+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to deal with awkward journalists

From a Lib Dem perspective, I would say that there is only one thing worse than being talked about - and that is not being talked about.

Even though we have some great ideas, the newspapers don't report any of them.

We get precious little coverage on BBC, we are hardly ever on Question Time etc - there is usually a comedian on instead.

And yes, I know that due to our small number of MP's we don't warrant the coverage, but many of ideas don't get mentioned at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I'm curious though BT, when Trump attacks the media because he doesn't like what they say about him, you claim he's acting like Adolf Hitler. So how would you describe Corbyn when he attacks the media because he doesn't like what they say about him ? Is he acting like Adolf Hitler as well ? And if not, why not ?

I often find I'm having to use the words lefty, Labour Party and hypocrisy, in the same sentence, surely I'm not going to have to do it again ?
    However much you dislike Corbyn, he would never falsely accuse a reporter of committing common assault on one of his staff just to keep the "rude and arrogant" journalist out of the loop.

Correct me if I'm wrong BT, but weren't/aren't Labour in favour of the Leveson proposals, which is nothing more than an attempt by rich and powerful people to muzzle the press. I think Labour are very much in favour of the government regulating the press, also something which Hitler was very keen on, as are all totalitarian states and dictatorships.

I think it was sometime around last February that Corbyn warned our free press that "change is coming". I wonder what he meant by that ? Sounds like something else out of the Trump playbook, in fact the more you read about Corbyn/Trump and the media, the more you realise they're both on the same page, singing from the same hymn sheet, so to speak.

I seem to recall in Corbyn's speech at the Labour Party conference this year, he made a honest attempt to show that he cares about the importance of a free press around the world.

From the rostrum he said, “We must, and we will, protect the freedom of the press to challenge unaccountable power”.

It's pretty much an open secret that he detests the global media behemoth belonging to Rupert Murdoch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

It's pretty much an open secret that he detests the global media behemoth belonging to Rupert Murdoch.
    Exactly BT, if the press are on his side he's all for them being free and un-regulated, if they oppose him, he wants to close them down, just like Hitler and Trump. The Three Horsemen of the Press Apocalypse.

Jeremy should take a leaf out of Theresa'a book, she never critices our free press, I doubt she even reads the papers, in fact I'm not convinced she can even read.

He should do what I do, read the Guardian, the Times and the Independent, the rest of the rags produce drivel and are really best just ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    He should do what I do, read the Guardian, the Times and the Independent, the rest of the rags produce drivel and are really best just ignored.
    Fair enough BT, the quotes on Post 8 pointing out that Corbyn is attacking the press in the same way Trump does, and for the same reasons, are from The Grauniad and the Independent, two of your favourites newspapers. I can't be fairer than that can I ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    From a Lib Dem perspective, I would say that there is only one thing worse than being talked about - and that is not being talked about.

Even though we have some great ideas, the newspapers don't report any of them.

We get precious little coverage on BBC, we are hardly ever on Question Time etc - there is usually a comedian on instead.

And yes, I know that due to our small number of MP's we don't warrant the coverage, but many of ideas don't get mentioned at all.

Nope it's not fair 59/60, this shameful lack of coverage. But I'm not guilty, I keep a close eye on the activities of the Yellow Peril and I think, in the light of your heartfelt 'cri de couer', that I should share the latest LibDem story doing the rounds, just in case the mainstream media have, most unfairly, overlooked your party's activities yet again.

"Liberal Democrat peer Lord Lester is set for a record-breaking suspension from the House of Lords after Lords’ Privileges and Conduct Committee recommended that he be suspended for three and a half years until June 2022 for ***ual harassment and “corrupt inducement” to ***ual relations. It will be the longest Parliamentary suspension since the Second World War…
    Lester was forced to resign as a Lib Dem spokesman after allegations that he had demanded *** from a female campaigner in return for help to pass legislation. The investigation upheld the complaint “on the basis of the strong and cogent evidence of the complainant and her witnesses.” The fact that it happened 10 years ago was not used as an excuse not to pursue the investigation…"

The bloke should have the book thrown at him if that happened BT. Don't expect me to stand up for him. The Lib Dems chucked him out of the party when this surfaced.

I suppose that, working on the assumption that any publicity is better than no publicity, I should welcome this news. But I don't.

I think the public should be informed when we come out with new policies otherwise they will not be aware of what we offer. Not many check up on party manifestos to find out. Labour, the Tories and the SNP get all their stuff published but not many really know what the Lib Dem policies actually are...apart from Brexit.

Instead, we are constantly reminded of the tuition fee thing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46178207

Being serious 59/60, I follow politics fairly closely and I have no idea what the Libdems are for, as far as I can tell they're a wet version of the Labour Party, but maybe that's wrong. More worrying for Libdems is that besides not knowing just why they exist, I don't care either. When I say they are an irrelevance, I'm not trying to wind you up, to me they are irrelevant. If you believe in the Nanny State and the money tree vote Labour, if you believe in the free market economy and being allowed to keep more of your own money, then you might have voted Conservative once of a day, who you vote for now God knows. But I have no idea why anyone would vote LibDem.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)