+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well done Jimmy Dunne...

Well done Jimmy Dunne...

Called up for the Eire squad...

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/...nne-called-up/

I am pretty sure I said two years ago Jimmy was our brightest hope of hitting our first team.

Brilliant news!

He is getting rave reviews during his loan spell at Hearts too!

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Brilliant news!

He is getting rave reviews during his loan spell at Hearts too!
    Will he still be allowed to leave the UK and play for Eire after Brexit 59/60 ? Maybe he would allowed out but wouldn't be allowed back in, no immigration and all that. Perhaps he might need a visa ? And of course these problems will apply to Long, Ward, Brady and Hendrick as well, not to mention Defour and Vydra. Brexit is going to hit our club hard. No ?

Interesting thoughts Sinkov!

Somehow sport, and footy particularly, seem to have special rules.

I think that any non-EU player has to obtain a work permit to ply his trade in the EU, but I'm not clear about the details.

No doubt this will apply to new signings from Ireland in the future too.

The Government have told us that EU people currently living in the UK can stay, but this was thrown into doubt recently.

I received this email yesterday from Ed Davey (you know, one of those DECENT MP's)

Dear Jim

Yesterday, my colleague Tom and I spoke in Parliament for the 3.6 million EU citizens who have been made to put their lives on hold for two years now.

After months of campaigning by the Lib Dems, the government agreed to secure the rights of EU citizens in the draft EU Withdrawal Agreement. But it is only a draft.

And last week, the immigration minister told the Home Affairs Select Committee that current UK based EU citizens would be subject to the same immigration checks as new arrivals - with no documentation to prove their status.

It is inhumane and unacceptable that we are treating EU citizens in this way.

The Conservative Government is holding millions of lives in limbo - while Ministers fight amongst themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Interesting thoughts Sinkov!

Somehow sport, and footy particularly, seem to have special rules.

I think that any non-EU player has to obtain a work permit to ply his trade in the EU, but I'm not clear about the details.

No doubt this will apply to new signings from Ireland in the future too.

The Government have told us that EU people currently living in the UK can stay, but this was thrown into doubt recently.

I received this email yesterday from Ed Davey (you know, one of those DECENT MP's)

Dear Jim

Yesterday, my colleague Tom and I spoke in Parliament for the 3.6 million EU citizens who have been made to put their lives on hold for two years now.

After months of campaigning by the Lib Dems, the government agreed to secure the rights of EU citizens in the draft EU Withdrawal Agreement. But it is only a draft.

And last week, the immigration minister told the Home Affairs Select Committee that current UK based EU citizens would be subject to the same immigration checks as new arrivals - with no documentation to prove their status.

The Conservative Government is holding millions of lives in limbo - while Ministers fight amongst themselves.
    It is what the people voted for because they were given stupid promises about immigration ----and they believed it all!
    There was never any plan at all relating to leaving the EU because Cameron and his ilk thought that it would not happen. When the results were known it threw everyone in government and opposition into a blind panic because they did not know what to do ---they still don't!!

Super, without a doubt, keeping Europeans out of Britain was a key element of the leave campaign.

Freedom of movement will end...it will be up to the politicians to decide who they let in. Will they treat footballers as a special case, and would this be right?

I can imagine that the FA will be lobbying them strongly - they don't want the best players in Europe to be made to feel unwelcome.

As for current EU players (including Irish), as mentioned above - "Current UK based EU citizens would be subject to the same immigration checks as new arrivals - with no documentation to prove their status."
    Would this include footballers? And if not, why not?

59_60 ---your guess is as good as mine because the whole thing is just a big mess ---and it won't go away!! Just as well that I am not the worrying kind ---Que sera sera!

"Yesterday, my colleague Tom and I spoke in Parliament for the 3.6 million EU citizens who have been made to put their lives on hold for two years now.
    The Conservative Government is holding millions of lives in limbo - while Ministers fight amongst themselves."

I sometimes wonder what planet you LIbDems live on. Before negotiations started May offered to settle the status of EU citizens in the UK, they would continue to have their current rights safeguarded and she expected the status quo to apply to Brits living in EU countries. Barnier and the EU refused to talk about it, saying it would be discussed along with everything else in the fullness of time, thus leaving their own citizens in the limbo you're whining about. When they finally did get round to discussing it they insisted that EU citizens rights to be protected under European Law, not ours. This ludicrous suggestion from the EU led to citizen's rights being kicked further into the long grass.
    And what is the situation regarding UK citizens in the EU ? Is their situation settled, has the EU given them any guarantees, or are they being treated in an inhumane and unacceptable way ? Is the EU holding millions of lives in limbo, while they sit intransigently in Brussels, playing politics with ordinary people's lives ?

Theresa May Lancaster House speech January 2017. Almost two years ago.

"6. Rights for EU nationals in Britain, and British nationals in the EU
    Fairness demands that we deal with another issue as soon as possible too. We want to guarantee the rights of EU citizens who are already living in Britain, and the rights of British nationals in other member states, as early as we can.
    I have told other EU leaders that we could give people the certainty they want straight away, and reach such a deal now.
    Many of them favour such an agreement - one or two others do not - but I want everyone to know that it remains an important priority for Britain – and for many other member states – to resolve this challenge as soon as possible. Because it is the right and fair thing to do."
    Last edited by sinkov; 07-11-2018 at 12:35 AM.

Good bit of research that sinkov and puts 1959_60 firmly in his place.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Good bit of research that sinkov and puts 1959_60 firmly in his place.

Didn't even need to research it BT, just had to dig out the Lancaster House speech, that's all. Having lived for 8 years in France, and still having friends and relatives living there, I've had a particular interest in this aspect of Brexit, and I've followed every twist and turn of EU intransigence on the subject closely. Quite honestly the Yellow Peril playing politics with peoples lives like this makes me ****ing sick. Even for politicians they're an obnoxious bunch of lying, devious, shameless, toe-rags. 59/60 apart of course, he's alright, god knows why he's in thrall to them though.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)