+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Faces not fitting

(I wouldn't rule it out. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea and TBH him holding his face and going down easily trying to buy a foul and constant moaning at the ref does my head in but TBF historically the defence has been better with him in and he does get his head on crosses and maybe does organise them more vocally. Cue being shot down lol.)

Not from me....apart from his dramatics he's the best leader we've got and bringing him on definitely earned us a point when it looked like we'd get nothing v Oldham!

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Kewell currently has to pick from:-

- The entire back four that finished fifth in this division last season, with a very impressive defensive record.
    - An entire back four that he was allowed to sign himself for some reason.
    - A winger who cost a reported £300k, and a winger who scored 12 for a relegated team in his last season at this level.
    - Another winger who was ever present until January last season, when we were just about top of the league.
    - A central midfielder who was virtually ever present in a team that finished fifth in this division last season.
    - A central midfielder Kewell has signed twice this season.
    - A central midfielder with hundreds of Championship games under his belt.
    - Three strikers who scored approx 50 goals between them last season.
    - Kellett, Patching, Crawford, Husin, Alessandra, Oxlade-Chamberlain and others who don't fit into any of the categories above.

The idea that there isn't enough there to put together a competent, functioning football team is ridiculous.
    Precisely,

Taxi for '@rry Clueless.

Don't totally agree

( - The entire back four that finished fifth in this division last season, with a very impressive defensive record. - Hall, Duffy and Tootle injured
    - An entire back four that he was allowed to sign himself for some reason. - Had to do something with the above and use the unattached market, never going to be that fruitful
    - A winger who cost a reported £300k, and a winger who scored 12 for a relegated team in his last season at this level - Enzios playing well
    - Another winger who was ever present until January last season, when we were just about top of the league. - Hawkridge hasn't been great consistently from when we signed him
    - A central midfielder who was virtually ever present in a team that finished fifth in this division last season. - Most people argue he was carried by yates and have been stating that ever since yates left
    - A central midfielder Kewell has signed twice this season. - Milsom has done well bar Tuesday, sending off was his biggest mistake it cost us
    - A central midfielder with hundreds of Championship games under his belt. - He's had enough chances under Nolan and Kewell and for whatever reason has been poor
    - Three strikers who scored approx 50 goals between them last season. - Dennis injured and no pre season, Hemmings has been playing well but all these guys need the team playing well
    - Kellett, Patching, Crawford, Husin, Alessandra, Oxlade-Chamberlain and others who don't fit into any of the categories above - Alessandras been playing well, Kellett maybe worth a shout, Husins blew his chance every time he's played this season and the other 3 on the face of it don't look ready)

It's just a very large squad with no stand out players bar a couple
    Last edited by matt_magpie; 08-11-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    It's just a very large squad with no stand out players bar a couple
    This.

On paper you can point to players' histories but in truth nobody wanted us to keep the same defence we had last season other than Kevin Nolan. Tootle has been half the player he was last season, Brisley the same. This is the defence that was shipping at least 3 goals a game under Kevin Nolan so you can't say Kewell should be getting more from them or using them better as they weren't even doing it for Nolan.

Turley has been a big improvement, I know you're not a fan of him Jacob but he's saved us goals on his own a few times already (whilst also scoring an own goal but he couldn't really do anything other than try and get something on it). I also think Ward is an improvement on Duffy and Brisley for what it's worth.

Enzio can't do much more than he already is.

Hewitt has done alright imo, same with Milsom although both were poor on Tuesday.

David Vaughan has been utter cr*p other than his performance against MK Dons (where he still almost handed them a goal)

Dennis has barely played, first through injury and then because Stead and Hemmings were both playing well.

Allessandra has been one of our better players this season and the rest of Nolan's rag tag bunch of nobodies haven't done much to impress so far.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    This.

On paper you can point to players' histories but in truth nobody wanted us to keep the same defence we had last season other than Kevin Nolan. Tootle has been half the player he was last season, Brisley the same. This is the defence that was shipping at least 3 goals a game under Kevin Nolan so you can't say Kewell should be getting more from them or using them better as they weren't even doing it for Nolan.

Turley has been a big improvement, I know you're not a fan of him Jacob but he's saved us goals on his own a few times already (whilst also scoring an own goal but he couldn't really do anything other than try and get something on it). I also think Ward is an improvement on Duffy and Brisley for what it's worth.

Enzio can't do much more than he already is.

Hewitt has done alright imo, same with Milsom although both were poor on Tuesday.

David Vaughan has been utter cr*p other than his performance against MK Dons (where he still almost handed them a goal)

Dennis has barely played, first through injury and then because Stead and Hemmings were both playing well.

Allessandra has been one of our better players this season and the rest of Nolan's rag tag bunch of nobodies haven't done much to impress so far.

Cant argue with that.

Yes, Delroy has provided a far more accurate analysis than Jacob, Prophet & Swale. It seems some fans, rather like some of our players, are sleep walking through this season. Pedigree, last season's history and reputation count for sod all - it is the here & now that matters.

I think the vast majority of players who have left us over the last 10 years have gone out of league footbal altogether. There are at least 6 that will go the same way from this mob.

Turley & Ward are delivering as are the inconsistent but occasionally dangerous Enzio & Alessandra. Milsom is decent on the ball, the keeper is doing well and Hemmings always gives you a chance with his mobility & grit. Chuck ?The experience of Duffy & Stead in and you've basically got the only players worthy of a place in decent league 2 team tbh.

Thus, I have sympathy for Kewell but his strategy and tactical approach are causing him, and us, some serious problems.
    Last edited by Pies4u; 08-11-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    Yes, Delroy has provided a far more accurate analysis than Jacob, Prophet & Swale. It seems some fans, rather like some of our players, are sleep walking through this season. Pedigree, last season's history and reputation count for sod all - it is the here & now that matters.

I think the vast majority of players who have left us over the last 10 years have gone out of league footbal altogether. There are at least 6 that will go the same way from this mob.

Turley & Ward are delivering as are the inconsistent but occasionally dangerous Enzio & Alessandra. Milsom is decent on the ball, the keeper is doing well and Hemmings always gives you a chance with his mobility & grit. Chuck ?The experience of Duffy & Stead in and you've basically got the only players worthy of a place in decent league 2 team tbh.

Thus, I have sympathy for Kewell but his strategy and tactical approach are causing him, and us, some serious problems.
    Last season's history surely counts before a ball has been kicked in the new season.

I certainly didn't expect the terrible defensive record over the first few games.

Have to say I was really hopeful before the season started. The more and more it has gone on, the more I see how we have suffered because of the refereeing errors in the play-offs. If we had gone up then I reckon it would have been a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Last season's history surely counts before a ball has been kicked in the new season.

I certainly didn't expect the terrible defensive record over the first few games.

Have to say I was really hopeful before the season started. The more and more it has gone on, the more I see how we have suffered because of the refereeing errors in the play-offs. If we had gone up then I reckon it would have been a different story.
    Yes there were refereeing errors but we were completely outplayed in the play offs

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    This is so true, but how and why does it happen? Successful lower-league teams have a scattering of up-and-coming stars who go on to play at a higher level; Notts, on the other hand, have a bunch of jouneymen, has-beens and never-will-bes who disappear after playing for the club. Since the Munto season, how many have gone on to better things? Judge, Bishop - can't think of anyone else. How many have ended up in non-league or playing for a crap L2 club - pretty much everyone. It's unbelievable, really.

Of our current crop, who could realistically play at a higher level? Enzio should really be in L1, but who else? On the other hand, how many of this lot would get a job at another league club come next summer?
    Last edited by slack_pie; 09-11-2018 at 06:46 AM.

I’m not sure, but Kasper seems to be doing well.
    Dongde He has gone Wolves, the jury is out on him, but has gone to a much bigger club.
    Alan Sheehan is playing for a pretty decent League 1 side who may challenge for a place in the Championship.
    Ben Davies went to Derby from us... yes he is now in Non-League, but he is what 37/38.

They are just a few off the top of my head. I am sure there are others.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast