+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rememberance

Rememberance

I went to a 'Festival of Rememberance' at our local theatre last night. It was excellent.

There was a mixture of marching bands, songs from the time, dance and poetry. Much of the content was from local kids and they did themselves proud.

I know it's fashionable to knock today's youth and indeed pretty much anything else from modern day Britain but whether its car drivers, cyclists, pedestrians immigrants etc. I reckon the vast majority are polite, reasonable, law abiding folk who just want to get on with their lives. It's easy to catch someone out doing something wrong. Why do we not catch them out doing something right?

I found last night uplifting.

Off up to London this weekend for Rememberance Sunday beginning with a concert at St Paul's courtesy of the Flanders Govt. They do appreciate what we Brits did it 14-18

I'm off to France at the weekend to lay a poppy wreath on the war grave of my grandfather who was killed in action 3 months before the war ended. Will be a very poignant moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    I went to a 'Festival of Rememberance' at our local theatre last night. It was excellent.

There was a mixture of marching bands, songs from the time, dance and poetry. Much of the content was from local kids and they did themselves proud.

I know it's fashionable to knock today's youth and indeed pretty much anything else from modern day Britain but whether its car drivers, cyclists, pedestrians immigrants etc. I reckon the vast majority are polite, reasonable, law abiding folk who just want to get on with their lives. It's easy to catch someone out doing something wrong. Why do we not catch them out doing something right?

I found last night uplifting.

Off up to London this weekend for Rememberance Sunday beginning with a concert at St Paul's courtesy of the Flanders Govt. They do appreciate what we Brits did it 14-18

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    I'm off to France at the weekend to lay a poppy wreath on the war grave of my grandfather who was killed in action 3 months before the war ended. Will be a very poignant moment.

Great post 9 goals. Hope all goes well on both you and Tippery’s respectibpve trips of remembrance. As you say, generally we all want the same, a harmonious life. We all have off days and moan about this or that, there is so much good out there which we never hear of. We only get to hear about the bad stuff.

Went for my usual Weds run along the prom at 9 this morning. Turned back home when the wind and rain got so bad it stopped being fun.

An hour later I answered the door to a rather elderly lady with a Credit Card and my Driving Licence in her hands. Explained she had found it on the sea wall and brought it back to me (2 miles from where she had found it) when walking her dog. After thanking her a dozen times I checked my phone case and discovered I had also lost my Debit Card and my Loyalty Card from my local. Went to look for them but found nothing.
    Middle of the afternoon I got a phone call from the pub (about 3 miles from the prom.) A cyclist had brought in my cards.
    If this sounds 'contrived' so soon after my OP I promise this is an abridged version of what a couple of ordinary folk did for me today.
    Catch em out doing the decent thing I say. It happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Went for my usual Weds run along the prom at 9 this morning. Turned back home when the wind and rain got so bad it stopped being fun.

An hour later I answered the door to a rather elderly lady with a Credit Card and my Driving Licence in her hands. Explained she had found it on the sea wall and brought it back to me (2 miles from where she had found it) when walking her dog. After thanking her a dozen times I checked my phone case and discovered I had also lost my Debit Card and my Loyalty Card from my local. Went to look for them but found nothing.
    Middle of the afternoon I got a phone call from the pub (about 3 miles from the prom.) A cyclist had brought in my cards.
    If this sounds 'contrived' so soon after my OP I promise this is an abridged version of what a couple of ordinary folk did for me today.
    Catch em out doing the decent thing I say. It happens all the time.
    Heart warming story 9goals. I have little faith in modern society nowadays but every now and again something happens to change my opinion. There are plenty of decent people still out there, just nowhere near as many anymore, only my thoughts.

With regard to Remembrance this Sunday I’m pulling my son from playing his league match in order to go to the war memorial in Dudley for the parade. I want him to understand a little more about what others did for us. I fear as the years roll by and the older generations pass, then so does the memory of WW1 & 2. Of course, it’s not all about those two conflicts alone, so i’ll I want him to understand that too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Minn Junta View Post
    Heart warming story 9goals. I have little faith in modern society nowadays but every now and again something happens to change my opinion. There are plenty of decent people still out there, just nowhere near as many anymore, only my thoughts.

With regard to Remembrance this Sunday I’m pulling my son from playing his league match in order to go to the war memorial in Dudley for the parade. I want him to understand a little more about what others did for us. I fear as the years roll by and the older generations pass, then so does the memory of WW1 & 2. Of course, it’s not all about those two conflicts alone, so i’ll I want him to understand that too.
    Good stuff Minnj .

Quote Originally Posted by The Minn Junta View Post

Well doned Minn. There's one lad who won't forget.

From the 'Flanders Remembers' last night. An anti war 'hit' from 1915

Ten million soldiers to the war have gone,
    Who may never return again.
    Ten million mothers' hearts must break
    For the ones who died in vain.
    Head bowed down in sorrow
    In her lonely years,
    I heard a mother murmur thru' her tears:

I didn't raise my boy to be a soldier,
    I brought him up to be my pride and joy.
    Who dares to place a musket on his shoulder,
    To shoot some other mother's darling boy?
    Let nations arbitrate their future troubles,
    It's time to lay the sword and gun away.
    There'd be no war today,
    If mothers all would say,
    "I didn't raise my boy to be a soldier."

What victory can cheer a mother's heart,
    When she looks at her blighted home?
    What victory can bring her back
    All she cared to call her own?
    Let each mother answer
    In the years to be,
    Remember that my boy belongs to me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)