+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A new low in football officiating...

A new low in football officiating...

According to reports on Sky Soccer Saturday Leicester City's Demarai Gray scores at Cardiff, prompting him to take off his shirt amidst entirely understandable, highly emotional scenes.

Referee Lee Probert books him.

I don't care what the rule book says. If officials on the pitch, and off it, do not have the intelligence or courage to apply common sense in that situation, they don't deserve to be in charge of this game called football. It's OUR game, not theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    According to reports on Sky Soccer Saturday Leicester City's Demarai Gray scores at Cardiff, prompting him to take off his shirt amidst entirely understandable, highly emotional scenes.

I don't care what the rule book says. If officials on the pitch, and off it, do not have the intelligence or courage to apply common sense in that situation, they don't deserve to be in charge of this game called football. It's OUR game, not theirs.
    Tend to agree, however it is a bookable offence, the ref may even have said to them before the game that he would have to book them if it happened, but can’t really argue with your sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Tend to agree, however it is a bookable offence, the ref may even have said to them before the game that he would have to book them if it happened, but can’t really argue with your sentiment.
    If the referee spoke to them beforehand, that makes it even worse, because it would mean he anticipated what might happen in such circumstances and still came up with the wrong answer. He would have been better off spending his time asking the Premier league to grant him official permission to make an exception, and if the idiots hadn't granted it, he should have ignored them and taken the mark down anyway.

How does it make it worse? If you tell a child not to run out in the street and he does and gets knocked over, does that mean it's your fault because you should not have told him? Can't see why Gray can complain, he knows the rules, he's seen it happens to many, many others and what happens when you take your shirt off. Does a bowler do it if he gets a hat-trick? Do rugby players do it when they score a try? What about a darts player scoring a 180? No, none of them do, they all know it's stupid, infantile and shows a "Look - look at me! Look at my shirt! I can wave it around! Wheeee!!!"

Totally disagree, that’s the rule. Gray was obviously happy to take a yellow card and that’s his choice. The ref is paid to officiate the game according to the rules, and that’s what he did.
    So if Gray had already been on a yellow are you saying he shouldn’t have given him a second yellow? Also if Gray wasn’t on a yellow after being allowed to break the rules, and then picks up a yellow later in the game for a foul, that’s hardly fair on Cardiff.
    Personally I hate the rule, but it is the rule!

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    Totally disagree, that’s the rule. Gray was obviously happy to take a yellow card and that’s his choice. The ref is paid to officiate the game according to the rules, and that’s what he did.
    So if Gray had already been on a yellow are you saying he shouldn’t have given him a second yellow? Also if Gray wasn’t on a yellow after being allowed to break the rules, and then picks up a yellow later in the game for a foul, that’s hardly fair on Cardiff.

Hate what happened to Leicester, ref was spot on though.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Hate what happened to Leicester, ref was spot on though.
    Indeed. As Joe & KTD have indicated, no matter what the circumstances and/or emotions involved - why does celebrating a goal involve taking your shirt off? I can't think why anyone would believe that removing articles of clothing is a reasonable response to scoring or to the intensity & trauma of the past week tbh.

I think you've been watching too much Central News this week.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    I'll concede (to a degree) that the problem is ultimately with the rule rather than the particular referee, but it illustrates the ineptness of the footballing authorities that they regulate to a degree where an understanding of the circumstances and emotions of the game cannot be applied. I don't know if such over-regulation is a response of the lack of common sense and ability of referees to make correct judgements in the heat of the action, or whether it is making otherwise capable officials look like idiots, but either way I can never recall a time when the overall standard of officiating has been worse.

And let's not kid ourselves, anyone who has seen a fair few football matches will know that there are certain referees whose body language betrays that they absolutely love the position of power it gives them, and enjoy being centre of attention, despite the fact that their judgement and performance often is not worthy of respect.
    Last edited by jackal2; 03-11-2018 at 05:33 PM.

I concede (maybe) that the problem is ultimately with the rule rather than the particular referee, but it illustrates the ineptness of the footballing authorities that they regulate to a degree where an understanding of the circumstances and emotions of the game cannot be applied. And let's not kid ourselves, anyone who has seen a fair few football matches will know that there are certain referees whose body language betrays that they absolutely love the position of power it gives them, and enjoy being centre of attention, despite the fact that their judgement and performance often is not worthy of respect.
    He was right though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast