+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: OT And today I went to Town Centre

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    I sincerely Apologise Animal for disrupting your sleep patterns
    Not much chance of you lot losing any sleep over your shenanigans that have caused misery to millions upon millions of people world wide is there .

Why would you when you can rely on the state to bail you out whilst you head to monaco to bank your bonus .

You'll not be so arrogant if Corbyn becomes PM sunshine , you are his Enemy Of The State .

One minute Corbyn is a cuddly moderate, the next minute he's going to sort out gm. Make your mind up.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Hey at least the trams are back, kind of.
    Do you think we could get the trolley buses back last i heard they were still running in Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    One minute Corbyn is a cuddly moderate, the next minute he's going to sort out gm. Make your mind up.
    Corbyn is a cuddly moderate. He just hates GM.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    No they haven't fire , the only building I recall getting demolished was the old c-o-o-p department store which burnt down two years ago under suspicious circumstances .
    Yes they did and replaced them with the concrete brutalist concrete building they are currently demolishing.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Corbyn is a cuddly moderate. He just hates GM.
    Nothing moderate about Corbin, but he does hate my guts I’ll give you that

Yes they did and replaced them with the concrete brutalist concrete building they are currently demolishing.
    So you are talking about the early 1970's when the town centre was redeveloped .

Yes your right the buildings were brutal but typical of the times , town planning and architecture wasn't exactly advanced in those days and many towns in the UK suffered as a consequence .

That said many of the old buildings on Eldon Street , Peel Square , Market Hill , Eldon Arcade and Wellington Street did survive and still stand proudly today .

You'll not find a better looking town hall anywhere in the country either .

The area around the market and cheapside was badly designed in the 70's so on that area I agree with you .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    So you are talking about the early 1970's when the town centre was redeveloped .

Yes your right the buildings were brutal but typical of the times , town planning and architecture wasn't exactly advanced in those days and many towns in the UK suffered as a consequence .

That said many of the old buildings on Eldon Street , Peel Square , Market Hill , Eldon Arcade and Wellington Street did survive and still stand proudly today .

You'll not find a better looking town hall anywhere in the country either .

The area around the market and cheapside was badly designed in the 70's so on that area I agree with you .
    Not just there though, the area near the old library was similar style, don't know if that's been/ being demolished as well.

And a lot of the other town centres you mention have the excuse of the old buildings being demolished by the Luftwaffe.

Not just there though, the area near the old library was similar style, don't know if that's been/ being demolished as well.

And a lot of the other town centres you mention have the excuse of the old buildings being demolished by the Luftwaffe.
    Nice college building stands on the site of the old library fire and it looks fantastic .

To be fair Animal, it's an identick design (the college building). Look up the new University Campus Rotherham, the similarities are startling. Its how modern buildings are done these days, I.e. off the peg. Its cheaper of course, and sadly cost is everything.

Anyhow, let's keep on topic and get back to Rotherham town centre. That's not a pop by the way, as you and I called a truce and I intend to stick by that, and I do believe you do too.

The architecture in Rotherham (minster, chapel on bridge, three cranes, george wright, All Saints square, etc, etc), and the framework of the town with its rivers, canal, weirside etc are absolutely first class. But, and its a massive but, there is now very little to entice people in. Forge Island absolutely has to succeed, otherwise it really could be game over.

Living, leisure and a small INDEPENDENT retail offer, along with a revamped market (btw the asian market is booming and should be encouraged further) is the way to go. Let Parkgate be Rotherham's main retail quarter.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast