+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Faces not fitting

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I’m not sure, but Kasper seems to be doing well.
    Dongde He has gone Wolves, the jury is out on him, but has gone to a much bigger club.
    Alan Sheehan is playing for a pretty decent League 1 side who may challenge for a place in the Championship.
    Ben Davies went to Derby from us... yes he is now in Non-League, but he is what 37/38.

They are just a few off the top of my head. I am sure there are others.
    Bialkowski hasn't done bad. Stuart Nelson played in L1.

Then there's the lad who went to Liverpool .....

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I certainly didn't expect the terrible defensive record over the first few games.
    A lot of people did. Me included.

When i saw that we'd not replaced our goalkeeper and were relying on a keeper that I didn't rate that highly when he played last season and we were keeping the same defence that despite not conceding many overall, had seen us slide down from the top 3 over the second half of the season I was not filled with any confidence in the defence at all.

Bialkowski hasn't done bad. Stuart Nelson played in L1.

Then there's the lad who went to Liverpool .....
    Alan Judge, Jeff Hughes, Neil Bishop & Graham Burke all ended up playing at a higher level. I'm sure there will be others.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    A lot of people did. Me included.

When i saw that we'd not replaced our goalkeeper and were relying on a keeper that I didn't rate that highly when he played last season and we were keeping the same defence that despite not conceding many overall, had seen us slide down from the top 3 over the second half of the season I was not filled with any confidence in the defence at all.
    I think the problem in the second half of the season wasn't the defence but the goals scored.

1st 23 games - F 39 A 24
    2nd 23 games - F 32 A 24

Not a huge fall but a significant one imo.

Action was taken and 3 players recruited who, let's face it, if they played to their strengths would have been, and are, plenty good enough for this league.

I meant that I didn't really think we would concede 3 goals a game, after 1 goal a game over the whole of the season.

(League games only)

Interesting stat though that if Fitz hadn't lost his head, we'd have gone a whole season without a straight red card. Pretty impressive that.
    Last edited by magpie_mania; 09-11-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    This is so true, but how and why does it happen? Successful lower-league teams have a scattering of up-and-coming stars who go on to play at a higher level; Notts, on the other hand, have a bunch of jouneymen, has-beens and never-will-bes who disappear after playing for the club. Since the Munto season, how many have gone on to better things? Judge, Bishop - can't think of anyone else. How many have ended up in non-league or playing for a crap L2 club - pretty much everyone. It's unbelievable, really.

Of our current crop, who could realistically play at a higher level? Enzio should really be in L1, but who else? On the other hand, how many of this lot would get a job at another league club come next summer?
    Since the end of the 2009 / 10 Munto season I make it 12 players that have gone on to play at a higher level than the club were when they left. It’s distorted somewhat because 4 players were from the title winning squad. So that’s 8 players since. So we are lucky if it’s one a season on average.

1.) Kasper Schmicheal - Leeds United (Championship)
    2.) Ben Davies - Derby County (Championship)
    3.) Neal Bishop - Blackpool (Championship)
    4.) Jonnie Jackson - Charlton Athletic (Championship)
    5.) Alan Judge - Blackburn Rovers (Championship)
    6.) Jamal Campbell Rice - Sheffield United (League One)
    7.) Mark Fotheringham - Fulham (Championship)
    8.) Gary Liddell - Bradford City (League One)
    9.) Alan Sheehan - Bradford City (League One)
    10.) Bartosz Bialkowski - Ipswich (Championship)
    11.) Alex Rodman - Shrewsbury Town (League One)
    12.) Graham Burke - Preston North End (Championship)

For these twelve players I can’t imagine for one minute how many players have come through the door on their way down or sideways to other clubs in our league. It must be a few hundred.

This is where the clubs problems lie in my opinion. Until we change path and get players that are on their way up whether that’s with us or by us being a stepping stone for them we will never be successful.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 09-11-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Since the end of the 2009 / 10 Munto season I make it 12 players that have gone on to play at a higher level than the club were when they left. It’s distorted somewhat because 4 players were from the title winning squad. So that’s 8 players since. So we are lucky if it’s one a season on average.

1.) Kasper Schmicheal - Leeds United (Championship)
    2.) Ben Davies - Derby County (Championship)
    3.) Neal Bishop - Blackpool (Championship)
    4.) Jonnie Jackson - Charlton Athletic (Championship)
    5.) Alan Judge - Blackburn Rovers (Championship)
    6.) Jamal Campbell Rice - Sheffield United (League One)
    7.) Mark Fotheringham - Fulham (Championship)
    8.) Gary Liddell - Bradford City (League One)
    9.) Alan Sheehan - Bradford City (League One)
    10.) Bartosz Bialkowski - Ipswich (Championship)
    11.) Alex Rodman - Shrewsbury Town (League One)
    12.) Graham Burke - Preston North End (Championship)

For these twelve players I can’t imagine for one minute how many players have come through the door on their way down or sideways to other clubs in our league. It must be a few hundred.

This is where the clubs problems lie in my opinion. Until we change path and get players that are on their way up whether that’s with us or by us being a stepping stone for them we will never be successful.
    Exactly. Not sure what MM was trying to prove. It is far easier to name half a dozen who moved on rather than the dozens of no hopers and never will be’s who disappeared down the drain. Dredging up Schmeichel & Davies is also going back a bit far by whoever mentioned them.

The list is endless from the past 6 seasons alone. Here is a random selection;

Wholey, Dixon, Sharpe, Hollis, Murray, Stirling, Haynes, Tempest, McLeod - not to mention the assorted rubbish Moniz signed, like Swerts, Sprockel, Snijders & that fancy Dan midfielder whose name escapes me but he was absolute tripe. Who will ever forget Adams, Bennett & the circus act that was Aborah - just trawl back through old programmes to see the amount of dross we have released. It is a never ending list of dross.
    Last edited by Pies4u; 09-11-2018 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    The list is endless from the past 6 seasons alone. Here is a random selection;

Wholey, Dixon, Sharpe, Hollis, Murray, Stirling, Haynes, Tempest, McLeod - not to mention the assorted rubbish Moniz signed, like Swerts, Sprockel, Snijders & that fancy Dan midfielder whose name escapes me but he was absolute tripe. Who will ever forget Adams, Bennett & the circus act that was Aborah - just trawl back through old programmes to see the amount of dross we have released. It is a never ending list of dross.
    Sad isn't it? Whenever a "Best Notts XI" from any timespan crops up you can invariably get close to it. But when it's a "Worst Notts XI", you spend ages over it because there is such a wide choice, but once a few others have posted their own team you quickly realise that you have missed an awful lot of very deserving candidates!

Quote Originally Posted by McCullochisGod View Post
    Yes there were refereeing errors but we were completely outplayed in the play offs
    Outplayed ?

We finished higher than Coventry in the League

Yes Coventry were good only in the first half. At there place they did not out play us, nor in the second half

Without refereeing errors Notts would lead 3 -2 on aggregate when Forte scored with 20 mins, outplayed my ass

I think the problem in the second half of the season wasn't the defence but the goals scored.

1st 23 games - F 39 A 24
    2nd 23 games - F 32 A 24

Not a huge fall but a significant one imo.

Action was taken and 3 players recruited who, let's face it, if they played to their strengths would have been, and are, plenty good enough for this league.

I meant that I didn't really think we would concede 3 goals a game, after 1 goal a game over the whole of the season.

(League games only)

Interesting stat though that if Fitz hadn't lost his head, we'd have gone a whole season without a straight red card. Pretty impressive that.
    So the injury to bennett could have been significant

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    So the injury to bennett could have been significant
    Far more significant is that the attackers from the first half didn't perform as well in the 2nd.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456