+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: O/T Barnsley Markets

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    This is what I said Roma never mentioned "interesting"
    Do you know what makes a forum YB
    It's people who start threads good or bad [matter of opinion] because without them there would be nothing to debate now would there?

As a matter of interest just how many threads have you initiated? [asked of YB]
    Can't remember any from KA because if it was left to him the board would be dead RIP
    I paraphrased your post to make it slightly more elegant. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that you don't seriously think that posting uninteresting posts is of value on a message board...

I know that you remember my Happy St George's Day thread, because you have made adverse comments upon it. I'm not that bothered about starting threads, however. I prefer to stimulate debate by providing alternative viewpoints and challenging fuzzy thinking. If everyone agreed on everything that was posted there would be little point in anyone posting. Some posters who can't handle different views to their own might find it more comfortable, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Admire thi Animal tha gave it a gu , an old family friend used to run White Rose Homebrew ont market fo abart 50 years, some days he took next to nowt , hardly worthwhile, but carried on he enjoyed the job/work meeting different people , the last increase in rents etc finished the business , sad that BMBC carnt see what damage they are doowin , a rethink is needed up int Tarn Hall , or the Town will be a Ghost town , with a large White Elephant ,
    Well that redundancy hit me hard , I'd had a good 15 years at Brook Motors in Huddesfield / Wakefield plus went through the 84/85 miners strike .

I had a few quid behind me so I thought feck this I'm going to give this working for myself a go and if I fall at least it's me that fails and not some numpty in a suit controlling my working life .

I was working unbelievably hard and long hours but when it's for your self it doesn't matter but you also have to be realistic at the same time .

Things came to a head when we had really poor weather for two weeks , cold , snow , rain , retailing and the weather have a massive impact , a really hot spell of weather is also detrimental .

The Thursday at Pen istone Market did it for me , it was normally a decent day up there because at that time the market was really all they had and the locals had a few bob and would spend .

It was horrible that day , really cold , rain that cut you to the bone , I took £4 all day , I kid you not .

I think I sold two T towels all day and some dish cloths .

I'd had a bad two weeks because of the weather and that tipped me over the edge .

Wake up animal , this isn't going to work , get out now whilst you still have a shirt on your back .

That was the last day I ever traded on a market .

Richard Branson and James Dyson could no doubt sleep more easily and my dreams of an empire were over .

I got a proper job the week after , more money and half the hours .

Hard game mate in my experience and I wish the traders on the new market all the luck in the world .

They'll need it by the looks of it .
    Last edited by animallittle3; 14-11-2018 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    It's straight opposite boots Ponte just through entrance
    Cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Admire thi Animal tha gave it a gu , an old family friend used to run White Rose Homebrew ont market fo abart 50 years, some days he took next to nowt , hardly worthwhile, but carried on he enjoyed the job/work meeting different people , the last increase in rents etc finished the business , sad that BMBC carnt see what damage they are doowin , a rethink is needed up int Tarn Hall , or the Town will be a Ghost town , with a large White Elephant ,
    Really nice bloke , I've had a go at home brewing and bought my tackle off him , didn't have a clue but he took time out to get me started with advice and recommendations .

The thing is with the new town centre , the big players in retail aren't interested in coming here , ain't enough brass about .

So the independent traders are going to be the only show in town , so why price them out , it's moronic .

That markets stood there since 1249 , it's historic and a massive part of the town's heritage .

The retail trading conditions here require common sense , if you are going to invest that amount of money in to these projects then surely it's a good idea to offer them a chance of prospering .

Empty retail businesses that close down and remain empty have a massive impact on those still in business and they eventually suffer too .

If the subject of rents aren't revisited the whole project will fail massively and take other businesses with it .

Here's a little story from my time trading on Barnsley Market .

A guy of arabic heritage approaches my stall .

" can you get such and such for me next week "

" certainly will try I'm due at my supplier on monday "

" I want good deal and pay what you buy from supplier and not penny more "

" certainly sir , no problem , that will be £280 sir "

" what you talking about "

" £250 minimum spend at my supplier and £30 in fuel "

" it's cash up front I'm afraid "

" do you think I'm idiot "

I didn't answer , bad for business .

Walks away grumbling in Arabic and then spits on the floor aggressively .

PMSL , quality .

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345