+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Birmingham Report

Birmingham Report

Another sort-of-convincing win on the march towards the top.

Surprise of the day 1: No Tomori. Apart from the Leeds match where I thought he was poor, and trying to kick the ball with his standing foot at Chelsea, I think he's done a great job and was actually disappointed to see Davies starting. Tomori will go far, regretably not likely with us

Surprise of the day 2: Duane Holmes. I didn't get to my seat til 2:59:59 so didn't hear the team announced, and as the two guys either side of me didn't know who number 23 was either I decided to just marvel at the newbies skill and direct nature. Only when subbed and given MoM did I find out, and I'd like to see a lot more of that fellah

Key Moment: Waghorn's injury. I'd take Bennett over Waghorn at the mo and so, unfortunately for Wag, I got my way. Bennett seems to want to squeeze the most out of the talent he has, one of which is actually defending, he again covered critically for Bogle a few times

My Man Of The Match: Tom Huddlestone. When all around are losing their heads...

Back To The Seventies moment: Ruckus after the game which seemed to involve one suspected Birmingham fan and fifty Derby 'heros', and took place on the bonnet of my pals brand new car. Tut tut.

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

Surprise of the day 1: No Tomori. Apart from the Leeds match where I thought he was poor, and trying to kick the ball with his standing foot at Chelsea, I think he's done a great job and was actually disappointed to see Davies starting. Tomori will go far, regretably not likely with us

Surprise of the day 2: Duane Holmes. I didn't get to my seat til 2:59:59 so didn't hear the team announced, and as the two guys either side of me didn't know who number 23 was either I decided to just marvel at the newbies skill and direct nature. Only when subbed and given MoM did I find out, and I'd like to see a lot more of that fellah

Key Moment: Waghorn's injury. I'd take Bennett over Waghorn at the mo and so, unfortunately for Wag, I got my way. Bennett seems to want to squeeze the most out of the talent he has, one of which is actually defending, he again covered critically for Bogle a few times

Back To The Seventies moment: Ruckus after the game which seemed to involve one suspected Birmingham fan and fifty Derby 'heros', and took place on the bonnet of my pals brand new car. Tut tut.

Anyone?
    May not have been utterly ‘convincing’ but it was a big, big win yesterday, imo, Andy.
    No more ‘after the Lord Mayor’s show’, no more caving in when things go against us, no more ‘key player injured so forget it’ and Birmingham are, or were, the form side in the Championship as well as a bit of a Pride Park bogey team. COYR!
    Last edited by ramAnag; 04-11-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    May not have been utterly ‘convincing’ but it was a big, big win yesterday, imo, Andy.
    No more ‘after the Lord Mayor’s show’, no more caving in when things go against us, no more ‘key player injured so forget it’ and Birmingham are, or were, the form side in the Championship as well as a bit of a Pride Park bogey team. COYR!
    Agreed, yes all those things too. And I forgot, big tick in the box for Forsyth who assisted two of the goals with excellent delivery. I just keep thinking of positives

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

RA I'm with you on this one when I saw the line up I thought what's Frank doing We started with just one recognised midfielder in Huddleston and three wingers Lawrence Holmes and Wilson with Waghorn wide right didn't look good to me but it worked most of the time even without a recognised ball winner in midfield I'm with Andy on the Tomori issue he's been one of our best players imo The squad starting to look a bit thin now with Waghorn Bryson and Mount injured

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    RA I'm with you on this one when I saw the line up I thought what's Frank doing We started with just one recognised midfielder in Huddleston and three wingers Lawrence Holmes and Wilson with Waghorn wide right didn't look good to me but it worked most of the time even without a recognised ball winner in midfield I'm with Andy on the Tomori issue he's been one of our best players imo The squad starting to look a bit thin now with Waghorn Bryson and Mount injured
    But thank **** for Huddlestone, he seems to have that knack (which MacKay and then MgGrath had) of the ball finding him - so often he just seems to be in the right place at the right time. I know that's not a studs-up enforcer or a dynamo like Bryson but its still a skill its sometimes a joy to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

Anyone?
    Best wishes on your march to the top ......in November.....

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Waghorn will be ably replaced by Bennett who was brilliant against Brum.

I expect Mount to be back against Villa.

Bryson? No idea how far away he is from fitness but Wilson has been more than just good in that role and, to my surprise, Bryson, who has been one of our better players this season, hasn't been missed. That speaks volumes for the quality and depth of this squad.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Waghorn will be ably replaced by Bennett who was brilliant against Brum.

I expect Mount to be back against Villa.

Bryson? No idea how far away he is from fitness but Wilson has been more than just good in that role and, to my surprise, Bryson, who has been one of our better players this season, hasn't been missed. That speaks volumes for the quality and depth of this squad.
    I think that’s the difference this season MA. Someone gets injured...Bryson, Mount or Waghorn...and someone else steps up...Wilson, Holmes and Bennett. Can’t remember us being in that position for years. There just seems to be a much better squad ethic this season, not to mention better players to choose from.
    Players like Wisdom and Johnson who would walk into most Championship squads are still waiting in the wings and the only disappointment amongst the summer signings seems to be FloJo who will hopefully still have a chance to shine at some point.
    Huge credit for this has to go to Lampard who appears to have shown more awareness of our strengths and weaknesses in just a few months than previous managers have in whole seasons.

In Frank we trust! Thank you Harry!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)