-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Why not give Field and Harper a run then?

Thats the problem they are not good enough.
    We needed to replace some older ones with quality in the summer and not make matters worse by bringing in more older ones!
    Dads Army
    Last edited by wbaliquidator; 28-10-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wbaliquidator View Post
    Ok so we all know we can’t keep a clean sheet. The back line is so nervous with this obsession to insist the lads can only play short passes. Openly declaring this tactic to the world is gratefully accepted by our opposition and makes their pre match preparations simple.
    But in my opinion just as was the case last year it is our midfield that is the issue.
    How many of our opposition midfielders have scored against us this year ? How many times have we let the opposition waltz forward, glance up and pick out the top corner. I’ve never known anything like it ! We get nowhere near to closing them down, time and time again.
    Our central midfield as a unit is poor in terms of creativity with little energy to drive forward and support the attack. But far worse is their ability to shield the defence. With only 3 lads at the back we really must sort our midfield out.
    It is not just tactics, we don’t have the resources. How can DM setup a midfield when he needs to consider that Brunt, Mears, Barry. Morrison and Hoolahan cant be expected to complete a full 90 mins due to their age. Realistically we are lucky to get a decent 45 Mins from any of them especially if the other side are energetic .
    Having older players in midfield is not the same as having them at the back. Defenders often only have 40 yds to patrol , and the opposition should be in front of them . In Midfield it’s a 360 degree aspect and potentially the full pitch.
    Yes having experience is necessary, especially at the back, but having no energy in midfield is costing us.
    In a nutshell this is pretty much my view too.

We could perm any two from six centre midfielders at the club and they’re all too slow/old and cumbersome. Maybe DM thought that our Premier League left overs would cope easily with experience alone in the Chump, it’s obvious to everyone they can’t.

What is needed now is for DM to have realised this quickly by lining up targets ready for January, if Lai doesn’t want to fork out then we all know where we stand with old Prawn Cracker breath.

As for Sam Field, nothing against the lad but I’m not feeling the love, I’m not convinced he’s a midfielder at all, more of a centre half maybe? Infact there you go, Iv just solved one problem, Oi Bartley! Give young Sam your shirt!

The problem with the midfield is we're outnumbered.

The problem with the back three is they're not good enough to play the way they're being asked.

Play with a back four and an extra body or two in midfield.

OR if they insist on a back three then one of them needs to be Barry, another one of the three should be Hegazi.

At least they can pass the bloody ball to a team mate most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    The problem with the midfield is we're outnumbered.

The problem with the back three is they're not good enough to play the way they're being asked.

Play with a back four and an extra body or two in midfield.

OR if they insist on a back three then one of them needs to be Barry, another one of the three should be Hegazi.

At least they can pass the bloody ball to a team mate most of the time.
    There is no "out" ball hence the sideways suicide balls. Numerous times Tosin had the ball yesterday but there was no forward pass on. As you said we need an extra body in midfield and in my view at the expense of Rodriguez. One up top with Barnes in just behind.
    I too would play Barry in the back three.

Quote Originally Posted by wbaliquidator View Post
    What midfield ?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)