+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike riders on the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    I have done a lot of cycling over recent years (recreational not commuting) and would agree that there are some, but not many, arrogant riders. The Problem is car and van drivers. The standard of driving is appalling and to my mind, the blame for the hostility between car/van drivers lies squarely with those on four wheels, many of whom have probably never ridden a bicycle. I have been riding along roads, usually alone, so not ‘obstructing’ people who can’t be delayed for more than two seconds, and been sworn at, been spat at and had things thrown at me. Add to that the idiots that either don’t look or don’t care and pull out across ones path. So, to those who think that cyclists are a menace, I say take off your blinkers, use some common sense and get out on a bike and see for yourselves how many @rseholes there are behind steering wheels.

What’s the law regarding riding three or four abreast and in a peleton on U.K. roads Kets?

We have a big issue as mentioned by Stripes about Lycra clad 60-70 year olds blocking local lanes at weekends whilst out cycling and having a good chat with each other?

It’s this sort of behaviour that gets on drivers t I t s as I suspect it does you when you’re driving?

Go out exercising on your bike,that’s fine but why not in single file,what gives cyclists the right to fill the width of the road?

Is it legal?

PS. I had a late breakfast and now feel slightly queezy at the thought of you squeezed into Lycra!

Cyclists have as much right to be on the road as drivers and I believe that the Highway Code allows for cyclists to ride two abreast and stipulates that passing drivers should allow at least 3 feet between themselves and a bicycle. Many don’t. Obviously, cyclists are the vulnerable ones in any coming together with cars, so it is understandable that we are vary wary of the (many) idiotic and inconsiderate drivers. Anyway, if you are held up behind a bike for a few seconds, will it destroy your life? Impatience by a driver may well, though, destroy the life of a cyclist. Yes, I did know a cyclist killed by an impatient, speeding driver.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    What’s the law regarding riding three or four abreast and in a peleton on U.K. roads Kets?

We have a big issue as mentioned by Stripes about Lycra clad 60-70 year olds blocking local lanes at weekends whilst out cycling and having a good chat with each other?

It’s this sort of behaviour that gets on drivers t I t s as I suspect it does you when you’re driving?

Go out exercising on your bike,that’s fine but why not in single file,what gives cyclists the right to fill the width of the road?

Is it legal?

PS. I had a late breakfast and now feel slightly queezy at the thought of you squeezed into Lycra!
    Mick. I'm in the next village up from where you are so we probably get the same cyclists 10 minutes before you do on a Sunday!

I don't get this that its all the fault of the motorist (or the cyclist for that matter) It's down to bad manners and not giving a f*** about others whether you're in a car or on two wheels. There are some awful drivers around for sure. Around where I live people tank up country lanes way too fast and all too frequently take blind bends on the assumption there's nothing coming. But then we have cyclists who travel down small lanes going way to fast frequently in packs of 20 or 30.

Some time ago a middle aged lycra warrior hit a pedestrian very close to where I live as he took a corner too fast where there was a crossing point. I asked the police who turned up about this three abreast thing. Two abreast is legal although he said the Highway Code is ambiguous as it refers to riding 3 abreast as 'should not' whilst later stating it is illegal. He said either way its bad manners to other road users and that the police generally do those riding 3 abreast on another charge as the Highway Code currently needs to be re-written for this particular offence.
    Last edited by stripes39; 01-11-2018 at 12:04 PM.

I’m an OAPIL (Old Age Pensioner In Lycra) and, for the last 10 years, have been riding circa 300 miles a month on the ‘local’ minor roads. Occasionally, I have the need to utilise an A road.
    My observation is that there are arrogant cyclists and indeed ignorant car drivers. I’m sure like Ketts, we are courteous. I cycle both alone and as a pair and always conscious of cars /vehicles. Great to see sometimes drivers holding back to overtake me when approaching a bend. I will always acknowledge same with a wave to the driver.
    Similarly, moving to single file from 2 abreast often is greeted with a beep or hazard flash from the passing vehicle.
    I’m sure its a case of ‘6 of one and half a dozen of the other’. Both those ignorant cyclists and drivers will be discourteous in life generally I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    Mick. I'm in the next village up from where you are so we probably get the same cyclists 10 minutes before you do on a Sunday!

I don't get this that its all the fault of the motorist (or the cyclist for that matter) It's down to bad manners and not giving a f*** about others whether you're in a car or on two wheels. There are some awful drivers around for sure. Around where I live people tank up country lanes way too fast and all too frequently take blind bends on the assumption there's nothing coming. But then we have cyclists who travel down small lanes going way to fast frequently in packs of 20 or 30.

Some time ago a middle aged lycra warrior hit a pedestrian very close to where I live as he took a corner too fast where there was a crossing point. I asked the police who turned up about this three abreast thing. Two abreast is legal although he said the Highway Code is ambiguous as it refers to riding 3 abreast as 'should not' whilst later stating it is illegal. He said either way its bad manners to other road users and that the police generally do those riding 3 abreast on another charge as the Highway Code currently needs to be re-written for this particular offence.
    Are you in Belbrougton Stripes?

You know doubt know Briar Hill leading out of Chaddesley Corbett towards Belbtoughton,cyclists are a nightmare on here at weekends riding up the hill at one mile an hour due to the fact they are so old!

They ride three and four abreast merrily chatting away and due to the nature of the road and it’s bends you can be stuck behind them for a couple of minutes or more.

I go out down Tanwood Lane just off that road and a few weeks ago a female cyclist cane tearing down the hill and almost hit me from behind,I suspect it would’ve done her great damage if she’d come off.

Why do bike riders no longer ring their bell,I haven’t heard a bike Bell in years.

Take a trip down Tanwood Lane any given afternoon Stripes and you’ll be amazed at the number of druggies parked up doing deals and getting high.

I’m the athlete in the blue waterproof jacket with eyes in the back of his head!

Wind the window down and say hello if you see me,at this time of the year I’m out in the last hour or so before it gets dark so at the moment I’m out around 3.45pm to 4.45pm.

Beware though,I run back from my furthest point so you may just see a blue blur!

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    I’m an OAPIL (Old Age Pensioner In Lycra) and, for the last 10 years, have been riding circa 300 miles a month on the ‘local’ minor roads. Occasionally, I have the need to utilise an A road.
    My observation is that there are arrogant cyclists and indeed ignorant car drivers. I’m sure like Ketts, we are courteous. I cycle both alone and as a pair and always conscious of cars /vehicles. Great to see sometimes drivers holding back to overtake me when approaching a bend. I will always acknowledge same with a wave to the driver.
    Similarly, moving to single file from 2 abreast often is greeted with a beep or hazard flash from the passing vehicle.
    I’m sure its a case of ‘6 of one and half a dozen of the other’. Both those ignorant cyclists and drivers will be discourteous in life generally I suspect.
    Spot on Prando. It's all down to whether you feel you should show a little courtesy to others and meet people half way. Many people do not. Bikes, cars, horses, tractors, unruly kids etc etc just highlight the lack of manners some people have in not giving a toss about anyone but themselves.

Are you in Belbrougton Stripes?

You know doubt know Briar Hill leading out of Chaddesley Corbett towards Belbtoughton,cyclists are a nightmare on here at weekends riding up the hill at one mile an hour due to the fact they are so old!

They ride three and four abreast merrily chatting away and due to the nature of the road and it’s bends you can be stuck behind them for a couple of minutes or more.

I go out down Tanwood Lane just off that road and a few weeks ago a female cyclist cane tearing down the hill and almost hit me from behind,I suspect it would’ve done her great damage if she’d come off.

Why do bike riders no longer ring their bell,I haven’t heard a bike Bell in years.

Take a trip down Tanwood Lane any given afternoon Stripes and you’ll be amazed at the number of druggies parked up doing deals and getting high.

I’m the athlete in the blue waterproof jacket with eyes in the back of his head!

Wind the window down and say hello if you see me,at this time of the year I’m out in the last hour or so before it gets dark so at the moment I’m out around 3.45pm to 4.45pm.

Beware though,I run back from my furthest point so you may just see a blue blur!
    Hi Mick. Yes, I'm in Belbroughton. I'll look out for a blue flash when i get out of my taxi in Chaddesley Woods.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    Hi Mick. Yes, I'm in Belbroughton. I'll look out for a blue flash when i get out of my taxi in Chaddesley Woods.

LOL Stripes!

I very nearly bought a house on Hattie Lane that had had a very modern renovation about two years ago and then I found out it was next to my old solicitor who had built a bungalow in the adjoining plot.

He’s a bit of a character is Brian.....I think most people in your area know him,he used to be about 30 stone but he’s skimmed down a bit since he retired.

Drank like a fish,always p I ss e d if you had an afternoon appointment with him :-))

Yes, it should be about live and let live, literally! However, I still think that cyclists have much more to complain about regarding drivers than the other way around. It is rare for a cyclist to cause death by dangerous riding but common, unfortunately, for drivers to cause death by dangerous driving, to pedestrians, cyclists and other drivers. I walk through my village every day with my dog and estimate that 90% of vehicles are exceeding the speed limit; there are no cyclists exceeding the speed limit (unless the likes of Chris Froome have come through unnoticed). Probably the worst offenders are the white van delivery drivers who never adhere to the speed limits, drive on footpaths and generally don’t give a damn about anybody else.

LOL Stripes!

I very nearly bought a house on Hattie Lane that had had a very modern renovation about two years ago and then I found out it was next to my old solicitor who had built a bungalow in the adjoining plot.

He’s a bit of a character is Brian.....I think most people in your area know him,he used to be about 30 stone but he’s skimmed down a bit since he retired.

Drank like a fish,always p I ss e d if you had an afternoon appointment with him :-))
    Mick. I know who Brian is and where he lives in Hartle Lane. As you say, quite a character.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)