+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Poppy Appeal

O/T Poppy Appeal

Just mentioned the poppy in another thread, I'd just like to say well done to all the volunteer Poppy sellers standing out in all weathers trying to raise funds for the Royal British Legion.

I'm sure they'll be a minutes silence at the Notts County game which I trust will be well observed, if there are cadets selling poppies on the day then I'd encourage anyone to commemorate the Barnsley lads who have fallen whilst serving and spend a quid on one, wear it for our lads who didn't come back, and contribute to an organisation looking after service personnel and their dependants today.

I've read this week that Stoke player James McClean has refused to bear the poppy emblem on his shirt again, I wouldn't put up with that nonsense if I were his manager he'd be spending the next month training with the reserves,same lad I recall who turned his back on the Union Flag and national anthem a few years ago whilst playing for (West Brom ??) pre season in the USA.

Can you imagine if the likes of Brian Clough had been his manager. Disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by red flagged View Post
    Just mentioned the poppy in another thread, I'd just like to say well done to all the volunteer Poppy sellers standing out in all weathers trying to raise funds for the Royal British Legion.

I'm sure they'll be a minutes silence at the Notts County game which I trust will be well observed, if there are cadets selling poppies on the day then I'd encourage anyone to commemorate the Barnsley lads who have fallen whilst serving and spend a quid on one, wear it for our lads who didn't come back, and contribute to an organisation looking after service personnel and their dependants today.

I've read this week that Stoke player James McClean has refused to bear the poppy emblem on his shirt again, I wouldn't put up with that nonsense if I were his manager he'd be spending the next month training with the reserves,same lad I recall who turned his back on the Union Flag and national anthem a few years ago whilst playing for (West Brom ??) pre season in the USA.

You are aware James McClean was brought up in a republican area of Derry aren't you redflagged and witnessed at first hand the brutal side of the British Army .

Why on earth would he wear a poppy given his background ?

Why would he wish to ply his trade in the English Football League for that matter?

Oh yea money! two faced!

Quote Originally Posted by red flagged View Post

So RF you'd force someone to do something they have the perfect democratic right not to do
    Isn't that the very right that lives were "given" in the two world wars to not be trodden under the jackboot of oppression
    Perhaps it wasn't that much of a success after all
    I always give to the poppy appeal but I find it really sad that those dependents & war veterans, just like in the good old USA, have to rely on charities to survive, that's what's disgraceful

Option's and opinions, I will wear my poppy with pride on Rememberance Day outside the Town Hall , as i have done for years ,

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    You are aware James McClean was brought up in a republican area of Derry aren't you redflagged and witnessed at first hand the brutal side of the British Army .

Why on earth would he wear a poppy given his background ?
    So many answers to this Animal I don't know where to start.
    Yes I'm aware that he's from LONDONDerry, I'm aware that his political beliefs may be anti British Army. I'm aware that the conduct of certain elements of the British Army didnt cover themselves in glory during the troubles, but thats a two sided coin isnt it ? The poppy doesn't just represent the army though does it ?

He's obviously anti British so why do his club and the FA put up with it ? And when does it ever end with people like this in the public eye?

How would it be if English sports teams playing in France turned their back on the French flag and anthem ?
    Or if black England players turned their backs on the Stars and Stripes ?

When does it ever end and why must we pander to people like him ? To disrespect the memory of British war dead is bad enough, to turn your back on our national flag and anthem when playing for an English football club is an utter disgrace and shouldn't be tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    So RF you'd force someone to do something they have the perfect democratic right not to do
    Isn't that the very right that lives were "given" in the two world wars to not be trodden under the jackboot of oppression
    Perhaps it wasn't that much of a success after all
    I always give to the poppy appeal but I find it really sad that those dependents & war veterans, just like in the good old USA, have to rely on charities to survive, that's what's disgraceful
    Mo owd mate pepperami man where did I put I'd force him to wear anything ?

were I his manager the conversation would go like this;

So James lad, for the next month the club shirt will bear the poppy as a symbol of remembrance and respect, but I understand that you have strong political views on the subject so here's the deal, you are obliged to wear your club shirt on match day thats standard, our current match shirt bears a poppy, if you don't want to wear our current match day club shirt then you can't play on match day, so until the shirt no longer bears the poppy you can stay at home and fight for your place when the shirt no longer bears a poppy.

Up to you son, thats how it is.

Tha see ?

And that's your idea of not forcing someone? But thankfully most managers don't take your route
    I've a feeling he might take that offer though [sorry threat]
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 01-11-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    And that's your idea of not forcing someone?
    I've a feeling he might take that offer though
    not forcing him to wear the shirt, the choice remains his own.

I repeat & that's your idea of not forcing someone?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast