+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP Jimmy Linton

RIP Jimmy Linton

Anybody remember him in goal for Notts ?
    Sadly passed away at 87 years of age.
    RIP Jimmy

Name:  Linton.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  17.4 KB

Jimmy Linton was our goalie in my first game in 1955 against Fulham. He was with Notts when Gordon Bradley’s career with the Magpies was coming to an end and George Smith’s was starting. He made 120 appearances for Notts before moving to Watford.

R I P Jimmy Many thanks for your saves.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Name:  Linton.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  17.4 KB

Jimmy Linton was our goalie in my first game in 1955 against Fulham. He was with Notts when Gordon Bradley’s career with the Magpies was coming to an end and George Smith’s was starting. He made 120 appearances for Notts before moving to Watford.
    I'm sure I saw him play but I didn't start to go regularly until the following season when George was our goalie. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I'm sure I saw him play but I didn't start to go regularly until the following season when George was our goalie. RIP.
    I witnessed the Nat Lofthouse goal that put us out of the cup when most thought it was Jimmy's cap and not the ball had crossed the line when 'shouldered' by Nat. I can't remember the ground but I think it was Hillsborough in an FA cup 2nd replay in the early 50's.
    I'll always remember a wag on the train coming home who remarked that after the 'goal' Nat turned to the ref and said " well done ref ...you may now call me Nat!" Not true of course but these small things stick in the mind.

Many years later I went to a Q & A evening organised by Terry Butler an old team mate of mine at Bestwood Colliery, where Nat was the guest speaker. When asked if it was the ball or the cap had crossed the line, Nat replied "You'd better ask my pal the ref". Jimmy was a good keeper and sad to see another old 'Pie leave us.

I remember him too great goalie RIP Jimmy.
    I can also remember Gordon Bradley who I swear was in mid-air going to his left and swung around mid-air to make the save to to his right best save I have ever seen. I was in the kids pen on the kop the other end from him though.
    Also, George Smith what a character he was.

Made his debut at Huddersfield and got a standing ovation from both home and away supporters.
    Not sure of year but a great keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockpie64 View Post
    Made his debut at Huddersfield and got a standing ovation from both home and away supporters.
    Not sure of year but a great keeper.
    Spot on Rockpie, Jimmy made his debut 66 years ago yesterday, on 8th November 1952.

The Yorkshire Post report of the game said: “The jack-in-a-box antics of 20-year-old Jimmy Linton, who spent an afternoon of his National Service leave from Catterick Camp to make his debut in goal for Notts County, nearly came between Huddersfield Town and their fifth successive victory. Spring-heeled Jimmy flagrantly stole the game with his display of courage, agility and anticipation, and it was fitting that at the end players and spectators alike should applaud him for his exhilarating exhibition.”

Jimmy’s previous club, Dumbartonshire’s Rob Roy Juniors described him as “The best goalkeeper Notts County ever got at the price.” He cost the Magpies £10.

Quote Originally Posted by since41 View Post
    I remember him too great goalie RIP Jimmy.
    I can also remember Gordon Bradley who I swear was in mid-air going to his left and swung around mid-air to make the save to to his right best save I have ever seen. I was in the kids pen on the kop the other end from him though.
    Also, George Smith what a character he was.
    Ah Gordon Bradley, what a lovely gent when I was a kid he was my next door neighbour in W.B. used to spend hours with the lads on Bridgford Park during school holidays when the jumpers were down for the goal posts, was also a good tennis player I have played with him when the park had tennis courts great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    Ah Gordon Bradley, what a lovely gent when I was a kid he was my next door neighbour in W.B. used to spend hours with the lads on Bridgford Park during school holidays when the jumpers were down for the goal posts, was also a good tennis player I have played with him when the park had tennis courts great memories.
    Yes I remember him being a very good tennis player too.
    Notts have had some great goalies over the years.