+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OMG is this true?

OMG is this true?

last night there was a Q&A session with Graham Jones, this is what was said,
    In terms of the back 3 and playing out from the back, as mentioned above this is something we are clearly sticking with as we think there will be a serious benefit in the long term. It’s worth noting though that there is clearly an acceptance that we are a fair way off where we’d like to be in terms of adapting to this and the make up of the side. Not sure that a back 3 made o of defenders is their ideal scenario, but the current shape is, or at least was, seen as the best way to get all of our ‘better’ players onto the pitch at once. Think the ideal is to either use a midfielder in there or even play a back 4 with a midfielder who sweeps in front and drops in to make a 3. He mentioned that’s a role Barry filled at Everton.

Was very complimentary towards Leeds. They pretty much play the way we want to but are probably a few steps further down the line with it. Highlighted Kalvin Phillips as a key man and his role as a midfielder sweeper who drops in when they lose the ball and steps into midfield when they win it. Clearly something we’d like to replicate eventually.

Said that after Derby he was particularly hard on Johnstone himself and said he expected more from him. They expect him to make better decisions when we have the ball, judge how the opposition press us and use that to pick his pass, even if it means going a little longer to beat a press. Been delighted with how he reacted to it.

Striking a balance between the volume of games and working on improvements is difficult. Championship has improved and poses far more challenges than it did a few years ago. We’ve faced 10 formations in 12 games but haven’t always had time to work at it. Difficult balance as they gave the players time of during last break and results slumped but they worked them hard last week and maybe overworked them as they put in a poor, flat showing at Hull. Hoping to get a lot sorted in the next break.

Question about goals conceded was unfair tbh, he was asked how many goals we conceded as a direct result of playing from the back. He said the only one was Rodriguez passing it to Marriott which is probably right tbf to him.

Was talking about the Wigan game and dropped in an interesting side point. Livermore played that day despite having not trained for 12 days as he had a hernia.

We are doomed Mr Mainwaring!

I did mention in another post who was actually dictating the style of play, I think you have your answer.

I can’t believe we have posters using “OMG”.

Have a word with yourself Bomber!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I can’t believe we have posters using “OMG”.

Have a word with yourself Bomber!
    Sorry, as a 60year old who doesn't do social media apart from this site, I didn't know what to put, omg came on the telly as I was writing this, not something I use every day, more like ffs.
    Last edited by Bombers right foot; 08-11-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)