+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swansea City Post Match Thoughts

What an amazing feeling, great day at the NYS although I have to admit it was looking extremely depressing for so much of the game.

It's all cliches, said many many times, but it doesn't matter how well your team plays if they don't put the ball in the onion bag then it counts for sod all. It applies just as much today as it did when we felt like we should have hammered Bolton.

Swansea were a great team to watch and played some champagne stuff, that little sod Daniel James was a real threat every time he touched the ball. But for all their top quality play, they could only score one goal. Rodak was excellent and definitely got us out of jail more than once, but lets give credit where it's due, the rest of the defence battled to the very last kick. Especially when the game went in our favour.

Did we deserve the win? Yes, we scored more than them.
    Did we deserve the penalties? A pen is a pen, we still have to score them.
    Were we lucky? Possibly lucky that it was only 1-0 at 75 minutes, but we never gave up despite being outclassed and for that alone we deserve some credit. When Proctor came on we certainly looked rejuvenated and even before the first pen we were starting to push forward and their keeper saved superbly from the free kick.
    Did Swansea throw it away? Yes, they were arrogant. Their players were arrogant. James took great pleasure in goading the Millers fans when he set up their goal, as did Naughton when he won a free kick that was never deserved. They went into cruise control and expected us to fold. We didn't, we battled on and for once got a couple of key decisions go our way.

We've certainly played our "get out of jail" card today and I doubt we'll see another game like that this season, if ever! So I hope that the final scoreline doesn't gloss over some of the flaws and, as suggested by IBS further up the thread, I hope Warne still lets them "have it."

Maybe other teams, and their fans, will learn to stop underestimating thelittle old Millers.

UTM.

Like Edinburghmiller, I was glad I chose to make my UK visit while this game was on the agenda. That, of course, was not the case halfway through the second half when my only hope was that we didn't concede as many as the hapless Wednesday side were destined to lose by.

I don't think we strung two passes together in the first thirty minutes and Swansea seemed to have the ball on a rubber band at their feet as they knocked it effortlessly to each other all across the pitch. Vyner was having a torrid time - and will continue to do so while ever he is unable to glance around him to see where the opposition winger is going - but then nobody, other than Rodak, was covering themselves with glory. I lost count of the number of Hail-Mary balls that we lumped forward more in hope than anticipation. Smith kept trying but was made to look leaden footed by the spritely Swansea defence. Towell seems to have lost his mojo and, while Vaulks still has his, he's seems a bit unsure what to do with it. Generally the defence were competent and kept shape but Vyner just wasn't up to the task of taming James. Respect to Swansea; they did their homework on us by working the wings effectively and never letting us settle on the ball. They did not take us for granted and instead nullified us and made us look inept. I almost felt sorry for them having to go home empty-handed after a performance like that. (I said almost...)

Great to come out of NYS with a stolen three points and join the throng of fellow fans walking past G and C shaking their heads in disbelief at our good fortune. I will tell everybody that my presence brought us the luck we needed on the day - but I know, like everybody else, this was simply a balancing of the books against the accumulation of games where the fates seemed to be against us. Normally we don't get to use up that much credit in just one match.
    Last edited by CTMilller; 03-11-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Feel a bit better after seeing highlights because both are stonewall pens on seeing em again. First, goalie pulled Procs back by the neck second the defender definitely put his hands up.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...am-2-1-swansea

Have a look for ya sens...

2 great pens by Manning by the way because goalie went right way twice but power beat him both times.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 03-11-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Best side I've seen Swansea if the buy a goal scorer I will back them to go up.

Never a penalty the second one,not for me anywa, I would have been mad if it was given against us.

FFS give the lads some credit, 2 seasons ago we would have done a SWFC rolled over 0-4 thank you very much. U.T.F.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Never a penalty the second one,not for me anywa, I would have been mad if it was given against us.
    Yeah the second one, if the ball had been coming towards me at speed and was about to hit me in the face I would have put both hands up as well.
    The shot from Vaulks was headed for Row Z on the Tivoli End at Millmoor so credit to him for shooting at the defenders face.

Hope we haven't used all our ' get out of jail ' cards.......
    We need some at Blackburn away

Onwards and Upwards......U.T.M.

Well they say it evens itself out. Today it did. We didn’t deserve to lose at Forest. We did. We deserved more than a point v Bolton but didn’t.Maybe we didn’t deserve to win today (or maybe even get a point) but we got all 3.

The morale is. You don’t always get what you deserve. If you don’t take your chances you get punished. That’s a bit familiar eh? The way we have been playing this season did we deserve to be second bottom of the live table with 15 mins left? Well we were! Had we not won we would have been second bottom tonight but we are not. All the pundits would have been commenting on gritty Millers but clearly not good enough. Stereotypical rubbish.
    We know we are going to get out footballed at times but we are here and we here on merit.

This team is not a bottom three team. We play with a togetherness and great spirit.

This is a brilliant league so get behind these lads and our wonderful Management team.

Up the Millers and what a win against a formerly established Premiership team.

good finish for Swansea goal.

be fair I think both penalties are strange.

second one letter of rule handball is handball but couldn't see anything for the first one

rodak did 2 good saves the one on one and the shot from the penalty spot when he was going from his post to the centre spot. (training routine)

going off the highlights on sky

It's 9-00 pm on the day of the game, and I'm still shellshocked. I've not seen a better team than Swansea for many a year, and in my opinion it is only their arrogance that cost them.
    First half I can't remember any team dominating us like they did, for a long time.Even after half time nothing seemed to change, but as I was sat down near the away end, it seemed that they effortlessly got into a position to cross the ball, but then decided to play it backwards to whoever was supporting them, Mcburnie must have been so frustrated as he was always running into good positions for a cross that never came.
    I noticed that at around 55/60 minute mark their passing seemed to slow down,and we slowly started to get a little bit into it. Unfortunately our passing and ball control was dreadful, but we certainly never stopped running, and at the back I thought Ajayi (again) and Robertson were immense.
    Young Vyner has had a bit of stick on 9here, but I thought he stuck to his task, despite being isolated ,especially first half, against their best player, and mattock also had a great game for me.
    I couldn't see us scoring if I'm honest, but I've seen both penalties on sky, and both look certs to me, but again in my opinion, Swansea only have themselves to blame.
    I posted on another thread how if Swansea got their passing game together we could end up chasing shadows, but football is all about goals and we scored 2 and they scored one, I'd be gutted if I were them, but they will play a lot worse than this and win before season ends.
    It's nice to be a miller tonight, but not all of this was down to luck, only once did they open us up for a 1v1 and that was a long ball over the top in first half which Rodak saved, other than that our hard worked defence and midfield worked their socks off against a team that earlier this year was slumming it with the likes of Man City, Man Utd ,Liverpool, Chelsea etc......on to the next game UTM
    Last edited by Ronners; 03-11-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast