+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The thing is?

The thing is?

We must start at the top of the club and that is the directors. They are the ones who take all the risks so we should appreciate they are the ones who should take any profits and positives. They will decide the strategy and policies of the club. We may never know what the strategies and policies are. All the supporters can do is hope they don't go down previous routes that nearly find the club in ruins. However, a good board would be relatively open and transparent in respect where they see the club in say 5 years. Of course that might not go to plan but plans are there to change and be adjusted.

The next level are those responsible for on pitch displays this predominately is the first team but also has to include the other Junior teams. SD and Ian Woan along with other coaches and scouts etc will set the tone for the playing squads. Again we cannot expect to be told details. However, some elements where things need to improve could be shared and that is just not about the first team but other areas of the playing squads and scouting missions.

The next level is the players themselves. They should have some licence to express themselves. That might be through SD, keeping things inside the group but that expression should influence SD's thoughts (no one knows everything).

Final level are the fans. This is were most people are. There I a need for a Official Club Forum and any important points or ideas should be extracted from the dross and an official reply made to the Official Forum in the method of a statement where that is considered reasonable. The real fans have a responsibility to attend as many games as possible no matter what opinions are thought about performance levels.

In general someone needs to be given the responsibility to bring all opinions of all the different levels and act as a conduit to which ever level it should be directed.

No matter what I have said in the past at the end of the day I am a claret from way back and have unbroken support since 1964 and nothing will change that. So come on the Board, Managers, Players and supporters lets be open and transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster100 View Post
    We must start at the top of the club and that is the directors. They are the ones who take all the risks so we should appreciate they are the ones who should take any profits and positives. They will decide the strategy and policies of the club. We may never know what the strategies and policies are. All the supporters can do is hope they don't go down previous routes that nearly find the club in ruins. However, a good board would be relatively open and transparent in respect where they see the club in say 5 years. Of course that might not go to plan but plans are there to change and be adjusted.

The next level are those responsible for on pitch displays this predominately is the first team but also has to include the other Junior teams. SD and Ian Woan along with other coaches and scouts etc will set the tone for the playing squads. Again we cannot expect to be told details. However, some elements where things need to improve could be shared and that is just not about the first team but other areas of the playing squads and scouting missions.

The next level is the players themselves. They should have some licence to express themselves. That might be through SD, keeping things inside the group but that expression should influence SD's thoughts (no one knows everything).

Final level are the fans. This is were most people are. There I a need for a Official Club Forum and any important points or ideas should be extracted from the dross and an official reply made to the Official Forum in the method of a statement where that is considered reasonable. The real fans have a responsibility to attend as many games as possible no matter what opinions are thought about performance levels.

In general someone needs to be given the responsibility to bring all opinions of all the different levels and act as a conduit to which ever level it should be directed.

No matter what I have said in the past at the end of the day I am a claret from way back and have unbroken support since 1964 and nothing will change that. So come on the Board, Managers, Players and supporters lets be open and transparent.
    But that's not the Burnley way 100.

As a fan of long standing you will know that we never get a hint of transfers; never a hint of strategic direction; certainly no information on possible takeovers or new injection of money bids.

The philosophy seems to be that "we run Burnley and if you don't like it--".

How do you make a small group of shareholders listen? Why should they? It's their club, not yours.

Of course they could sell the Turf and the club and turn it into a supermarket if they wish.

Fans have no rights whatsoever.

In fact, clubs could play games behind locked doors with no fans in attendance and still survive very nicely on Prem money.

Unless fans bought up 51% of the Burnley shares fans have no voice and the Board don't care that much what you think.

Fans are good background noise in an otherwise empty stadium and that's about that.

But interestingly we also don't have a Benefactor who's death that would make us all turn out weeping and wailing like Leicester.

No-one who really binds the club into a community whole--a savior.

And boy do we need one.

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster100 View Post

the fans...need for a Official Club Forum and any important points or ideas should be extracted from the dross...an official reply made to the Official Forum...In general someone needs to be given the responsibility to bring all opinions of all the different levels and act as a conduit to which ever level it should be directed...
    But who decides what's important and what is dross; are you perhaps putting yourself forward for a job?

The really sad thing is if you can get a twenty minute one on one with Dave Baldwin like I have in the recent past he has a very clear strategy on how Burnley Football Club will move forward.

Only thing is you have to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement, so the information stays behind closed doors. I came to the conclusion a couple of years ago that BFC is a closed shop and the fans really are only to be regarded as a cash cow.

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post
    But that's not the Burnley way 100.

As a fan of long standing you will know that we never get a hint of transfers; never a hint of strategic direction; certainly no information on possible takeovers or new injection of money bids.

The philosophy seems to be that "we run Burnley and if you don't like it--".

How do you make a small group of shareholders listen? Why should they? It's their club, not yours.

Of course they could sell the Turf and the club and turn it into a supermarket if they wish.

Fans have no rights whatsoever.

In fact, clubs could play games behind locked doors with no fans in attendance and still survive very nicely on Prem money.

Unless fans bought up 51% of the Burnley shares fans have no voice and the Board don't care that much what you think.

Fans are good background noise in an otherwise empty stadium and that's about that.

But interestingly we also don't have a Benefactor who's death that would make us all turn out weeping and wailing like Leicester.

No-one who really binds the club into a community whole--a savior.

And boy do we need one.
    I cannot disagree with any of your points I was just outlining what would happen with a good open and transparent club

I think this is unfair.

If the board announced that Sean was to be given £30million to spend in the transfer window then this would alert other clubs and they might well demand more for our targets.

If our recruitment team told us that we are looking to buy a young midfielder from Lens then other clubs would take a look at him.

If Sean announces that we are going to play 442 on Saturday with Vokes/Barnes up top then Leicester would be able to plan accordingly.

If we are in early stage negotiations with a possible new investor in the club then it is certainly best to keep stuff like that under wraps.

To my knowledge, no club has ever given out that kind of info - for good reasons - and that includes BFC since I started watching them in 1962.

I have always been, and still am, proud of my club, even though there have been times when I have been pulling my hair out in frustration.

These last ten years have been very special - and so much has been achieved that I never thought I would see in my wildest dreams.

And, yes. Our fans have always enjoyed a good moan. Every time we sold a star player in the 60's for example, and Jimmy Mac in particular.

It really is like a family, with all the ups and downs that entails.

Let them get on with it - they haven't done too shabbily recently!

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I think this is unfair.

If the board announced that Sean was to be given £30million to spend in the transfer window then this would alert other clubs and they might well demand more for our targets.

If our recruitment team told us that we are looking to buy a young midfielder from Lens then other clubs would take a look at him.

If Sean announces that we are going to play 442 on Saturday with Vokes/Barnes up top then Leicester would be able to plan accordingly.

If we are in early stage negotiations with a possible new investor in the club then it is certainly best to keep stuff like that under wraps.

To my knowledge, no club has ever given out that kind of info - for good reasons - and that includes BFC since I started watching them in 1962.

I have always been, and still am, proud of my club, even though there have been times when I have been pulling my hair out in frustration.

These last ten years have been very special - and so much has been achieved that I never thought I would see in my wildest dreams.

And, yes. Our fans have always enjoyed a good moan. Every time we sold a star player in the 60's for example, and Jimmy Mac in particular.

It really is like a family, with all the ups and downs that entails.

Let them get on with it - they haven't done too shabbily recently!
    I can agree with most of this.
    The big problem these days is that almost everyone thinks they can do the job better than the guy who is actually doing it. This goes across the board with passengers on ships and aeroplanes, the public and the police or other emergency services, opposition in government etc., etc. ad nauseam.
    I wonder why these people who know better are not actually doing the jobs they think that they are so well qualified for?
    Just a real question, not being sarcasatic or clever, jsut hanging on to reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    I can agree with most of this.
    The big problem these days is that almost everyone thinks they can do the job better than the guy who is actually doing it. This goes across the board with passengers on ships and aeroplanes, the public and the police or other emergency services, opposition in government etc., etc. ad nauseam.
    I wonder why these people who know better are not actually doing the jobs they think that they are so well qualified for?
    Just a real question, not being sarcasatic or clever, jsut hanging on to reality!
    I suppose one word sums up the feeling on this Forum by so many of Burnley's fans; frustration.

If you finally get an invitation to the Ball after years and years of trying but you never get there because the taxi doesn't arrive then you can understand why frustration is so prevalent on here.

Yes, our recent achievements have been magnificent.

And yes we are about to throw it all away. And that's frustrating.

Having reached the top of Mount Everest we need to pause and take pictures; not rush down at all haste.

You look to our Board to do all within their power to keep our little town's flag flying high.

There is wide-spread belief that "Burnley 101" states "the only aim of Burnley's Board is to look after its shareholders".

You look to our manager and coaching staff to make wise decisions on the field and to make wise transfers off of it.

To keep cementing our position as a Prem club.

We have transferred in yet another goalkeeper and an injured player who has yet to play in the first team.

We have transferred out quite a few.

Net result? Smaller squad than ever-- and too small to keep Burnley in the Prem.

It would be a nice bonus if we actually played good football, but survival football is well tolerated.

And that's all this is about.

If you finally get an invitation to the Ball after years and years of trying but you never get there because the taxi doesn't arrive then you can understand why frustration is so prevalent on here.

I knew Terrier Taxis would eventually end up being the fall guys.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    The really sad thing is if you can get a twenty minute one on one with Dave Baldwin like I have in the recent past he has a very clear strategy on how Burnley Football Club will move forward.

Only thing is you have to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement, so the information stays behind closed doors. I came to the conclusion a couple of years ago that BFC is a closed shop and the fans really are only to be regarded as a cash cow.

So, Is Dave Baldwin the problem??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)