+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Arabs vs. Doonhamers

Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    I'm not sure this was the keeper's ball to claim. There's an area in the penalty box where a cross like that can sort of stop the keeper from getting the ball. A sort of no man's land area...
    I absolutely disagree that Martin can`t deal with that ball. What`s more he acknowledges his error and it`s clear from the post match interview that GN shares that view. What`s worse is that he does start to come out and is caught in a position wher he can neither claim the cross nor save the header,

Quote Originally Posted by Dobmeister View Post
    I absolutely disagree that Martin can`t deal with that ball. What`s more he acknowledges his error and it`s clear from the post match interview that GN shares that view. What`s worse is that he does start to come out and is caught in a position wher he can neither claim the cross nor save the header,
    Just to try and put things into perspective.
    Players at this level are probably on £500 to £600 a week which is probably the average wage for a working man doing most other work.
    Despite this, the expectations of most fans seem to be as high as they would be if the players were playing at a high level.
    IMO most players in this league are marginally better (with the odd exception) than thosd playing for fee on a weekend.
    Martin should we'll have done better but there's lots of times when you'll see the same type of miss judgement at the highest level.
    He's doing his best as I'm sure all are so stick with them.

Quote Originally Posted by newby View Post
    Players at this level are probably on £500 to £600 a week which is probably the average wage for a working man doing most other work.
    Despite this, the expectations of most fans seem to be as high as they would be if the players were playing at a high level.
    IMO most players in this league are marginally better (with the odd exception) than thosd playing for fee on a weekend.
    Martin should we'll have done better but there's lots of times when you'll see the same type of miss judgement at the highest level.
    Excellent points made and lets face it we are all prone to make mistakes in life which none of us intentionally do. What we need to see is how they learn from these mistakes and eliminate them from their game. Martin is a decent shot stopper and his physicality should mean that he dominates the penalty box so that any crosses are his to claim or clear taking the opposition players with him at the same time if necessary. Let's hope that the lessons have been learnt but giving Langfield a start would be an appropriate shot across his bows simply to say that his performances need to improve.

I don`t doubt for a second that Martin is doing his best as are the other players. That said we are playing at a decent level and Martin`s performances are riddled with uncertainty. I`m not expecting him to be of a standard that isn`t reasonable at our club but thus far IMHO he`s been somewhat below that level. I fully accept all our players and those at higher level will make mistakes. It`s my opinion that Martin continues to make too many. FWIW I think there is a decent keeper in there but he nneds to up his game.
    Also players in the Championship are considerably better than those who play for free on a weekend. In all honesty it`s like night and day (IMO)

Spike - I totally agree that everyone can and does make mistakes. However, there is one important lesson that I learned many years ago which is this: you must learn from your mistakes and do everything in your power to (try to) prevent it from happening again.

Now, - as has been said many times on this board since Martin first came to the club, he is a decent shot stopper but is bloody useless at cross balls, - and has he tried to improve that aspect of his game? - The answer is a simple no.

If dealing with cross balls was not an important aspect of the game, - Queens would be probably sitting near the top of the league, - but it is very much an integral part of the game, and even Formartine our Highland League opponents will know that all they need to do to cause panic in our defence is to float in some balls into the six yard area.....that simply cannot be right!

So from now on at training Martin should practice coming out to catch or punch cross balls, - and while he's at it he should also concentrate on trying to kick towards a given target.....how many times does he either kick the ball into touch or straight to the opposition with no Queens players in that area?

Believe it or not this is NOT a 'get at Martin post,' - this is actually a constructive post which I believe, if implemented, could transform our keeper from a very ordinary player, into one who is full of confidence and who is able to instill that confidence into the rest of the team.

That transformation may take several months, but it is critically important that he starts work now and begins to demonstrate a new found confidence and ability which will reassure the home crowds and hopefully strike fear into the opposition strikers.

Sadly at the moment, it is Martin who looks fearful and totally unsure of how to deal with cross balls which with every passing game can only make matters worse for him. So once again I would be saying to him, - "look you're a really good keeper, but we need to work hard on cross balls to boost your confidence and take the pressure of your defenders"

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Spike - I totally agree that everyone can and does make mistakes. However, there is one important lesson that I learned many years ago which is this: you must learn from your mistakes and do everything in your power to (try to) prevent it from happening again.

Now, - as has been said many times on this board since Martin first came to the club, he is a decent shot stopper but is bloody useless at cross balls, - and has he tried to improve that aspect of his game? - The answer is a simple no.

If dealing with cross balls was not an important aspect of the game, - Queens would be probably sitting near the top of the league, - but it is very much an integral part of the game, and even Formartine our Highland League opponents will know that all they need to do to cause panic in our defence is to float in some balls into the six yard area.....that simply cannot be right!

So from now on at training Martin should practice coming out to catch or punch cross balls, - and while he's at it he should also concentrate on trying to kick towards a given target.....how many times does he either kick the ball into touch or straight to the opposition with no Queens players in that area?

Believe it or not this is NOT a 'get at Martin post,' - this is actually a constructive post which I believe, if implemented, could transform our keeper from a very ordinary player, into one who is full of confidence and who is able to instill that confidence into the rest of the team.

That transformation may take several months, but it is critically important that he starts work now and begins to demonstrate a new found confidence and ability which will reassure the home crowds and hopefully strike fear into the opposition strikers.

Sadly at the moment, it is Martin who looks fearful and totally unsure of how to deal with cross balls which with every passing game can only make matters worse for him. So once again I would be saying to him, - "look you're a really good keeper, but we need to work hard on cross balls to boost your confidence and take the pressure of your defenders"
    I dont think that he helps himself in the fact that he is out of condition ,he's certainly no athlete but has bags of experience and that should make him half decent

I dont think that he helps himself in the fact that he is out of condition ,he's certainly no athlete but has bags of experience and that should make him half decent
    Those of us of a certain vintage will remember keepers who fitted the bill of both being out of condition and experienced. I`ll give you John Burridge, Roddy McKenzie. Both bags of experience, no athletes and bot just not good enough. Martin for all his faults easily better than either.
    Seriously unless there is an injury related matter then it`s just not acceptable if Martin is "out of condition".

I know from completing the SFA Level 2 Goalkeeping course and being coached by Terry Gennoe (formerly GK with Blackburn and Southampton) and GK coach at Blackburn, Newcastle, Celtic and Aston Villa) that cross balls are an integral part of goalkeeping. Well just think on corners for a start and free kicks and balls crossed in from wide areas.
    There's a particular way to stand for a keeper for cross balls, where your feet and body are at a 45 degree angle. With Gennoe we had 6 to 8 keepers at a training session where one would cross the ball into either the front post, centre of goal or back post and the keeper has to decide where the ball was arriving. We also had one shadowing as a striker, as it is easy enough to collect a ball under no pressure.
    There is no way that Leighfield and Martin aren't practicing this in Queens training sessions.
    For the SFA Level 2 Goalkeeping course we had Bobby Geddes and Paul Mathers...

[QUOTE=ALBERTZ_11;39056647]I know from completing the SFA Level 2 Goalkeeping course and being coached by Terry Gennoe (formerly GK with Blackburn and Southampton) and GK coach at Blackburn, Newcastle, Celtic and Aston Villa) that cross balls are an integral part of goalkeeping. Well just think on corners for a start and free kicks and balls crossed in from wide areas.
    There's a particular way to stand for a keeper for cross balls, where your feet and body are at a 45 degree angle. With Gennoe we had 6 to 8 keepers at a training session where one would cross the ball into either the front post, centre of goal or back post and the keeper has to decide where the ball was arriving. We also had one shadowing as a striker, as it is easy enough to collect a ball under no pressure.
    There is no way that Leighfield and Martin aren't practicing this in Queens training sessions.
    For the SFA Level 2 Goalkeeping course we had Bobby Geddes and Paul Mathers...[/QUOT
    There's not many times when at this level you will see a goalkeeper competing for a crossed ball ,they all seem to attempt to deal with it if it comes at them.
    Coaching keepers is one thing but as you say matches are a different kettle of fish.
    I know that I've watched quite a few goalkeepers warm up and train and they are given numerous consecutive half volleys which ive never actually seen happen in a game.
    A great deal to of time is spent on catching and you'll rarely see a keeper catch anything these days

[QUOTE=newby;39056824]
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    I know from completing the SFA Level 2 Goalkeeping course and being coached by Terry Gennoe (formerly GK with Blackburn and Southampton) and GK coach at Blackburn, Newcastle, Celtic and Aston Villa) that cross balls are an integral part of goalkeeping. Well just think on corners for a start and free kicks and balls crossed in from wide areas.
    For the SFA Level 2 Goalkeeping course we had Bobby Geddes and Paul Mathers...[/QUOT
    There's not many times when at this level you will see a goalkeeper competing for a crossed ball ,they all seem to attempt to deal with it if it comes at them.
    Coaching keepers is one thing but as you say matches are a different kettle of fish.
    I know that I've watched quite a few goalkeepers warm up and train and they are given numerous consecutive half volleys which ive never actually seen happen in a game.
    A great deal to of time is spent on catching and you'll rarely see a keeper catch anything these days

i think martins problem is a simple lack of bravery ,after his latest setbacks with injuries ,it will be in his head now which he will need to sort ,cause he defo has to start coming off his line and clattering through and claiming balls ,he has the bulk that would scare strikers from 50 50s he needs a sports psychologist to sort him i think .

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)