+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Well done Jimmy Dunne...

I can always rely on you sinkov to have the last word.

Well just bloody keep up will you please BT. Lifes hard enough without having to hold your hand.

Technically your favourite scramble is a hill not a fell.

Not many hills in the Lake District BT, they are usually called fells, howes, pikes etc. These are old Norse names.

There is actually only one lake in the Lake District - Bassenthwaite Lake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbrian_toponymy

In Scotland they have bens instead of hills and glens instead of valleys etc.

In Britain a mountain is a summit of 600 metres or more (about 2000 feet) but smaller summits are allowed if they are particularly steep.

I know 1959_60, I just like messing with sinkov and I'm certain the pleasure is mutual.

Just for the record, from about the ages of 30 - 55 there was hardly ever a week went by when I was not up in the Cumbrian fells.

I liked it so much we had a second property up there, if I had not divorced that is where I would probably still be. Blencathra remains my favourite, I have ascended it from just about every available option.

Do you not miss the fells BT?
    and puts things into perspective.
    It really clears your head up there.

Yes, Blencathra is a favorite of mine too. I've not tackled Sharp Edge yet though!

Doing the Wainwrights takes you to places you may not normally consider, and some of the walks have been gems.

I too have walked in the Lakes since my ****s but we always headed for the famous ones like Scafell, Helvellyn etc.

I retired last year and zeroed our summits, we are up to 85 now and every one of them has been special.

Get yer boots on!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Technically your favourite scramble is a hill not a fell.
    My favourite scramble is on Gable BT. One odd thing though, I was walking up t'Lakes for over 25 years, I've done most of the Wainwrights, but I've never been on top of the highest, Scafell Pike. Don't really know why, just never got round to it.

Oddest tale ever sinkov.

We had booked in a hotel in Temple Sowerby with some friends and our kids from Christmas Eve through Boxing Day.

Christmas morning my mate says let's all do Scafell Pike and have a cracking dinner instead of lunch. Our host agreed and off we went!

Time was obviously not on our side and we really gave it a rip to get to the top. Biting cold with snow on the ground but eminently passable.

Two hours plus of real toil and we hit the summit. In the cairn on the top of Scafell Pike were gathered about 150 lunatics having Christmas lunch with wine and the trimmings. I kid you not!

"............Two hours plus of real toil and we hit the summit. In the cairn on the top of Scafell Pike were gathered about 150 lunatics having Christmas lunch with wine and the trimmings. I kid you not!"

That's certainly a lot of effort to get to the local Labour Party meeting ---on Christmas Day too ---wow!!

I was that knackered I could not even think of calling a meeting. Perhaps next time..?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)