+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memoirs of.. Swansea City

Memoirs of.. Swansea City

Been meaning to do this for a while - post memorable moments or experiences, good or bad, of past games against upcoming opponents, and invite everyone to post theirs. So next up - Swansea City.

The only game that really stands out for me was the third division (league 2 now) title decider in 2000. But it stands out for all the wrong reasons.
    With both teams already promoted and Rotherham needing a win to clinch the title, and Swansea needing a point, the pre match mood should have been excitement and anticipation. A promotion party where both sets of fans could join in. Some might remember it that way or prefer to. I remember a constant threat of trouble and after a few jars in town decided to make my way to the ground with my mates.
    We walked past Yates' where hundreds of Swansea lads were drinking, watched by a line of riot police.
    We took our place in the tivoli end, which was filling up quickly despite it being a good half an hour before kick off. Inside the ground the mood was celebratory. Their mascot, that ridiculous 8ft tall Swan, did it's best to incite the home crowd, goading in front of the tivoli before pinching one of our players ' tracky top from the pitch and taking it to the away end and throwing it into their crowd.

Ronnie and John were on the pitch signing new contracts when I noticed out of the corner of my left eye, fans on the open Millmoor Lane terrace scattering. Then I saw the bricks and bottles flying over the wall from outside the ground. people ran for cover and got their children to safety, while others returned fire on the Swansea fans who going down the narrow Millmoor Lane.
    I didn't see the chaos outside the ground at that point but by all accounts it wasn't pretty and a Swansea fan ended up under a police horse and later lost his life.

The match itself is a bit of a blur, Swansea were probably the the better team and took the lead via a penalty in the 2nd half, sparking the first pitch invasions of the day. we were later awarded the softest penalty ever in front of the Tivoli end, sparking a pitch invasion of our own. A Swansea player got kicked up the backside, there were people literally leaning against the goalposts as Lee Glover put the penalty away, and another pitch invasion ensued, this time a few fans of each side fancied a ruck on the pitch, police horses came on to usher everyone back behind the touchline. Think we had another chance to win late on but it wasn't to be and we had to settle for the runners up spot.

The following season we got promoted again while Swansea were relegated. They've definitely been the more successful club from that moment on.

A fair description from what I recall, Hazza. It was a dour, defensive Swansea team that pipped us to the title by a point. Swansea F51 A30, Millers F72 A36. I think that John Hollins was their manager at the time, but his same tactics didn't work for the Swans at the next level up.

I always thought that narrow away entrance was a recipe for disaster but that wasn't where the death occurred I don't think.

Nicely written, HHAG. A day that should have ended far better than it did.

As we prepare to play them again in a few days time, I wonder how may of the trouble-makers will be in the crowd again? (I shall be over on Thursday and this is the first of two matches I'll attend this year. Hopefully it will be a peaceful affair (and a Miller's victory, of course!)

My memory of the day is that I was amazed at just how many of our fans were unbelievably stupid.

We get a penalty near the end but with enough time to score the penalty and get another goal and actually finish top of the league.

So hundreds of idiots invade the pitch. I think the penalty was delayed by about 15 minutes while police tried to restore order. Even then, as Hazza says, the fans were still on the pitch. Glover scored but the ref blew for full time , very early, to get the players off the pitch.

I saw one bloke running up and down the pitch with a little girl on his shoulders even though there were police horses galloping about close by.

Pre match there were loads of drunken Swansea fans looking for trouble in town.

The Swansea fan's death may have been in part due to over zealous action by a mounted policeman - I don't know I didn't witness it. By all accounts it was in response to more drunken yobbery between rival fans near the Millmoor pub. Again - I didn't witness it.

A black day in our history

Strange one for me this. I was in Sierra Leone working as an aid worker (bloody do gooders) all went horrible and we were evacuated in urgency. Now I was taken to Guinea and given an Air France ticket that got me back to London early Saturday of the game. A friend managed to get me a ticket. Air France though had other ideas and decided to have a strike (I think it might have been baggage handlers, don't quite recall). Plane delayed and didn't get in London till around midday. Never made the game and stayed with mates in Clapham. Looking at the way the game went it was probably a blessing. Coming from a place of extreme poverty and senseless violence to a football match full of senseless violence would have probably put me off the human race for life.

Without doubt my worst ever day at a football match.

Absolutely sickening.

I will never forget watching the bricks rain down on those stood on the Millmoor Lane terrace.

Lots of rumours that day that Blades fans came looking for trouble with Swansea fans which made a potentially explosive situation much worse.

Don't know how true that is.

For some reason we decided to skip our usual position on Millmoor Lane and went onto the "best side" under the old press box.

Rather glad we did

This picture was taken at the match was on the front of the green un ....and later used by the Rotherham United as
    Supporters trust
    Don’t know why they’re upside down
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Without doubt my worst ever day at a football match.

Absolutely sickening.

I will never forget watching the bricks rain down on those stood on the Millmoor Lane terrace.

Lots of rumours that day that Blades fans came looking for trouble with Swansea fans which made a potentially explosive situation much worse.

Don't know how true that is.
    Think that was in Sheffield near the train station, lots of Swansea fans went for a swift one in the Howard and were met by the BBC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast