+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Well done Jimmy Dunne...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Sometime fairly imminently we won't need to worry about it Supersub6.
    I know what you mean BT, however, I don't ever worry about anything anyway ---always a happy chappy!

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Good evening 59/60, only two Wainwrights today, are you getting lazy ? Where did you get to, and did you get wet ?

What is hard to understand about,

"I have told other EU leaders that we could give people the certainty they want straight away, and reach such a deal now."

May originally made this offer over two years ago, she repeated it in the Lancaster House speech. She made the offer so that ordinary citizens, both UK and EU would not be in limbo. Would you like to explain what the EU response was to this offer to settle the issue, even before any talks/negotiations had started ?

And as the LibDims are so concerned about the status of EU citizens in this country, could you explain just what pressure, if any, they are putting on the EU regarding safeguarding the rights of UK citizens in the EU after Brexit ? Could you even explain, as you're an EU man, just what the actual situation is regarding UK citizens in the EU after Brexit ? As you're making such a song and dance about our government, I presume you must be quite content with their proposals, so perhaps you could tell us what they are ?
    Evening Sinkov, Evening Alf.

My latest expedition to the Lakes involved tackling a couple of little 'uns.
    Hallins Fell and Beda Fell. The weather forecast was rotten but in the event it turned out OK, apart from high winds.
    Sinkov, I never knew that you used to do fell walking - have you hung your boots up? There are plenty of older people on the hills and I don't have to tell you how rewarding it is.

Like I said, the position of EU citizens in the UK is up in the air at the moment, as is the situation of UK citizens in the EU.

The Lib Dem viewpoint is below. We are campaigning for a peoples vote on the final deal that may be agreed - and this will include the fate of EU and UK citizenship.

i don't understand why you keep quoting the Lancaster House speech which was effectively binned ages ago.

"Protection of rights for EU citizens and UK citizens: We will press for the UK to unilaterally guarantee the rights of EU nationals in the UK, ending their ongoing uncertainty. We will call for the overhaul and simplification of the registration process and the requirements for EU nationals to obtain permanent residence and UK citizenship, as the current system is not fit for purpose. We will urge the government, and use our influence with Liberal leaders in European countries, to secure the same rights for UK citizens living in European Union countries."

https://www.libdems.org.uk/europe-policy

Yes I've hung my boots up 59/60, I was a regular on the Fells from the mid 70s until we moved to France in 2002 but I haven't bothered since we came back. I know Hallin Fell well, one of the best days out in the Lakes must be to get the boat from Glenridding to Howtown, climb Hallin Fell, and then walk back on the lakeside path. I've just checked in my old Wainwright Far Eastern Fells and I've ticked off 26 of the 36 in that area, but Beda Fell is still on the to do list. Although I doubt it'll get done now.

I can't believe we'll be leaving the EU without a withdrawal agreement, our Remainer government have made next to no preparation for it, and the EU's £39 billion depends on there being one, so without one, on our side there will be chaos, on the other side there will be chaos and a fecking great hole in their budget, so one way or another, neither side will allow it to happen. Davis made a very good point when he said MPs should vote down May's deal, both sides will be so desperate for a deal that they will just have to get back round the table and come up with a better one. He could well be right imo.

The very worrying aspect, as you rightly point out, is that citizen's rights are tied up in this deal, which is still in the air. But my point is that this is very much the fault of the EU. Within a few days of taking office May was offering to treat citizen's rights as a separate issue, to be discussed immediately, and hopefully settled even before any talks on a withdrawal agreement began. This would have removed any uncertainty regarding the issue, and EU citizens in the UK, and UK citizens in Europe could all sleep soundly in their beds of a night, knowing their status and rights were guaranteed. The EU flatly rejected this offer from May and insisted citizen's rights be part of the withdrawal agreement. So we are where we are today, thousands of people uncertain of their futures, but this is not the fault of our government who wanted this resolved two years ago, the blame lies squarely with an intransigent EU.

I quote the Lancaster House speech for one reason only. In it she re-iterates her offer to the EU to discuss citizen's rights as a matter of urgency. She had made the offer before and was repeating it, I use that speech simply as evidence that she did make the offer, it's all down there in black and white, I wouldn't want you thinking I was making all this up, us Brexiteers only deal in the facts, we leave the pork pies to you Remoaners.

Anyway, when and where is the next trip up t'Lakes ?

I totally agree with you that the citizenship issue could, and should, have been resolved very early.

We had it in our gift to simply say, "Whatever happens, you can stay with the same status as you have now"

Not quite so simple with Brits living in the EU. Each of the 27 nations would all have to agree that UK citizens have full access to their health services, benefits etc. Nevertheless, like I say, it could and should have been sorted very quickly.

This time of year we are intending to knock off some of the smaller hills...lack of daylight, colder etc. We are only doing it for fun you know!
    Yes, I know the lakeside path between Howtown and Glenridding very well, and we usually call in the incredible Howtown Hotel for a jar. Alas, it shut for the winter last Saturday and won't open until Easter.
    We always include a pub tea and a pint or two at the end of our walk - we used the Sun in Pooley Bridge on Wednesday (2 x Cocker Hoop and steak and ale pie with the trimmings).

Next week looks a bit doubtful for us because of other commitments but we have penciled in Haystacks for the following week, probably Wednesday. Big problem at this time of year is that nearly all the pubs don't start serving grub until 6PM - but we insist on being down from the walk at 4PM because of darkness. Othrerwise it would be the Scafell Hotel in Rosthwaite.

Beda Fell is a fantastic little hill (1664 feet). It is on a ridge and the views either side into Boardale and Bannerdale are superb. The paths are good and mainly grassy and the slopes are very manageable. Another bonus is that we started at Martindale so our actual ascent was a little over 1000 feet.

If you feel the urge to un-hang-up your boots then Beda Fell would be an excellent choice for your first foray.

A nice tip for winter fell walking:

The Howgill Fells from Sedbergh, followed by a lovely meal in the Black Bull.

Wainwright raved about the Howgills for winter leg stretching.

Aye BT, the Howgills are supposed to be great.

I don't think I have ever walked in them but they look inviting when travelling up the M6.

What is all this about following trails, guide books etc. when out walking? You are all reliant on other aids --get out and walk and find your own trails, it is brilliant up here in Northumberland whether you chose to do countryside, hills or coast and there are plenty of pubs around!
    You are all being led by other people whether it be politicians, Wainwright or whoever ---do it yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    What is all this about following trails, guide books etc. when out walking? You are all reliant on other aids --get out and walk and find your own trails, it is brilliant up here in Northumberland whether you chose to do countryside, hills or coast and there are plenty of pubs around!
    You are all being led by other people whether it be politicians, Wainwright or whoever ---do it yourself!!
    I always studied my Wainwrights before going on the Lake District Fells, he doesn't tell you where to go, you please yourself, but the books show you where the paths are and enable you to make a reasonable estimate of how long your walk will take you, and if daylight hours are short, you need to be knowing. I always took a map and compass as well, and still got lost on occasions. You can't play games with most of those hills, especially in winter, you need to know where the paths are, and by and large stick to them. People die on those hills every year, you treat them lightly at your peril.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I always studied my Wainwrights before going on the Lake District Fells, he doesn't tell you where to go, you please yourself, but the books show you where the paths are and enable you to make a reasonable estimate of how long your walk will take you, and if daylight hours are short, you need to be knowing. I always took a map and compass as well, and still got lost on occasions. You can't play games with most of those hills, especially in winter, you need to know where the paths are, and by and large stick to them. People die on those hills every year, you treat them lightly at your peril.
    Point taken, sinkov, in fact I think it was last weekend that our local news reported that some divvys had been found after going on those hills without proper clothing and equipped only with mobile phones. They lost their signal and got lost and the rescue teams were alerted and went out in horrible weather to find them!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Point taken, sinkov, in fact I think it was last weekend that our local news reported that some divvys had been found after going on those hills without proper clothing and equipped only with mobile phones. They lost their signal and got lost and the rescue teams were alerted and went out in horrible weather to find them!
    Yes Super, you have to treat the high hills with respect.

Weather conditions can change within minutes. When the mist rolls in you had better know where you are. If you are off piste then it is very easy to get lost - which could be serious.

Having said that, it is enjoyable to go for a bit of a wander - if the weather is good and you are aware of where you are.

We carry a GPS thingy - but we would never rely on it 100%, so we always carry maps and a compass as well.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)