+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rememberance

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    I'm off to France at the weekend to lay a poppy wreath on the war grave of my grandfather who was killed in action 3 months before the war ended. Will be a very poignant moment.
    Have a safe trip tip. You must be so proud of your Grandfather.

Having a great grandad who suffered terribly from the effects of mustard gas and my own grandad who fought at el alamein with the eighth army I will never forget the sacrifice the older generation made for us

Sadly I never knew my one Grandad as he passed away during the sixties. I know from my Dad that he was one of eight and one brother lost his life on the Somme. Tomorrow will be a chance to pay our respects to him too and let him know in our own way how immensely proud and grateful we are.

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieBlood View Post
    Have a safe trip tip. You must be so proud of your Grandfather.
    He is buried a few yards from the grave of John McCrae who is the writer of the famous World War 1 poem 'In Flanders Field'. A short poem but very moving. Well worth a read.

Just listened to Edward dwyer talking and singing were here because we're here . just Google it it's on you tube a voice from the great war who won the VC but was killed on the 3rd of September 1916 it puts a tear in your eye

I have a vague recollection of my maternal grandfather. He seemed a kindly sort albeit a bit irritable. Was into repairing old watches something a lot of the oldies did back in the day. I found out much later, after his passing, that he had fought at the Battle of Jutland whose ship was hit with many hands lost at sea. He survived in the sea for over 5 hours clinging to driftwood and was eventually picked up by a passing destroyer.

We had a couple of nights in Krakow at the end of last month. The objective was to visit the Auschwitz camps. (Albeit the old town of Krakow was interesting)
    Very difficult to find the words to describe it. Absolutely chilling, and whilst my generation were well aware of the history, I was unprepared for the horror.
    We must never forget what went on and remember the immense debt of gratitude owed to all those who gave up their lives.
    Not everyone’s cup of tea I’m sure, but for our part we’re pleased to have undertaken the visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    We had a couple of nights in Krakow at the end of last month. The objective was to visit the Auschwitz camps. (Albeit the old town of Krakow was interesting)
    Very difficult to find the words to describe it. Absolutely chilling, and whilst my generation were well aware of the history, I was unprepared for the horror.
    We must never forget what went on and remember the immense debt of gratitude owed to all those who gave up their lives.
    Not everyone’s cup of tea I’m sure, but for our part we’re pleased to have undertaken the visit.
    I went to Dachua, but my wife didn't want to to go, and it was a horrible from seeing the gates "work will set you free" until I left.

It was very upsetting and only matched by the visit to Hiroshima and seeing the after effects of the atom bomb at the Peace museum. Little children's bikes whose tyres had just melted away, made you realise what must happened to the poor little uns riding them.

I went to Dachua, but my wife didn't want to to go, and it was a horrible from seeing the gates "work will set you free" until I left.

It was very upsetting and only matched by the visit to Hiroshima and seeing the after effects of the atom bomb at the Peace museum. Little children's bikes whose tyres had just melted away, made you realise what must happened to the poor little uns riding them.
    Similar words on the Auschwitz 1 camp gates BB buddy. I was aware of the Nazi concentration camps, but hadn’t fully appreciated that Auschwitz was an extermination camp, hideously set up to maximise deaths.
    We really must never forget.��

I went to Dachau BB when I was in Munich. It's an interesting albeit difficult experience for sure. I went to one worse than that tbh on the German Austrian border - Mauthausen. Unlike Dachau which has had modifications for visitors and has a degree of modernity about it , Mauthausen is pretty much as it was. It's as if they locked the gates and time has stood still. Very eery and atmospheric and the old cliche is true that there are no birds singing.

Interesting comments about Hiroshima. My Dad's mate was in Burma fighting the Japs. He always said they'd still be fighting if America hadn't of dropped the bomb given Japan's refusal to end the war despite having lost it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)