+ Visit Doncaster Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: We’re are we going wrong

We’re are we going wrong

It’s only a few weeks back that we were looking at a top spot .Have been to most of the games this season and Saturdays Match was the first one that I think we diseverd to loose let’s hope we get back to winning ways soon

e = mc2

But we don't need to be geniuses to know that in spite of frequent statements made by manager and players alike that confidence remains high...,
    ... a run of victories = high in confidence, breeding further victories
    ... a run of defeats = low in confidence, breeding further defeats

To get out of the present habit of losing, it would seem we first have to tighten up at the back as we're going behind early on far too often and far too easily (often after threatening to open the score, if I'm to believe match reports); the longer this goes on, the more it will affect confidence. Up front, it would be nice to have another goalscorer to take some of the pressure off Marquis who seems to have started a lean period. I fear that nobody else in the side can be counted on to score on a regular basis...

McCann has concentrated on building a good first eleven. Supported by a few other good players on the bench. The trouble now is that all our yellow cards are catching up with us and suspensions are affecting the first eleven. That was inevitable. The club could even be fined if we keep getting yellows and that money would be better spent on players.

As you say "a run of defeats = low in confidence", and I suspect confidence is now a major negative influence. Fortunately, we have a few cup games against inferior teams which we will probably win, and McCann will make a big deal of those wins to try to regain confidence before further league games. He will probably play our strongest team in those games to get some wins under his belt, but in a way it is all fake.

Suspensions and potential injuries could totally derail our chance of even getting above a mid-table position. Luck only goes so far.

Certainly, we need another striker up with Marquis if we want to regain ground and get back near the top. But we could be in for a rough ride up to the New Year.

We have gone from the cleanest team in the league to the dirtiest. I am all for being more aggressive and competitive but there needs to be some moderation. Joe Wright is now out for several weeks and we are now 10th in the table as Blackpool has overtaken us with a game in hand. Things just get tougher as optimism for a top 6 slot starts to wane.