+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memoirs of.. Blackburn Rovers

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Gwyther made his Millers league debut v Shrewsbury at Millmoor on 21st Feb... 1976!
    We lost 0-1. The memory can play tricks...
    We drew with Blackburn 1-1 at Millmoor (old Div 3) on 23/12/72 - Trev Womble was centre forward, but Ray Mielczarek scored the Millers goal
    You must be right Mike, the memory is playing tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    You must be right Mike, the memory is playing tricks.
    Managed to find more information from the ITV football 1970s website. The televised game really was the Millers 2 Blackburn 1 game of 16/10/71, with Carl Gilbert scoring twice. Unfortunately, I haven't found any Youtube clips of the match . Preben ("Ben") Arentoft , the Danish international midfielder, scored Blackburn's goal.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 08-11-2018 at 06:37 PM.

I watched most Millers games in the 70’s but honestly cannot remember that game. I remember us being on TV about a year before that when we beat Torquay 1-0 at Millmoor with a Graham Leggett goal.

I also remember a year after the Blackburn game you referred to, we played Rovers at Millmoor just before Christmas and we were winning 1-0 well into injury time and the ref gave them a dodgy penalty at the Railway end which Tony Field (later to play for Sheffield United) scored to get them a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post

I also remember a year after the Blackburn game you referred to, we played Rovers at Millmoor just before Christmas and we were winning 1-0 well into injury time and the ref gave them a dodgy penalty at the Railway end which Tony Field (later to play for Sheffield United) scored to get them a point.
    Game of 23/12/72?

Match that PerigordMiller may be thinking of is probably another rare Millers appearance on Yorkshire ITV , which was well over 5 years later on 02/04/77... Millers 1 C.Palace 1.
    Gwyther played, and scored (Highlights on YouTube). Great goal!
    Last edited by mikemiller; 08-11-2018 at 08:15 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12