+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beggars

Beggars

Went to Brum Tuesday night for a gig, Michael Schenker at the O2 institute. Anyway got off the train at New street and decided to walk to Digbeth via new Street which was a nightmare. The amount of homeless people sitting round in the city is unbelievable. These people just sit there, if you chose to give them money then so be it. What i do have an issue with is the ones who come up to you and ask. Three times i was harassed by the same person. Twice before the gig and once four hours later after the gig.
    The third time got a bit heated. I told him to do one which he took exception to. He didn't like the fact i pointed out that he was cleaner shaven than me and if he was homeless then so was the Queen. Seems to me some people are making a career out of begging. These people are indiscriminate who they harass. Thankfully i was with my wife but if she was on her own she would have felt distressed and understandably so. All this took place in front of security guards who like the police turn a blind eye as it has become the norm. Spoiled an otherwise good night. Schenker was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Whicka_Mon View Post
    Went to Brum Tuesday night for a gig, Michael Schenker at the O2 institute. Anyway got off the train at New street and decided to walk to Digbeth via new Street which was a nightmare. The amount of homeless people sitting round in the city is unbelievable. These people just sit there, if you chose to give them money then so be it. What i do have an issue with is the ones who come up to you and ask. Three times i was harassed by the same person. Twice before the gig and once four hours later after the gig.
    The third time got a bit heated. I told him to do one which he took exception to. He didn't like the fact i pointed out that he was cleaner shaven than me and if he was homeless then so was the Queen. Seems to me some people are making a career out of begging. These people are indiscriminate who they harass. Thankfully i was with my wife but if she was on her own she would have felt distressed and understandably so. All this took place in front of security guards who like the police turn a blind eye as it has become the norm. Spoiled an otherwise good night. Schenker was fantastic.

Could not agree more with you! They are blighting nice town centres which are already struggling. I usually give some money to those selling something like the Big Issue as at least they are trying to do something!

Sign of the times unfortunately................

I was in Harborne the other day and one beggar was on a single mattress complete with bedsheets and a duvet next to a cashpoint, fast asleep. Two community hobby cops turned a blind eye as they walked straight past him. I spotted 2 others sitting nearby in strategic places with outstretched coffee cups. They all want ya money, I already had to run the gauntlet from a mob of university students begging me to change my electric supplier and another group wanting me to sign up to some dogs home or other. Ya cant seem to have a peaceful stroll down the High street these days without someone trying to mug you off. Even had to endure a busker blowing his bagpipes in Dudley yesterday it was a bloody disgraceful racket and he expected me to hand him some some money, I should coco.

Isn't it ironic how under this government homelessness has increased by 134% from 2010 to 2017.

The number of homeless families have risen by 48%. This is in a 2017 report by the National Audit Office.

That's the Tories for ya...

It is indeed difficult to distinguish between those genuinely ‘forced’ to live rough and others.
    During my working life, I had a chap who worked for me and was a keen member of the Salvation Army. He was concerned over the homeless and spent many of his non-working hours assisting wherever he could. A great guy.
    He would never give money, but often return to those begging with a sandwich or similar. I think, given his experience, he was able to make the distinction I found difficult.
    Unfortunately there are those who need our help, but sadly others seeking to capitalise.
    Harrassment in any form is of course inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Isn't it ironic how under this government homelessness has increased by 134% from 2010 to 2017.

The number of homeless families have risen by 48%. This is in a 2017 report by the National Audit Office.

If Jeremy Corbyn was on the high street he would be mistaken for a tramp! Then again, if he was around Edgbaston the students would be pleased as he said he would abolish all uni fees He forgot though to say how the public purse would pay for it!

Did you see Diane Abbott on question time - she can hardly get two words out, but then again this comes from sitting on Mr Corbyns face

I may be wrong, but I think you said one of your homes is in Birmingham City centre so you'll know it is quite bad there at present.

I have lived in the city centre for 9 years and it is much worse now than ever before.

A lot of the homeless ex soldiers who don't get the help they need for the traumas they have been through. Governments are quick to send them to war, and slow to help them in the aftermath.

The torys are a bunch of self serving scumbags and for some reason they have a lot of their annual conferences at the icc.

This costs millions in security costs and makes the place look like it is under siege with drones flying around the sky looking at rooftops etc, etc.

Millions the local council cannot afford and could go on helping the homeless.

It is heartbreaking to people sleeping in doorways as you walk and to be honest it makes me feel guilty for the comfortable life I have.

A lot have drink and dink problems and that is why I never give them cash, but I do sometimes buy them a sandwich if I am getting one for myself.

There are some professional beggars though, but you can usually tell from their footwear.

If they are wearing £150 trainers like I have seen in the past, they are not legit.

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieBlood View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think you said one of your homes is in Birmingham City centre so you'll know it is quite bad there at present.

I have lived in the city centre for 9 years and it is much worse now than ever before.

A lot of the homeless ex soldiers who don't get the help they need for the traumas they have been through. Governments are quick to send them to war, and slow to help them in the aftermath.

The torys are a bunch of self serving scumbags and for some reason they have a lot of their annual conferences at the icc.

This costs millions in security costs and makes the place look like it is under siege with drones flying around the sky looking at rooftops etc, etc.

Millions the local council cannot afford and could go on helping the homeless.

It is heartbreaking to people sleeping in doorways as you walk and to be honest it makes me feel guilty for the comfortable life I have.

A lot have drink and dink problems and that is why I never give them cash, but I do sometimes buy them a sandwich if I am getting one for myself.

There are some professional beggars though, but you can usually tell from their footwear.

If they are wearing £150 trainers like I have seen in the past, they are not legit.
    Yep, I split my time between London and Birmingham and I've never seen more homeless on the streets in both cities. It really is heartbreaking and I do give them some cash. Some people will fall on hard times, but the government creates the conditions for this problem to exasperate.

There probably are some scammer beggars, but I think they are few and far between. I mean, who actually wants to beg...some of these people literally have nothing, and I mean nothing.

And can't argue with you there, the majority of our politicians are self serving scumbags. And the Tories are the worst of them.

Yep, I split my time between London and Birmingham and I've never seen more homeless on the streets in both cities. It really is heartbreaking and I do give them some cash. Some people will fall on hard times, but the government creates the conditions for this problem to exasperate.

There probably are some scammer beggars, but I think they are few and far between. I mean, who actually wants to beg...some of these people literally have nothing, and I mean nothing.

And can't argue with you there, the majority of our politicians are self serving scumbags. And the Tories are the worst of them.

Don't think the Tories are any worse! Did Labour not have an open door policy and was the good Mrs Blair not defending all the illegals to help fill her own back pockets! Many on the streets are foreign beggars so why do we let them in? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against anybody who can support themselves and pays tax - if not throw them out if illegal!

Charity does start at home and makes me sick that councils won't help the elderly with stair lifts/lifts to hospitals for appointments but then house illegals!

As our Jeremy said he could fund all these university fees, perhaps he can find the cash to take all the beggars off the street - and buy himself a suit too, and a blow up doll which would be better than Diane Abbott!

Perhaps the government could do more if it didn’t waste millions on aircraft carriers. Spend it on creating wealth, not sailing the seven seas.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)