+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warne on January transfer business

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    Which is another reason why we should dither less than other clubs. We need to trust our judgement and get players whilst they're still within our budget. While ever we keep a watching brief and the player gets better and better so they ultimately get to the point where other clubs are prepared to sign them. We need to be ahead of the game as it were. Historically, Peterborough have been brilliant at doing this. They get the lower league rough diamonds signed up whilst other clubs are still sending scouts to watch them for a sixth time.
    But Peterborough have always been a lower league club you can chuck Crewe in the mix for bringing good young players threw but again lower league team.We can’t have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    if the last 5 managers have said we need to ship out before bringing in then thats the way it is. we have a budget. if warne spends it pre season and has to ship out before bringing in in january then thats his fault. nothing to do with tony stewart not backing him....

frog for all we know ts could have said. right warnie. last time in champ my budget was 10 million. this time im giving you a extra 5 million taking it to 15 million.. how much more would you want ts to give him before hes "backed him"?
    You're right Cayton, we don't know what the financial situation is and we can't make a difference from our keyboards but I would like to see a change that would give a positive message to the supporters.

Buy first what you want then ship out what you don't instead of insisting we have to get rid of players before we can get anyone in.

It's the message that counts. The club won't be able to dictate anything in the market anyway. If another team wants the same player as us then our odds are short in winning a bidding war.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Is that not swings & roundabouts tho rough diamonds JCH being a prime example of £300,000 wasted.How many can we afford,Smith came off granted but it’s a big risk for us.And at the present time I think we need an experienced above average player to help us stay up.When T/S took over he talked about this that’s why he signed Redfern but he could not wait to get to the promised land.I think T/S has got to make up his mind what he really wants he can’t have it both ways with the money we have got.
    I agree to some extent, we're caught between two stools. I don't think TS knows whether he wants the "Peterborough" model or the "wigan" model. There's no doubt the Blackstock affair rattled the club and TS. Ideally, we need a mixture of the two models.

My concerns (as alluded) are that (a) we take just that bit too long when deciding whether to go for a player, and (b) the voluntary wage cap by warne. This could seriously limit his options. I love warney, hes a great bloke, has a fantastic rapport with us and hes proving to be a good manager. However, I think the next step in his development is to prove he can handle players who dont automatically fall into the "band of brothers" clique. If he can master that then we'll all be onto a winner.

Regarding Peterborough (on the other comment), I could be wrong as can't check just yet, but I could swear they've had a bit of second tier action in recent years. Or is my memory playing silly beggars?

Ps... I wouldn't say what we paid for JCH was a total waste. Not in todays stupid standards.

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    Why the last 12 months? The one (which didnt materialise) which stands out is Yates from Forest.

We talked, and talked, and talked again to doidge, but just wanted a bit more time. Slightly beyond 12 months there was the Bogle saga, but the crem de la creme of dithering has to be good old stevie may. That was a disaster for all parties. He ended up choosing the wrong club. Evans would've got the best out of him in my opinion.

January deals are actually being done now up and down the league "in principle". You snooze, you lose.

Our scouting network is ok, we're not daft we know where the good players are. Historically the dithering occurred at the "terms" stage. Agreeing terms either with other clubs, or, more often with players is where we've dithered. Nobody wants us to spend recklessly, however history shows we simply dont understand the market place in which we attempt to shop. But TS says weve learned lessons. So, let's see.

My main worry this time is the supposed voluntary wage cap placed by warney. I understand the reasons behind it, but better players simply demand higher wages. And surely we all want to see us growing as a team and club? Being able to manage the existing players having a sulk because a new player is signed on higher wages is, in my humble opinion, part and parcel of being a modern day football manager.
    i only mentioned the last 12 month mate as imo warne goes for players more realistically who will sign. in the past we have offered on players who would have signed for us as a last resort. no matter how quick we offer or how much we agree on a fee the agent/players drag it out incase a better offer comes in.

in yates case it was the forest manager who changed his mind. a few pre season game and he looked a class player so krank kept him. big clubs who spend 40 plus million in a season dont need to worry about paying wages to players like yates

the other 3 players you mentioned went to bigger clubs who will pay more money in fees and wages... wrong players who have better choices

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Towell was a bit protracted to say the least.
    Could easily have lost him to Pompey or others and we didn't have him for the start of the season
    I suspect it was stubbornness on the proportion of his salary rather than dithering but it worked in the end.......just
    we agreed a fee to buy him. it was only the wages that were a problem and he only came to us as a last resort...

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    You're right Cayton, we don't know what the financial situation is and we can't make a difference from our keyboards but I would like to see a change that would give a positive message to the supporters.

Buy first what you want then ship out what you don't instead of insisting we have to get rid of players before we can get anyone in.

It's the message that counts. The club won't be able to dictate anything in the market anyway. If another team wants the same player as us then our odds are short in winning a bidding war.
    theres always the problem of not getting the players out doing it that way around and as you say we dont know the financial estraints warne is working under. if he and the past managers have said that then im guessing were pissing close to the wind and theres not much lea way

if the last 5 managers have said we need to ship out before bringing in then thats the way it is. we have a budget. if warne spends it pre season and has to ship out before bringing in in january then thats his fault. nothing to do with tony stewart not backing him....

frog for all we know ts could have said. right warnie. last time in champ my budget was 10 million. this time im giving you a extra 5 million taking it to 15 million.. how much more would you want ts to give him before hes "backed him"?
    a pound because how much have we spent in transfer fees?

we agreed a fee to buy him. it was only the wages that were a problem and he only came to us as a last resort...
    .......he's playing like it too ☹

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    .......he's playing like it too ☹
    Tbf he's had 2 good games 😊

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast