+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poppy Talk

Poppy Talk

So McClean and Matic chose not to wear the poppy. That is their right. It is called freedom of choice and some of the abuse that is being hurled at them is bang out of order. I wear my poppy with pride. It is my choice not an obligation.

I totally agree with you Outwood, its choice.

When I was on the bus' we are always asked by Centercom on the radio to park the bus up safely, turn the engine off and observe the minutes silence, nearly every bus would be parked up with passengers on, I would still be running and picking up passengers regardless, as I don't need anyone to tell me how to remember our great war dead, especially from men in suits.

I shall be wearing my red poppy with pride and I shall be wearing a purple poppy badge as well to remember all the animals who were victims and gave their lives in service after being forced into battle situations by our government...
    Last edited by alfinyalcabo; 03-11-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    I shall be wearing my red poppy with pride and I shall be wearing a purple poppy badge as well to remember all the animals who were victims and gave their lives in service after being forced into battle situations by our government...
    I had not heard of the purple poppy before Alf but I would also wear one. I will have to see whether and where they are available in my locality.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    I had not heard of the purple poppy before Alf but I would also wear one. I will have to see whether and where they are available in my locality.
    Try the local veterinary Outwood ..

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  18.7 KB

White Poppy.....anyone ?

So McClean and Matic chose not to wear the poppy. That is their right. It is called freedom of choice and some of the abuse that is being hurled at them is bang out of order. I wear my poppy with pride. It is my choice not an obligation.
    I'm all for freedom within the law, if people choose not to wear a poppy they're perfectly entitled not to do so. Also if someone wants to hurl abuse at someone for not wearing a poppy, providing that abuse falls within the law, then they're perfectly entitled to do so. We are either free under the law or we're not, we can't pick and choose our freedoms to suit our personal beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I'm all for freedom within the law, if people choose not to wear a poppy they're perfectly entitled not to do so. Also if someone wants to hurl abuse at someone for not wearing a poppy, providing that abuse falls within the law, then they're perfectly entitled to do so. We are either free under the law or we're not, we can't pick and choose our freedoms to suit our personal beliefs.
    I did say some of the abuse was simply not acceptable. Trawling through the comments such as “break the f*ckin c*nts legs” are not in my view acceptable.

I did say some of the abuse was simply not acceptable. Trawling through the comments such as “break the f*ckin c*nts legs” are not in my view acceptable.
    To some people, the lack of respect shown towards those who died in wars, and towards the millions who do buy and wear a poppy, by those who choose not to, is not acceptable either. Nevertheless, if not wearing a poppy is within the law, and the abuse of non poppy wearers remains within the law, then both are acceptable imo. Anyway players like Roy Keane, and a few others, didn't need any encouragement from over-excited fans to attempt to break players legs. As far as I'm aware, no fan has yet broken a player's leg, despite the abuse they hurl from the terraces and stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

White Poppy.....anyone ?
    Could I offer my humble suggestion, instead of a white poppy, why not a piece of stiff rubber, in the shape of the male reproductive organ, about six inches long, strapped to the forehead ?

I should make it clear that I don't attach any great significance to the six inches, it could be longer or shorter, according to the wishes of the individual.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)