Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: ot Trump trumped...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,403

    ot Trump trumped...

    ... decent result for democrats which should help reel in some of his more ludicrous policies. And the chance of impeachment has improved as well. I know he still has a lot of power but things are moving in a better direction.

    The yanks are finally waking up and smelling the coffee...

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46120373

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    ... decent result for democrats which should help reel in some of his more ludicrous policies. And the chance of impeachment has improved as well. I know he still has a lot of power but things are moving in a better direction.

    The yanks are finally waking up and smelling the coffee...

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46120373
    more chance of a civil war

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,186
    This just means nothing will get done, not good for the economy or people's jobs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    11,850
    Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    This just means nothing will get done, not good for the economy or people's jobs.
    Elections themselves are good for the economy over here. Expenditure on them must exceed the GDP of most nations.

    Just here in Washington state two ballot initiatives saw spending close to $100M between them. One was for a clean energy tax and one to allow cities to impose a sugary drinks tax. Both failed and surprisingly the backers of the No vote include the likes of Shell, BP, Exon, Pepsi, Coke, Dr Pepper etc.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,186
    When you've got deadlock in congress nothing happens though does it, budgets can't get passed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,403
    Better not if its a crap budget...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,186
    Done a lot better with the economy than Obama did though hasn't he?

    American people won't be happy if the Democrats in Congress threaten their prosperity.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,403
    He won't have done much good for those who have been affected by his cuts.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,740
    Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    He won't have done much good for those who have been affected by his cuts.
    Yes, he's a typical "rob from the poor, give to the rich" type politician. He's actually claiming a personal victory from the recent elections, on the basis that the Republicans still have a majority of seats in the Senate, conveniently ignoring the Democrats now have a majority in the House of Representatives! Maybe he's just to stupid to understand it all...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,119
    Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Done a lot better with the economy than Obama did though hasn't he?

    American people won't be happy if the Democrats in Congress threaten their prosperity.
    Even if that prosperity was true, then the American people might be deciding that a divided nation, with awful divisive rhetoric, blame and fear being the basis of political discussion for the last 2 years, hate and violence against people who share their communities, might be too high a price to pay for this 'prosperity'?

    An avenue explored but not wanted. Would agree that the original path wasn't working, hence trying this one. Maybe try another?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Done a lot better with the economy than Obama did though hasn't he?

    American people won't be happy if the Democrats in Congress threaten their prosperity.
    No he hasnt (done better than Obama). The potential is long term damage to the economy through trade wars with China and pulling out of international trade agreements. US are losing major influence in Asia and South Asia (which will be the new economic powerhouses) and emerging economies in Africa, India and Pakistan (US always led the way in new territories).

    Trump is signally in the start of the end of the end US world economic dominance. I think all he will achieve is to bring low cost jobs back to the US.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,186
    Even the people who don't like him admit he's done well with the economy.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,335
    We voted for the first time. What a surreal experience it was. About 50 different amendments to vote on, like banning dog racing (which was passed) local taxes etc and a list as long as your arm of local representatives.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,783
    Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    We voted for the first time. What a surreal experience it was. About 50 different amendments to vote on, like banning dog racing (which was passed) local taxes etc and a list as long as your arm of local representatives.
    Fully paid up and integrated now y'all Sota?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,783
    Just watched Trump's presser and his rant aganst the CNN reporter, he's a very dangerous man in the most influential job in the world, worrying times....

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,338
    Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    Just watched Trump's presser and his rant aganst the CNN reporter, he's a very dangerous man in the most influential job in the world, worrying times....
    All politicians are dangerous people in influential jobs.
    Itís the most corrupt profession in the world I canít understand how people would vote for someone whoís job it is to lie to get into power and then when they donít deliver lie some more to keep getting the votes and people go out and vote for them again.

    You couldnít make it up could you?
    Can anyone name an honest politician?

    I donít vote and wonít vote for any of our political liars same rubbish dressed up in a different manifesto.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Pocket rocket View Post
    All politicians are dangerous people in influential jobs.
    Itís the most corrupt profession in the world I canít understand how people would vote for someone whoís job it is to lie to get into power and then when they donít deliver lie some more to keep getting the votes and people go out and vote for them again.

    You couldnít make it up could you?
    Can anyone name an honest politician?

    I donít vote and wonít vote for any of our political liars same rubbish dressed up in a different manifesto.
    The nearest I've seen to an honest politician is John Mann at Bassetlaw.
    The trouble is that people in his own party dislike his honesty to such an extent that they have issued threats against him and his wife.
    Guess that kind of makes your point Pocket.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,186
    A fair number of them were lawyers before they were politicians as well so they've been lying all their professional lies.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,403
    ...and Kerr's your buddy as well!...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,186
    Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    ...and Kerr's your buddy as well!...
    Er, since when?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •