+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: But for our Chairman.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

But for our Chairman.....

I was glancing through the leagues in the paper and it brought back memories of playing against so many teams from yesteryear. Looking where we are now makes you grateful for the likes of the Stewart family.

Vanarama National league:
    Leyton Orient
    Wrexham
    Hartlepool
    Barnet
    Aldershot
    Chesterfield
    Dag and Red

Vanarama North
    Boston Utd
    Chester
    York
    Stockport County
    Darlington
    Hereford
    Southport

Vanarama South
    Torquay

It makes you think where we would be now, or what league we'd be in, without the interjection of Tony Stewart.
    Imagine stood with crowds of between 200-500 stuck in Parkgate on a Saturday.

To be honest Brin, I don't think we'd have had a club to support at all.
    People weren't exactly queuing up to get involved with the financial wreck that Rotherham United were at the time Tony Stewart took the helm.
    We have a lot to be grateful for when you look at what's happened to the clubs you've listed. UTM.

Also big thanks to Robins and Breck for keeping us in the league when we had that big points deduction. That was a fair feat and at the time I think we were just grateful we had a club to support. They soon wiped that deficit off though didnt they and even flirted with the play off positions at one stage that season.

Fans need to remember this when they are moaning about us struggling in the championship unfortunatelty some don't !

If we stay up this year and have another crack at the big boys again next season I'll be more than happy.

UTM!
    Last edited by rolymiller; 29-10-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Also big thanks to Robins and Breck for keeping us in the league when we had that big points deduction. That was a fair feat and at the time I think we were just grateful we had a club to support. They soon wiped that deficit off though didnt they and even flirted with the play off positions at one stage that season.

Fans need to remember this when they are moaning about us struggling in the championship unfortunatelty some don't !

If we stay up this year and have another crack at the big boys again next season I'll be more than happy.

UTM!
    I agree, Roly... and Brin's list doesn't include Workington, Barrow, Bradford PA, Maidstone, who we saw playing against us at Millmoor, and the teams that spent time out of the Football League (many years in some cases) but eventually returned. Some of the teams on Brin's list were good FA Cup teams too (unlike us) which sometimes made a big difference to their finances, but now may be starting in the early qualifying rounds, so are very unlikely to get as far as a meeting a Premier League team in the competition.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 29-10-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Done well.

Not quite as well as Bournemouth mind.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Done well.

Not quite as well as Bournemouth mind.
    Yes but for every Bournemouth, there are 10 York Citys.

A few not even there any more - Darlington, Bradford PA, Halifax probably more.

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    A few not even there any more - Darlington, Bradford PA, Halifax probably more.
    Darlington and Bradford PA are in the National League North with York etc.

Halifax are in the National League with Chesterfailed.

Quote Originally Posted by tony260674 View Post
    Yes but for every Bournemouth, there are 10 York Citys.
    And we were in no position to take the risks that they did. Secretive Russian owner throwing money at it (against the rules) - I would have been very uneasy with that because lots of clubs have tried similar and failed. They could have easily not got promoted to the Premier, then been stuck with penalties in the Championship and who knows where from then? We must be happy that we don’t haw to fear for the survival of the club for the forseeable future and we have had lots of success too. I’m delighted to be a Rotherham United fan.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo88 View Post
    And we were in no position to take the risks that they did. Secretive Russian owner throwing money at it (against the rules) - I would have been very uneasy with that because lots of clubs have tried similar and failed. They could have easily not got promoted to the Premier, then been stuck with penalties in the Championship and who knows where from then? We must be happy that we don’t haw to fear for the survival of the club for the forseeable future and we have had lots of success too. I’m delighted to be a Rotherham United fan.
    Spot on Harpo. That, together with the fact that they have an excellent manager who knows the club inside out. It's the perfect fit. Sound familiar? I believe that if Paul Warne continues as he is doing and stays with the Millers we will be in for some great times. Premiership? Probably not, but hey its be done before with Blackpool so lets keep dreaming. The fact is that we are a Championship club with young exciting players and are financially sound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast