+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT- The US midterms

OT- The US midterms

So after 2 years, we now know how Hitler was elected and became more and more powerful. He too won a squeaky election and went on to consolidate power, with few daring or bothering to question him in those early days.
    Of course, i'm not saying Trump is Hitler. But his actions are Hitleresque. Just repeat the same lies over and over. Instil fear, blame others especially foreigners, attack your opponents, dismiss the media as fake.
    I'm a liberal conservative. I like some of the Republican party values but in these 2 years the party has been hijacked by Trump and all of them are prepared to turn a blind eye to his wrongs just so the agenda is passed.

Fortunately the US system has checks and balances and Trump can only 'reign' a maximum 8 years. But the shift in stance and divide will take far longer to undo if ever. I could go on but let's see how the results pan out tomorrow.
    In all likelihood, it'll be a damp squid, more of the same with only perhaps the Dems regaining the House. But controlling 1 chamber is not really gonna change much and it could be even worse, if they lose sight and spend the next 2 years just attacking Trump thus allowing him, to shore up his base and point the gridlock as their creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    So after 2 years, we now know how Hitler was elected and became more and more powerful. He too won a squeaky election and went on to consolidate power, with few daring or bothering to question him in those early days.
    Of course, i'm not saying Trump is Hitler. But his actions are Hitleresque. Just repeat the same lies over and over. Instil fear, blame others especially foreigners, attack your opponents, dismiss the media as fake.
    I'm a liberal conservative. I like some of the Republican party values but in these 2 years the party has been hijacked by Trump and all of them are prepared to turn a blind eye to his wrongs just so the agenda is passed.

Fortunately the US system has checks and balances and Trump can only 'reign' a maximum 8 years. But the shift in stance and divide will take far longer to undo if ever. I could go on but let's see how the results pan out tomorrow.
    In all likelihood, it'll be a damp squid, more of the same with only perhaps the Dems regaining the House. But controlling 1 chamber is not really gonna change much and it could be even worse, if they lose sight and spend the next 2 years just attacking Trump thus allowing him, to shore up his base and point the gridlock as their creation.
    It's good to hear the BBC's relentless daily pounding of anything Trump has not been in vain. Since there has not a single news item giving an objective analysis of Trump and his policies it's been a resounding victory for our news media. No one daring to bother him in his early days? Apart from CNN and the crooked Clinton Empire from the day he decided to run for office? The outrageous comparisons with Hitler, while laughable to most historians, are never subject to any serious scrutiny but have found favour with those who enjoy a silly story. A bit like Elvis sightings and UFOs.

Trump managed to carry just 50% of Americans with him, it's true. Although I'm certain Trump would have faced a daily media hammering had it been 75%. The problem with Trump is that he did indeed want to make his country great again. That meant protecting homeland security, which involved stepping up border control to prevent the tsunami of Mexican illegals and (horror of horrors) having the audacity to stop muslim terrorists entering the country and blowing Americans to bits. Oh, and wanting to tear up an Iranian 'peace treaty', one which isn't worth the paper it's printed on giving the lies it contains. A booming economy, fall in unemployment, etc.

Trump may be Hitleresque but he hasn't yet got round to joining the KKK or exterminating the Jews; just give it time. He's only been in office a couple of years and even Hitler couldn't manage it that quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    It's good to hear the BBC's relentless daily pounding of anything Trump has not been in vain. Since there has not a single news item giving an objective analysis of Trump and his policies it's been a resounding victory for our news media. No one daring to bother him in his early days? Apart from CNN and the crooked Clinton Empire from the day he decided to run for office? The outrageous comparisons with Hitler, while laughable to most historians, are never subject to any serious scrutiny but have found favour with those who enjoy a silly story. A bit like Elvis sightings and UFOs.

Trump managed to carry just 50% of Americans with him, it's true. Although I'm certain Trump would have faced a daily media hammering had it been 75%. The problem with Trump is that he did indeed want to make his country great again. That meant protecting homeland security, which involved stepping up border control to prevent the tsunami of Mexican illegals and (horror of horrors) having the audacity to stop muslim terrorists entering the country and blowing Americans to bits. Oh, and wanting to tear up an Iranian 'peace treaty', one which isn't worth the paper it's printed on giving the lies it contains. A booming economy, fall in unemployment, etc.

Trump may be Hitleresque but he hasn't yet got round to joining the KKK or exterminating the Jews; just give it time. He's only been in office a couple of years and even Hitler couldn't manage it that quickly.
    Actually Guntery...’the problem with Trump’ is much more simple. He’s a bigoted, racist, ***ist, misogynistic, amoral, bully...and having spent three months on the other side of the Atlantic this year I don’t need the BBC to tell me that either.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post

I don't disagree with all of his policies. Strong borders are good. Balance trade deals. No tax breaks for dodgy companies. Neil Gorsuch was a good appointment. Kavanaugh may have been guilty of indiscretion whilst a youth but his adult life has been spotless.
    As I said, I'm a liberal conservative but I don't want to condone a liar and womaniser and all sorts of other things just so these policies are enacted. Where are your principles? A Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio would have been able to achieve all of these without the rubbish Trump spouts. You don't elect people by playing on your worst fears.

I don't disagree with all of his policies. Strong borders are good. Balance trade deals. No tax breaks for dodgy companies. Neil Gorsuch was a good appointment. Kavanaugh may have been guilty of indiscretion whilst a youth but his adult life has been spotless.
    As I said, I'm a liberal conservative but I don't want to condone a liar and womaniser and all sorts of other things just so these policies are enacted. Where are your principles? A Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio would have been able to achieve all of these without the rubbish Trump spouts. You don't elect people by playing on your worst fears.
    Not sure what’s wrong with being a ‘womaniser’ Rom...but I am sure what’s wrong with many of the things Trump has said about women.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not sure what’s wrong with being a ‘womaniser’ Rom...but I am sure what’s wrong with many of the things Trump has said about women.
    Nothing wrong except the hypocrisy of the Christian right who supports him, ignoring all his 'sins' and lies just so they can get their rights on guns and abortion

Of course, i'm not saying Trump is Hitler. But his actions are Hitleresque.
    Quit with the Hitler comparisons Rom, its a poor analogy, neither Trump nor any of the other bad guys round the world come close

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not sure what’s wrong with being a
    ‘womaniser’ Rom...but I am sure what’s wrong with many of the things Trump has said about women.
    Good at grabbing pussies as well RA 😃

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Quit with the Hitler comparisons Rom, its a poor analogy, neither Trump nor any of the other bad guys round the world come close
    I think you need to read that whole paragraph. I'm not at all comparing him to that *******. Just the manner of getting oneself elected by playing up fears, lies and all sorts of things that make native people fear. As it is the extreme far right in America are elated that someone that shares some of their ideals has been elected. Better still, he's saying some of the things they like to hear and have been saying. Take his comments after Charlottesville

We all have low opinions and expectations of our elected leaders. Yet we certainly don't expect them to stoop to the levels this man has been taking. His whole philosophy it seems is to try and erase Barack Obama's presidency. NAFTA has been replaced by something just as similar. Climate treaty axed. A less hostile Iran after that deal - axed. Jerusalem policy - sustained by at least the last 3 presidents = axed. Yes you have good tax cuts - it does look good for now, but how long is it gonna last? The rich will get richer by it, and eventually they'll stop giving out a portion of these gains when the gains themselves expire.
    What has exactly occurred differently with North Korea? They still don't seem anywhere keen or close to letting the nukes go. Putin is emboldened. NATO I agree with him is pointless, but what's his replacement? The wall that Mexico is supposed to pay? Well now he's expecting Congress to foot the bill. And will it really keep everyone out? He's even stopped funding research to that agency in Atlanta - the Centre for Disease Control.
    The impact of what damage and direction he's setting is gonna last years and generations and by the looks of it, it's gonna leave the US and the rest of the world in a much worse off position.
    Barry Goldwater was responsible in shifting the Republicans to the right. Now Trump is gonna shift them even further. The politics of compromise and bi[artisanship is doomed. All's that left is gridlock.
    Obama left the USA in a much better off position than when he came to power, much of the gains that Trump now crows has much to do with what Obama set in place. In a decade, you'll see the US slide back down because of this man's policies. or lack thereof.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)