+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: James Turley

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Ian Richardson, Paul Harding, Luke Rodgers, Alan Judge, Ricky Ravenhill etc. Notts County fans have always had time for players who visibly give their all week in, week out.
    Agreed. Turley could be a candidate for player of the season if he can maintain this level of commitment to the cause. A real find in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBoots View Post
    Please do as I am not understanding your point.
    I think you both have your wires crossed....Magic mate, Navy is saying Turley had a TERRIFIC game today......read the first post again....then post 5?.....Navy is saying (I think,) despite the own goal, and the dodgy peno....he saved us today.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Spot on, I will always prefer a hard-working. but limited player, to a lazy superstar.
    Me too. At our level we can't expect a team of quality players, but we can expect a team of players who give 100%.

Turley fits the bill on that one.

Always said for this Div,you need a team of no nonsense central defenders,grafters in midfield &, pace up front. Warnock got it spot on,when he came from Scarborough.

I think you both have your wires crossed....Magic mate, Navy is saying Turley had a TERRIFIC game today......read the first post again....then post 5?.....Navy is saying (I think,) despite the own goal, and the dodgy peno....he saved us today.
    Thought it was obvious but perhaps I shall draw pictures in the future. Thanks Tarks.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I've just seen the first Port Vale goal and Matt Tootle's defending is a perfect illustration of the poor full-back play which is causing many of our problems. He starts off too far away from the winger and instead of closing him down he backs off further, giving the attacker even room to curl the ball around either side of him. Sometimes our full-backs leave so much space that wingers could probably even flip the ball up and lob it over the full-back's head if they wanted! They might as well not be there at all.

Get tight to the winger for Christ's sake! I'm not saying dive in and commit yourself, but get in the attacker's face and give him no space to operate in, and meanwhile our attacking wide player should be dropping back to double cover wherever possible. I've noticed that Hemmings really has made an effort to do this in the games I've seen, which combined with his goal threat is probably why Kewell likes him in the wide position, but Boldewijn needs to do the same on the other side.
    Spot on. I have no idea why this continues to happen week in week out. If a full back can't or won't stop crosses, what good are they? Most of the time it doesn't even look like they are trying to stop the ball going in the box, but instead just run alongside the winger about two feet away. ****ing clatter him!

A player who gives his all and is totally committed. In fact most of them do. They just need proper managing.

Ok, I read it as sarcasm. Apologies - thanks for correcting that.

Anyway, on another point, can anyone explain why Toots got a yellow card. Certainly wasn't time wasting, possibly encroachment (which will all know he tries to get away with every game). If it was, can anyone explain why the ref was not consistent and did not book their players for doing the same in the second half. They clearly were doing it as the ref made them take the thrown from the correct place. So, if they were guilty as acknowledged by the ref, why didn't he issue the same penalty ? Was Tootle guilty of another offence, dissent perhaps ?

I am in no way blaming the ref for result, just trying to understand the inconsistency.

Anyway, on another point, can anyone explain why Toots got a yellow card. Certainly wasn't time wasting, possibly encroachment (which will all know he tries to get away with every game). If it was, can anyone explain why the ref was not consistent and did not book their players for doing the same in the second half. They clearly were doing it as the ref made them take the thrown from the correct place. So, if they were guilty as acknowledged by the ref, why didn't he issue the same penalty ? Was Tootle guilty of another offence, dissent perhaps ?

I am in no way blaming the ref for result, just trying to understand the inconsistency.
    How can we answer that question?

My initial thought on the booking was time-wasting, but Charlie and Stall said the ref had stopped the game for a Notts player to put a boot back on (it's the ref's discretion to stop the game or not, or else everyone would be deliberately "losing" their footwear to stop play)

Was the boot back on, and Notts ready to play on? then the ref thought that Toots was time-wasting, he seemed to have hold of the ball for ages.......not sure, you really need to see both players and the ref in the same camera shot to really figure it out.
    One of life's mysteries I'm afraid, like is Bigfoot really the Abdominal Snowman without his winter gear on?
    Last edited by tarquinbeech; 04-11-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast