+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to deal with awkward journalists

How to deal with awkward journalists

1. The Saudi Way. Lure them to your Consulate in a NATO country, then strangle them, dismember the body and dissolve the remains in an acid bath.
    2. The American Way. Put up a doctored video showing them assaulting a female intern, then revoke their press pass to the White House. Emphasise that anything they say is fake news and that they are the enemy of the people.
    3. The British Way. Make them watch all the shopping channels and every episode of Bargain Hunt and then compel them to write exclusively on these subjects and nothing else until they become totally doolally.

I reckon I would opt for the American way if I was a journalist Outwood!

To maintain a democratic society it is essential we allow journalists to have freedom of speech. Hitler hung journalists and closed down printing presses, Trump is fast going the same way.

Saudi Arabia is medieval, undemocratic monarchy led autocracy, freedom of the press is a total misnomer.

At least here in Britain you can read left or right wing opinions in our newsfeeds and newspapers. If only we could get the Labour Party elected, our world would be a much prettier place!

".......Saudi Arabia is medieval, undemocratic monarchy led autocracy, freedom of the press is a total misnomer........."

BT --I thought that you were referring to Trump's America when I read some bits of this!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    To maintain a democratic society it is essential we allow journalists to have freedom of speech. Hitler hung journalists and closed down printing presses, Trump is fast going the same way.

Saudi Arabia is medieval, undemocratic monarchy led autocracy, freedom of the press is a total misnomer.

At least here in Britain you can read left or right wing opinions in our newsfeeds and newspapers. If only we could get the Labour Party elected, our world would be a much prettier place!
    If you think Britain has a free press BT then you are way off the mark.The sheep are spoon fed exactly what the MSM want you to read and it is 90% propaganda especially regarding Russia and the Middle East:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjTDrX5QVHw

Enlightenment BT, enlightenment:
    How can you have a free press ? Everybody is out to make money. Who cares what's written, as long as it creates a reaction,or sensational, and sells or boosts some ideology? Gone are the days of our forefathers with some sense of morality or principle in their life style! By the way there is no mechanism to controll this lack of morality ,in the press,in Governments etc etc. Plus we will see it spiral out of control more and more. As an example I give this site from 'Electronic Intifada '. It reads under the photo.''An Israeli soldier looms over Palestinian farmers as they are forced to destroy their produce due to Karni closing, February 2006. (Wasem Saleh/MaanImages). But most of the world would believe what is writen- thats no Israeli soldier ,that's a Hamas militant.

https://electronicintifada.net/conte...a-economy/6444

Quote Originally Posted by Balanbam00 View Post
    Enlightenment BT, enlightenment:
    How can you have a free press ? Everybody is out to make money. Who cares what's written, as long as it creates a reaction,or sensational, and sells or boosts some ideology? Gone are the days of our forefathers with some sense of morality or principle in their life style! By the way there is no mechanism to controll this lack of morality ,in the press,in Governments etc etc. Plus we will see it spiral out of control more and more. As an example I give this site from 'Electronic Intifada '. It reads under the photo.''An Israeli soldier looms over Palestinian farmers as they are forced to destroy their produce due to Karni closing, February 2006. (Wasem Saleh/MaanImages). But most of the world would believe what is writen- thats no Israeli soldier ,that's a Hamas militant.

https://electronicintifada.net/conte...a-economy/6444
    Hi Balan. Private Eye had their own dig at shoddy journalism with nefarious reporter Lunchtime O’Booze but I am also reminded of Marie Colvin who gave her own life reporting from the front line in Syria.

You must have viewed this headline from the left-leaning Independent on August 23rd with some alarm then BT. No ?

"Corbyn is following the Donald Trump playbook on persecuting the media."
    The Labour leader knows his opponents in the press are not going to disappear. Better to write off the 'mainstream media' as untrustworthy and biased.

Or this headline from the lefty bible, the Guardian on September 27th.

"'Propaganda of privilege': how Labour went to war with the media."
    Corbyn’s attack on the press in his conference speech follows debate about how a Labour government would tax tech firms.

And what about this from the same Grauniad piece BT ?

The Labour leader also showed his attitude to the media by simply skipping much of the press round, which usually accompanied a party conference speech, such as a traditional interview on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. Newspaper reporters learned the hard way about how they were now perceived by the party – their desks at the conference were situated outside the main building, in a tent in a car park accessed by following signs for a “dog exercise area”.

So Corbyn wouldn't talk to the media and the press were put in a dog exercise area. Straight out of the Trump playbook indeed, wouldn't you say BT ?
    And you will notice of course, all the above is from the respected left-wing media outlets, the Grauniad and the Indy, not the right-wing gutter press, so it must be factual. No?
    Last edited by sinkov; 10-11-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Trump would not even pay homage to the 2000 marines who died in one day in 1918 because he feared his hair would get wet. He confuses the Baltic region with the Balkans. He really needs to read and get out a lot more!

Forget what Corbyn or Trump think about the media, we must allow journalists the freedom to express their opinions and ask the "awkward" questions.

Trump would not even pay homage to the 2000 marines who died in one day in 1918 because he feared his hair would get wet. He confuses the Baltic region with the Balkans. He really needs to read and get out a lot more!

Forget what Corbyn or Trump think about the media, we must allow journalists the freedom to express their opinions and ask the "awkward" questions.
    I'm curious though BT, when Trump attacks the media because he doesn't like what they say about him, you claim he's acting like Adolf Hitler. So how would you describe Corbyn when he attacks the media because he doesn't like what they say about him ? Is he acting like Adolf Hitler as well ? And if not, why not ?

I often find I'm having to use the words lefty, Labour Party and hypocrisy, in the same sentence, surely I'm not going to have to do it again ?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)