+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T Poppies

Quote Originally Posted by RhubarbPie View Post
    So, will you be wearing a poppy this November?

I've still to hear the official leftist position on it, this year, are we allowed to wear them, or will there be another outrage outburst from the rampant, foaming-at-the-mouth left wingers?
    Where was this 'outrage outburst from the rampant, foaming-at-the-mouth left wingers?'

The 'leftists' (whoever they are) don't have any official position on this.

This OP is just mischief-making.

While I'm here though - yes I'll be wearing a poppy, although I don't tend to wear it until the week leading up to the 11th. The reason is that if I wore it now, by that time I'd be so used to it that it wouldn't mean so much to me. Perhaps I'm wrong - but that's my reasoning.

I see James McClean's decided not to wear a poppy again this year......

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Where was this 'outrage outburst from the rampant, foaming-at-the-mouth left wingers?'

The 'leftists' (whoever they are) don't have any official position on this.

This OP is just mischief-making.

While I'm here though - yes I'll be wearing a poppy, although I don't tend to wear it until the week leading up to the 11th. The reason is that if I wore it now, by that time I'd be so used to it that it wouldn't mean so much to me. Perhaps I'm wrong - but that's my reasoning.
    But the left have hijacked it and turned what should be a solemn acknowledgement, into a political farce.
    But am I really surprised?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/87...british-legion

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    But the left have hijacked it and turned what should be a solemn acknowledgement, into a political farce.

It's a pathetic argument on both sides. That Express article promotes the idea that 'lefty commentators' have hijacked the poppy but provides little evidence, if any, apart from a few soundbites. A loony student union rep or a FIFA wig applying laws literally doesn't equate to a 'highjacking'.

Those of us who aren't arsed know that it's been used by a small minority on the left AND the right. To suggest otherwise is to put yourself in the opposite minority. The rest of us either wear one or not and just let everyone else get on with it.

Lefty here but got my poppy today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    It's a pathetic argument on both sides. That Express article promotes the idea that 'lefty commentators' have hijacked the poppy but provides little evidence, if any, apart from a few soundbites. A loony student union rep or a FIFA wig applying laws literally doesn't equate to a 'highjacking'.

Those of us who aren't arsed know that it's been used by a small minority on the left AND the right. To suggest otherwise is to put yourself in the opposite minority. The rest of us either wear one or not and just let everyone else get on with it.
    I agree wholeheartedly. The guy from the British Legion even says he's fine with white poppies.

I'd say the most important thing is that the sacrifice of those men is remembered. It's up to each individual to decide how they want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post

'A growing number of people, from Lefty commentators to the international football body FIFA, have condemned or attempted to reduce the impact and symbolism of the red poppy'.

Are you really suggesting that a pathetic jibe from the Daily Express means that the left have an anti-poppy policy?. Absolute rubbish!

You call the Guardian, but then gobble up every word of the Express and Mail!

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Bought a load today for 1p each. Gonna invite my mates Abdul and Paddy round later and ritually burn them.

Keeps the house lovely and warm, but the plastic smells a bit.
    How sad you must be. It is thanks to all the people that "Poppy Day" commemorates that you are able to make such crass comments.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Bought a load today for 1p each. Gonna invite my mates Abdul and Paddy round later and ritually burn them.

Keeps the house lovely and warm, but the plastic smells a bit.
    You are a total disgrace to the young men who died for us...typical labour ass hole.Thank god we have decent people in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    You are a total disgrace to the young men who died for us...typical labour ass hole.Thank god we have decent people in the world.
    A lot of them Labour ass holes. Tory dick.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast