+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jermain Defoe ??

Jermain Defoe ??

Many fans seem to want a "fox in the box" goal scorer. Defoe is certainly that. He played for Bournemouth in the Cara Cup on Tuesday and was taken off after 70 minutes. I can't see he has much of a future there and doesn't look likely to feature in many Premiership games this season. Maybe, just maybe, he would fancy a blast at Rotherham. He's always seemed an intelligent, decent sort of guy and might pass the Warne "good guy" test. Perhaps trying to get him on loan in January might come off. Money comes into this but let's say 16 weeks at £65,000 per week (according to Daily Mail) = £1,000,000 ish. Bournemouth would surely chip in a decent percentage of this as he is getting his wages for doing next to nothing at the moment so it might be a total of about £600,000 for RUFC to pay out. Obviously this would smash the wage structure here but for 16 weeks I think the other players would accept it if it meant we didn't get relegated.
    Bournemouth reduce their wage bill.
    Rotherham get a proven goal scorer.
    Rotherham don't get relegated (though of course they still might) - which would make Defoe's wages an absolute bargain.
    Bigger crowds turn up at NYS when they see that Tony Stewart is showing some ambition.
    I've got a bad dose of flu at the moment with a sky high temperature and am being fed all sorts tablets and potion. So perhaps I am just hallucinating but it made some sort of sense when I typed this.

Think you are hallucinating unfortunately 😊
    If Defoe did become available for loan there would be a queue a mile long for his services..........and we would be right at the back of it!

If he'd have stayed in the MLS he might have been the top scorer at 36!

37 year old Ibrahimovic is scoring loads of goals and past it Rooney has been nominated for "most valuable player".

Quote Originally Posted by Lol's mate View Post
    Many fans seem to want a "fox in the box" goal scorer. Defoe is certainly that. He played for Bournemouth in the Cara Cup on Tuesday and was taken off after 70 minutes. I can't see he has much of a future there and doesn't look likely to feature in many Premiership games this season. Maybe, just maybe, he would fancy a blast at Rotherham. He's always seemed an intelligent, decent sort of guy and might pass the Warne "good guy" test. Perhaps trying to get him on loan in January might come off. Money comes into this but let's say 16 weeks at £65,000 per week (according to Daily Mail) = £1,000,000 ish. Bournemouth would surely chip in a decent percentage of this as he is getting his wages for doing next to nothing at the moment so it might be a total of about £600,000 for RUFC to pay out. Obviously this would smash the wage structure here but for 16 weeks I think the other players would accept it if it meant we didn't get relegated.
    Bournemouth reduce their wage bill.
    Rotherham get a proven goal scorer.
    Rotherham don't get relegated (though of course they still might) - which would make Defoe's wages an absolute bargain.
    Bigger crowds turn up at NYS when they see that Tony Stewart is showing some ambition.
    I've got a bad dose of flu at the moment with a sky high temperature and am being fed all sorts tablets and potion. So perhaps I am just hallucinating but it made some sort of sense when I typed this.
    Lol ,it made no sense at all,LMFAO.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    If Defoe did become available for loan there would be a queue a mile long for his services..........and we would be right at the back of it!
    True. It's a nice thought but I hope it's not given ideas to Reading, Hull or Ipswich who would all be light years ahead of us in the pecking order. However, as someone once said "He who dares wins!"

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    True. It's a nice thought but I hope it's not given ideas to Reading, Hull or Ipswich who would all be light years ahead of us in the pecking order. However, as someone once said "He who dares wins!"
    I believe the statement was originally made (in Greek of course) by Icarus shortly before he plunged into the sea and drowned. My great uncle Tobias sensibly maintained that "Taking risks is risky" and I have built a successful life and career on that wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by dmentor View Post
    Lol ,it made no sense at all,LMFAO.
    Thanks for that. At least I've found out what LMFAO means.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Hamshaw played England schoolboys with Defoe if I remember correctly

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecarling View Post
    Hamshaw played England schoolboys with Defoe if I remember correctly
    Not quite sure what point you're making.
    Has Hamshaw got a bagful of money or something? 😊

I've admired Defoe's eye for goal for years, and would love to see him play for us. Unfortunately his wages are a ****y bit more than Tony would be willing to pay! But If we had a load of money, I agree, he would be a good fit for us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast