+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical situation...

Hypothetical situation...

Fulham got into the premier league off the back of the playoffs and a solitary goal from Tom Cairney. On the face of it, congrats to Fulham and commiserations to Aston Villa.

However, Fulham look like they're coming straight back down. Tom Cairney, Ryan Sessignon and (over the last 7 weeks) Mitrovic have done very little as the stars of this football team.

Meanwhile, what would have happened had Villa gone up?

No new investment or major stakeholders in the club, just Dr Twitter. Investment? Surely only what he deemed fit from the TV money. Still Steve Bruce in charge. And what then? 20th place in the PL being beaten week.in week out?

What do you think? A blessing in disguise? Or would you prefer if we had gone up?

Yes. We were lied to by Xia. There was no plan b and plan a was sketchy at best. We would have signed Johnstone and Snoddy and Terry probably would have come back and even Grabban, but we would have had to put up our sky pay at the end of the season as collateral and all of those players would have made no difference in the prem except to keep the scores under 6 except against Citeh.

Interesting, Sam. I must admit to having had a little ponder about this. I guess most of us wanted to be seeing Villa playing against the top teams this season, so, of course, missing out so narrowly was hugely disappointing, and made so very much worse when we discovered how much had been gambled on our promotion ....

Definitely a 'sliding doors' moment - what would have happened if ....

Well, Steve Bruce would have become Villa fans new summer hero, his face heralding every bucket, space and inflatable pool ride ... with even Exiled and Freer giving him a chance until ... until well at least at until half time of our first match, despite us conceding to Aguero and Sterling in the first 20 mins.
    At which point Bongo would have started questioning why WE don't own them now we have trillions from the Sky money... If only MON were here ... sigh ... Hmm ... whatever happened to that Sky money ... as BB comments that surely it should mean we can now afford to buy Grealish a pair of shorts that actually fit him, poor boy?

Ok. Seriously. I think maybe sometimes we can get so fixated on the destination, we don't allow ourselves to enjoy the journey, agonising as it can be at times, and sometimes what we want isn't always what's best for us at that time, and hopefully by shining a light on our true financial situation and forcing investment from outsiders is what will be best for us, long term. I'll guess we'll never really know what would have happened had we won, but at the moment, I'd rather be us than Fulham or Cardiff. We still have our dreams of going up - they have a freefall nightmare ...

I think Villa would have invested heavily compared too Fulham.

Bongo, this would have been a Xia only club. We wouldn't have had the funds for heavy investment - too much was owed elsewhere ...

He had massive plans though. Top 3 in the world wouldn't have come cheep.

As a point of interest Bong Fulham spent close on £100m in the summer window & were only beaten in that outlay by Liverpool & Chelsea
    My fear was that if we had of gone up we would of had to have spent all the Sky money & much more just to tread water in the PL
    All things work out for the best
    UTV

100 million! Blimey and still poor. I guess it's how you spend the money. Remember our last season in the premiership when we spent shead loads and still went down.

Fulham aren’t poor bab. They are owned by the owner of the Jacksonville Jags. He has made them a force in the NFL. He has made a deal where they always seem to be the ones playing at Wembley now and he is trying to buy Wembley. He will make an effort to shore up the squad in January and if this manager can’t keep them up won’t be scared to find someone who will get them back up and keep them up.

Quote Originally Posted by stateside View Post
    Fulham aren’t poor bab. They are owned by the owner of the Jacksonville Jags. He has made them a force in the NFL. He has made a deal where they always seem to be the ones playing at Wembley now and he is trying to buy Wembley. He will make an effort to shore up the squad in January and if this manager can’t keep them up won’t be scared to find someone who will get them back up and keep them up.
    ...like Steve Bruce?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)