+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Gods Own Country

O/T Gods Own Country

Sat in the Three Lions after work, the local British Pub, and awaiting a very late Mrs CA as I do every Friday, I ended up doing my best Billy no mates impression. At the next table were 3 older couples (must have been old because they were older than me) and they were chatting with the waitress as she took their order. They announced that they were all originally from England and when she inquired as to where one bloke piped up "Gods Own Country". I wonder where I thought to myself, until he proudly announced, Manchester!

Should I have outed him or glassed him? Instead I just sipped quietly on my pint and listened to my stomach grumbling while they all tucked in to Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas and I waited patiently for Mrs CA.........
    Last edited by CAMiller; 05-11-2018 at 01:51 AM.

There are a few superfluous letters in the third word. Apart from that, I wouldn't disagree with the old feller.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Sat in the Three Lions after work, the local British Pub, and awaiting a very late Mrs CA as I do every Friday, I ended up doing my best Billy no mates impression. At the next table were 3 older couples (must have been old because they were older than me) and they were chatting with the waitress as she took their order. They announced that they were all originally from England and when she inquired as to where one bloke piped up "Gods Own Country". I wonder where I thought to myself, until he proudly announced, Manchester!

Should I have outed him or glassed him? Instead I just sipped quietly on my pint and listened to my stomach grumbling while they all tucked in to Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas and I waited patiently for Mrs CA.........

'Should I have outed him or glassed him?' ''Glassed him'' ...CA I never had you down as a violent man. Personally, I would have just sat there smugly knowing where Gods own country is.

according to wiki it was a place in ireland that was first called GOC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God%27s_Own_Country

still nuffin about manchester though

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    'Should I have outed him or glassed him?' ''Glassed him'' ...CA I never had you down as a violent man. Personally, I would have just sat there smugly knowing where Gods own country is.
    I did exactly that Brin. Don't know where the violent thought came from. Must have been when I was last back there and witnessed a fight in Dodworth MWC between a 60 year old and an 80 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I did exactly that Brin. Don't know where the violent thought came from. Must have been when I was last back there and witnessed a fight in Dodworth MWC between a 60 year old and an 80 year old.

Manchester nicknames:

"Cottonopolis" – originated in the 19th century, in reference to the predominance of the cotton industry there.[79]
    "Granadaland" – coined from the region's commercial TV operator, Granada Television, which is based in the city at Granada Studios, it was also used as a moniker for Manchester itself, especially in the media world.[80]
    "Gunchester" – name attached to the city by media in the 1990s because of the high incidence of gun crime in south Manchester.[81][82]
    "Madchester"[83] – the name arising from a musical scene in the city in the late 1980s and early 1990s; and which has been attributed to Shaun Ryder, of the Happy Mondays[84]
    "Manchesterford" – portmanteau of Manchester and Salford, began as a fictional setting for Victoria Wood's 1980s series of sketches on BBC TV, Acorn Antiques,[85] but gained colloquial popularity, especially on the gay scene and was immortalized in iron and song lyrics during a 2005 staging of a stage musical version of the TV sketches.[86]
    "Rainy City" – Manchester is often perceived to have rainy weather.[87]
    "Manny" – shortened version of Manchester.
    "Warehouse city" – also emerged as a nickname in the 19th century thanks to the large number of warehouses constructed (1,819 by 1815), particularly concentrated in a square mile around the city centre. Many of these were noted for their scale and style.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ited_Kingdom#M

Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    i did exactly that brin. Don't know where the violent thought came from. Must have been when i was last back there and witnessed a fight in dodworth mwc between a 60 year old and an 80 year old.
    mwc?

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    mwc?
    Mad Womens Club,its full of them in doderth

Always felt that a mad woman's place was in the home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast