+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our full backs so frustrating

Our full backs so frustrating

Noticed that this season our Full backs are failing to stop the crosses, Tottle is the main problem, all he does match after match is back off same again at Port Vale, why does he keep giving the attacker so much room. Surely Kewell must change this. It's frustrating to me why this problem has not been sorted yet.

Quote Originally Posted by eastwoodmagpie View Post
    Noticed that this season our Full backs are failing to stop the crosses, Tottle is the main problem, all he does match after match is back off same again at Port Vale, why does he keep giving the attacker so much room. Surely Kewell must change this. It's frustrating to me why this problem has not been sorted yet.
    It could be that Kewell cannot see this, thats why it keeps happening...

Quote Originally Posted by eastwoodmagpie View Post
    This same thing has been mentioned on several of the threads, and it begs the question "if we can all see it, how come HK and the players cannot see it....and what are they going to do about it?"

The strange thing is, it's gotten so common now, that I automatically assume there is going to be a cross coming in and I look into the box praying there's not too many oppo attackers!

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    ....beat me to it

I wouldn't just single out Kewell, to be fair. I find myself going back to Sam Allardyce to find the last Notts manager who genuinely expected his full-backs to defend properly. Even in the Premier League these days you see wide defenders who can't be bothered to do the most fundamental part of their job. Our current full-backs are particularly weak though, as the goals against demonstrates.

We've also conceded several goals from balls into the box from a more central area, such as Port vale's equaliser, so our defensive midfielders also need to be closing down more.

Should a manger have to tell a FB to close his winger down and not let crosses in?

May as well tell the FB to put his socks, shirt, shorts on boots on too.

Both of them are tidy on the ball and above average 'footballers' for this level.
    But neither seem to offer enough attacking support or good distribution to compensate for being pretty weak defenders. They're not promotion level players, so hopefully HK is ready to look elsewhere as soon as he's able to.

Jones is still in my bad books. Sure, Nolan deserves a lot of blame for our start, but ultimately it's a player's responsibility to develop, himself, or to at least stop your level from crashing through the floor. Two seasons running, Jones has started the season disastrously, there's something up with that. On the right, like everyone else, I've given up on Hewitt at RB. 6 ft 3'' guys don't do well there anyway. Oxlade deserves a another shot, Milsom's OK as LB cover, but the full back answers for HK are probably not at the club atm

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    Should a manger have to tell a FB to close his winger down and not let crosses in?

May as well tell the FB to put his socks, shirt, shorts on boots on too.
    Did anyone see the story about 3 weeks ago, about 2 players in a league game that ran out with the wrong shirts on?

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Both of them are tidy on the ball and above average 'footballers' for this level.
    But neither seem to offer enough attacking support or good distribution to compensate for being pretty weak defenders. They're not promotion level players, so hopefully HK is ready to look elsewhere as soon as he's able to.

Jones is still in my bad books. Sure, Nolan deserves a lot of blame for our start, but ultimately it's a player's responsibility to develop, himself, or to at least stop your level from crashing through the floor. Two seasons running, Jones has started the season disastrously, there's something up with that. On the right, like everyone else, I've given up on Hewitt at RB. 6 ft 3'' guys don't do well there anyway. Oxlade deserves a another shot, Milsom's OK as LB cover, but the full back answers for HK are probably not at the club atm
    Is there any young lads doing well that could be given a go at FB?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I wouldn't just single out Kewell, to be fair. I find myself going back to Sam Allardyce to find the last Notts manager who genuinely expected his full-backs to defend properly. Even in the Premier League these days you see wide defenders who can't be bothered to do the most fundamental part of their job. Our current full-backs are particularly weak though, as the goals against demonstrates.

We've also conceded several goals from balls into the box from a more central area, such as Port vale's equaliser, so our defensive midfielders also need to be closing down more.
    Ah yes the token and obligatory sticking out of the leg a split second after the attacker has crossed the ball. It looks lazy and has an air of cant be bothered about it.

If you are not going to commit to a challenge at least remain goalside and get tight on the man, pressure him and get him to pass the ball back or something, but for goodness sake don’t give him the time and space to pick where he’s putting the ball in the box and then deliver that cross.

So frustrating.