+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kewell our or relegation

Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    Agreed, that's what I find most worrying about Kewell being unable to turn things around.
    But he did turn things around, as I've said in another thread our form over the last 10 games has us 13th with a run of 5 unbeaten (DDWWW) followed by a run of 3 losses and two draws. When you also take into account that we lost against MK Dons despite playing very well thanks to the referee and the fact that we dominated Swindon till Tootle got injured things could look very differently. Even ignoring those two "what ifs" we don't have a divine right to win every game but if we maintain mid table form we'll be fine, the only achievement we have to hope for this season is staying up which will not require us to be in great form from now until the end of the season.

We have 6 central defenders, 2 of which got us into the play offs last season.
    Not saying you personally but those are the two same defenders that most people dread seeing in the team. People were booing and shouting "don't do it" at the sight of Duffy being ready to come on even before they realised it was Dennis coming off. You can't say they're awful when they're playing (like they were at the start of the season) and then making them out to be great players when they're not in the team.

Duffy and Hall have also both been out injured for the whole of Kewell's time here (other than last night for Duffy). The bigger issue is the amount of lightweight central midfielders Nolan left us with.

Patching
    Crawford
    Husin
    Vaughan
    Kellett

On top of the two that start in Milsom and Hewitt! You can't tell me Patching, Crawford, Kellett and Vaughan combined are on less money than Michael O'Connor wanted surely? Milsom, O'Connor, Hewitt and Husin competing for two positions would have been fine with maybe a loan player as cover too.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    True but they are clearly wrong here !
    Well and truly. Still can't believe we are that bad though. The worst thing is that Kewell has added to the squad but it's still unbalanced.

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    But he did turn things around, as I've said in another thread our form over the last 10 games has us 13th with a run of 5 unbeaten (DDWWW) followed by a run of 3 losses and two draws. When you also take into account that we lost against MK Dons despite playing very well thanks to the referee and the fact that we dominated Swindon till Tootle got injured things could look very differently. Even ignoring those two "what ifs" we don't have a divine right to win every game but if we maintain mid table form we'll be fine, the only achievement we have to hope for this season is staying up which will not require us to be in great form from now until the end of the season.
    You're right, before the international break, there were positive signs, you would expect that with 2 solid weeks to work with the squad things could only get better, but they have gone massively down hill.

He's abandoned the formation that was working and now every match his tactics and line-ups are just bizarre and his substitutions are laughable. It really is worrying.

Not saying you personally but those are the two same defenders that most people dread seeing in the team. People were booing and shouting "don't do it" at the sight of Duffy being ready to come on even before they realised it was Dennis coming off. You can't say they're awful when they're playing (like they were at the start of the season) and then making them out to be great players when they're not in the team.

Duffy and Hall have also both been out injured for the whole of Kewell's time here (other than last night for Duffy). The bigger issue is the amount of lightweight central midfielders Nolan left us with.

Patching
    Crawford
    Husin
    Vaughan
    Kellett

On top of the two that start in Milsom and Hewitt! You can't tell me Patching, Crawford, Kellett and Vaughan combined are on less money than Michael O'Connor wanted surely? Milsom, O'Connor, Hewitt and Husin competing for two positions would have been fine with maybe a loan player as cover too.
    Our fans might not like Duffy but he was still one half of a central defensive partnership that got us into the play offs.
    Kewell has brought in 3 new defenders and we are still conceding nearly as many goals. Last night would have been horrific if Fitz hadn't found some form again.

I agree the central midfield isn't strong enough, so why didn't Kewell bring in anyone to address that? Why don't you base your tactics or formation around it.

He must have played at least 5 different formations so far and seems to have no clue as to who his best players are.

Husin was in favour early on but is no nowhere to see, Brisley was dropped but now keeps popping up in central midfield.
    You can't tell me that Brisley is a better option in central midfield that Patching or Crawford?

You can't tell me that Brisley is a better option in central midfield that Patching or Crawford?
    Considering every time a ball came into our box Oldham had a free header I don't think weakening our aerial options would have helped us greatly. He tried bringing a ball playing midfielder on last time in a tight game that we were winning (Vaughan against Swindon) and it completely killed us and gifted them a win in a game we should have won easily. This one we were hanging on for dear life at 0-0 and in the grand scheme of things 0-0 isn't pretty, especially at home, but 1 point is better than none.

Considering every time a ball came into our box Oldham had a free header I don't think weakening our aerial options would have helped us greatly. He tried bringing a ball playing midfielder on last time in a tight game that we were winning (Vaughan against Swindon) and it completely killed us and gifted them a win in a game we should have won easily. This one we were hanging on for dear life at 0-0 and in the grand scheme of things 0-0 isn't pretty, especially at home, but 1 point is better than none.
    We were actually slightly better when Dennis went off and Brisley moved into midfield, but only in the sense that we were awful instead of really awful. We still carried minimal attacking threat, but Oldham didn't walk through us quite so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    He was last night was sat at side of Warren Feeney all game
    With a Fire Extinguisher to hand on the plus side though.

Should stuck with Nolan

What are people expecting Paul Hart to do? He's here to oversee the academy and presumably assist in the transfer market (and the window is closed currently).

Kewell is working with an awfully put together squad thanks to Nolan and I can't see it getting much better until January, we'll pick up points here and there and lose games here and there, do people really expect us to go on a fantastic run of form and fly up the table just because we changed manager?
    The fact is Nolan was, and will always be streets ahead of HK

Nolan only 4 losses at home in 18 months, Hk is close to that already - so go and figure

We did run up the table immediately when Nolan took over

If anything Nolan was a victim of his own success , because he started of so well , people expected it to continue

The only way HK could be better than Nolan is to get Notts into League 1, but then Nolan would have done that if he and Notts had not been swindled out of it by the officials in the Coventry game, So he still would not be better

The fact is The chairman should of never have sacked Nolan till January - end off. I know it was after 5 games, but chairman said he was considering it after 3 games- disgraceful for which he will now pay, and he could pay heavily with HK in charge

So in one sense chairman is now reaping what he sowed

HK is useless -there has been no improvement from him, He told us he sort it out in 2 months ( His words)

All Hk has got to do is be better than 2 clubs, maybe just 1 club as it appears macclesfield are certs for the drop

Amongst all the hysteria calling for Kewell to be sacked, I have not seen anyone suggest what else he could do. Without Stead and Hemmings there were no credible attacking options. We know how fragile the midfield is, so it was, on paper at least, sensible to play Thomas and Baldwjn as wide midfielders. The problem was that Milsom had an appalling game, Hewitt ran around like a headless chicken, and moving Turley to right back, with Brisley in the centre of defence, left things wide open.

But what else was there he could do? Nolan has bequeathed such an imbalanced squad, that cannot withstand any injuries or suspensions. Kewell clearly has nous, as was demonstrated by bringing Duffy on. It stemmed the flow towards the defence and gave some steel. What was probably not evident on tv was that Duffy acted like a captain and communicated and organised the defence.

Whether or not Dennis should have been kept on is debatable. He did absolutely nothing, but got no service. Something had to give and I think Kewell got the substitution absolutely spot on. Notts could have gone on to win as the Oldham threat was nullified. I expect Duffy to be a first choice and to be captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    The fact is Nolan was, and will always be streets ahead of HK

Nolan only 4 losses at home in 18 months, Hk is close to that already - so go and figure

We did run up the table immediately when Nolan took over

If anything Nolan was a victim of his own success , because he started of so well , people expected it to continue

The only way HK could be better than Nolan is to get Notts into League 1, but then Nolan would have done that if he and Notts had not been swindled out of it by the officials in the Coventry game, So he still would not be better

The fact is The chairman should of never have sacked Nolan till January - end off. I know it was after 5 games, but chairman said he was considering it after 3 games- disgraceful for which he will now pay, and he could pay heavily with HK in charge

So in one sense chairman is now reaping what he sowed

HK is useless -there has been no improvement from him, He told us he sort it out in 2 months ( His words)

All Hk has got to do is be better than 2 clubs, maybe just 1 club as it appears macclesfield are certs for the drop
    ... end off(?) and then you keep writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    He was last night was sat at side of Warren Feeney all game
    So why indeed is the Director of Football sat on the bench and the GK Coach sat in the stands? Hart is the vulture waiting for Kewell to be axed. Not long now I guess. Saturday is now a huge game for the club.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast