+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy to mind the gap

Happy to mind the gap

Just 2 points separate us. But I gather we still have tough games to Stoke and Villa. Still unsure if we can get a playoff place but I think top 10 is achievable. Where do you see Derby finishing after this food run?

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Just 2 points separate us. But I gather we still have tough games to Stoke and Villa. Still unsure if we can get a playoff place but I think top 10 is achievable. Where do you see Derby finishing after this food run?
    With this crazy league?

1. Champions
    2. Runners up
    4. Playoff Winners
    4. Above Forest

Sorry but I don't share your magnanimous attitude towards rivals

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    With this crazy league?

1. Champions
    2. Runners up
    4. Playoff Winners
    4. Above Forest

Sorry but I don't share your magnanimous attitude towards rivals
    Autos? I really doubt Derby can reach it. Play-offs more likely. Finishing higher than us, should be quite achievable. You're on a mini run like Norwich (4-0-0 if I'm not wrong). The up coming international break couldn't have come at a wrong time..
    WBA are having a blip, together with Boro and Leeds (to an extent). They all need this break.
    From then on, it's all clear until Feb?March with only the odd Cup game in between.
    So the 'season proper' for want of a better phrase, should start after this break. Maintain this streak going into the 'derby' next month, you should feel very confident with January additions too.

No additions in January please, this is when it all seems to go wrong for us, alright as we are

I am now of the opinion that we will be top 2. Why such confidence? New squad. New virgin Manager. Lots of young uns. Lots of experienced players. A good balance. We have slowly improved after an unconvincing start. The players have bought into what the staff expect and they form a proper team, whether they be starting, on the bench or in the stands.

Looking at recent games, Sheff U were top and we nicked a first half lead and then gave them a lesson in the 2nd half. WBA were top going into the round of games and we blew them away from the off. Boro were equal top and we hammered them first half and they were lucky to nick an equaliser in a move started by a mistake by the officials. Chelsea twice went in front through own goals yet we came back to 2-2. We are the only team to score 2 there from open play this season. Their winner came in a move started by a mistake by the officials. Brum were the form team, 4 wins on the bounce and unbeaten in 11. More shots, more shots on target, more possession and they stayed in front because Camp had a very good first half.

Don't forget OT either. 1 down early doors but we had the wherewithall to fight back and knock them out. This squad of ours doesn't only have the skill and the will, they also have a huge amount of bouncebackability that sees them not worry if they go behind.

Second half was like the first and we carved them open. Something that hadn't happened to them in 11 games and something we have serially failed to do for years against a well organised defence.

This squad will get better. SBC teams, take note.
    Last edited by MadAmster; 04-11-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I am now of the opinion that we will be top 2. Why such confidence? New squad. New virgin Manager.
    Lots of young uns. Lots of experienced players. A good balance. We have slowly improved after an unconvincing start. The players have bought into what the staff expect and they form a proper team, whether they be starting, on the bench or in the stands.

Looking at recent games, Sheff U were top and we nicked a first half lead and then gave them a lesson in the 2nd half. WBA were top going into the round of games and we blew them away from the off. Boro were equal top and we hammered them first half and they were lucky to nick an equaliser in a move started by a mistake by the officials. Chelsea twice went in front through own goals yet we came back to 2-2. We are the only team to score 2 there from open play this season. Their winner came in a move started by a mistake by the officials. Brum were the form team, 4 wins on the bounce and unbeaten in 11. More shots, more shots on target, more possession and they stayed in front because Camp had a very good first half.

Don't forget OT either. 1 down early doors but we had the wherewithall to fight back and knock them out. This squad of ours doesn't only have the skill and the will, they also have a huge amount of bouncebackability that sees them not worry if they go behind.

Second half was like the first and we carved them open. Something that hadn't happened to them in 11 games and something we have serially failed to do for years against a well organised defence.

This squad will get better. SBC teams, take note.
    MA agree with most of that but not about the first half yesterday Thought we were poor probably as bad as we've been for weeks Holmes a big plus yesterday they couldn't handle him running at them Be interesting when Mount is fit Couldn't agree with Davies getting in ahead of Tomori obviously Davies is a great defender but he didn't look fit yesterday I wouldn't start him against Villa think Abraham's would be to much of a handful for him
    Last edited by mistaram; 04-11-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    MA agree with most of that but not about the first half yesterday Thought we were poor probably as bad as we've been for weeks Holmes a big plus yesterday they couldn't handle him running at them Be interesting when Mount is fit Couldn't agree with Davies getting in ahead of Tomori obviously Davies is a great defender but he didn't look fit yesterday I wouldn't start him against Villa think Abraham's would be to much of a handful for him
    I have a feeling Curtis was played with that Villa game in mind. Of the 3 CB's he is best equipped to keep an in form forward quiet and IMO yesterday was used for some match fitness.

Looking at last season I don't recall many of the 'named' forwards giving Davies the run around. He can control and play the forward out of the game. Tomori looks a player but strikes me as more of a zonal defender than a specific man marker. Great covering pace.

Keogh is Keogh, always going to get 100%. My slight niggle is that for every man of the match he gets he has a potential slip up in his locker.

If he's deemed fit then for me Davies starts. Almost an argument for a back three?

Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam View Post
    I have a feeling Curtis was played with that Villa game in mind. Of the 3 CB's he is best equipped to keep an in
    form forward quiet and IMO yesterday was used for some match fitness.

Looking at last season I don't recall many of the 'named' forwards giving Davies the run around. He can control and play the forward out of the game. Tomori looks a player but strikes me as more of a zonal defender than a specific man marker. Great covering pace.

Keogh is Keogh, always going to get 100%. My slight niggle is that for every man of the match he gets he has a potential slip up in his locker.

If he's deemed fit then for me Davies starts. Almost an argument for a back three?
    Manx not questioning Davies his record for us is impeccable I'm questioning his fitness so obvious yesterday He's had one U23 game since pre season We were lucky and got away with it yesterday because Adams was going past so easily Afraid Abraham's could exploit his lack of pace and he didn't play against him last because he was in the Prem with Swansea Three at the back would be a massive gamble at this time of the season

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Manx not questioning Davies his record for us is impeccable I'm questioning his fitness so obvious yesterday He's had one U23 game since pre season We were lucky and got away with it yesterday because Adams was going past so easily Afraid Abraham's could exploit his lack of pace and he didn't play against him last because he was in the Prem with Swansea Three at the back would be a massive gamble at this time of the season
    Don't disagree with you either Mista, just trying to assess which 2 from 3 I would prefer to start!

Frank not calling much wrong at the minute so will put faith in his better judgement.

Villa ought to be worrying about how to stop the juggernaut that is our front five .

Quote Originally Posted by ManxRam View Post
    Don't disagree with you either Mista, just trying to assess which 2 from 3 I would prefer to start!

Frank not calling much wrong at the minute so will put faith in his better judgement.

Villa ought to be worrying about how to stop the juggernaut that is our front five .
    Manx I'm just concerned about pace up front for Villa Abraham's Bollassie Adoma and Kodja some serious pace and skill there 😃

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)