+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with awkward journalists

Ah! Tipping gee-gees. NOW you are talking!

That is a subject that I have a proven track record in. Ask BT - he got himself an extra pint recently at Hatdock because of my brilliance.

And I have already given you the winner of next years Grand National (if it manages to get across the hard border)

Thing about "experts" is that you can always quote one that matches your views.

But they are the best indicators that we have, and the majority agree that a hard Brexit is not a good idea.

Nigel Farage, Boris etc have a different view.

But if I had to bet my hard earned on the outcome then I know who I would be listening to most.

I remember when it was claimed if we did not enter the Eurozone and scrap the British Pound Sterling we would all go to hell in a handcart. I'm still waiting.

"But they are the best indicators that we have,"

They are not good indicators at all 59/60, please read post 90 for the evidence, they have no more idea than me or you. And I haven't even mentioned the OBR quarterly forecasts for our GDP. Every single forecast is proved wrong, often within weeks, and if they can't predict our economy on a short term basis in a relatively stable situation with any accuracy, then any Brexit prediction is pure Ministry of Guesswork territory, and cannot be taken seriously.

They are a good propaganda tool though I'll give you that, the gullible and those trusting souls not that interested in politics, will often fall for the 'official' figures.

Just an observation on this Brexit farce. I can distinctly remember two years or so back Remain MPs getting into panic mode about the prospect of a 'Hard Tory Brexit', (whatever happened to that ?) and demanding that the government gave parliament a vote on the proposed deal. They also insisted that they weren't trying to stop Brexit, they would honour and abide by the referendum result, they just wanted a vote before the deal was concluded, and well before the leaving date, so that there was time for any aspect of the deal they didn't like to be sent back to Brussels for re-negotiation.

So after the publication of the proposed deal last week I waited for the Remoaners to say what they objected to, and which parts of the deal they wanted sending back to Brussels for re-negotiation. And so I waited, and waited, and waited. Nothing, none of them mentioned re-negotiation, all they talked about was a 2nd referendum or staying in the EU. When re-negotiation was mentioned by some Brexiteers May told them that the deal was the final offer, it was take it or leave it. This was also confirmed by the EU, the deal they were offering was as good as it gets, and they weren't open to re-negotiate any part of it.

So all that insistence on a meaningful vote, to discuss and amend the deal, was just more Remoaner lies and duplicity, no interest in amending the proposed deal, in fact amendment or re-negotiation is simply not on the table, it was just another trick in their attempt to keep us in the EU, or even worse, accepting the May Dogs Dinner Deal.

There was one exception though, Jeremy Corbyn bless him, actually suggested sending the deal back and re-negotiating, he was almost instantly shot down in flames by May, who accused him of playing politics. FFS, if that **** May ever visits the Ribble Valley, I shall have a large supply of eggs, for the throwing of, ready and waiting.
    Last edited by sinkov; 21-11-2018 at 01:11 AM.

I'm having that one Alto!

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Just an observation on this Brexit farce. I can distinctly remember two years or so back Remain MPs getting into panic mode about the prospect of a 'Hard Tory Brexit', (whatever happened to that ?) and demanding that the government gave parliament a vote on the proposed deal. They also insisted that they weren't trying to stop Brexit, they would honour and abide by the referendum result, they just wanted a vote before the deal was concluded, and well before the leaving date, so that there was time for any aspect of the deal they didn't like to be sent back to Brussels for re-negotiation.

So after the publication of the proposed deal last week I waited for the Remoaners to say what they objected to, and which parts of the deal they wanted sending back to Brussels for re-negotiation. And so I waited, and waited, and waited. Nothing, none of them mentioned re-negotiation, all they talked about was a 2nd referendum or staying in the EU. When re-negotiation was mentioned by some Brexiteers May told them that the deal was the final offer, it was take it or leave it. This was also confirmed by the EU, the deal they were offering was as good as it gets, and they weren't open to re-negotiate any part of it.

So all that insistence on a meaningful vote, to discuss and amend the deal, was just more Remoaner lies and duplicity, no interest in amending the proposed deal, in fact amendment or re-negotiation is simply not on the table, it was just another trick in their attempt to keep us in the EU, or even worse, accepting the May Dogs Dinner Deal.

There was one exception though, Jeremy Corbyn bless him, actually suggested sending the deal back and re-negotiating, he was almost instantly shot down in flames by May, who accused him of playing politics. FFS, if that **** May ever visits the Ribble Valley, I shall have a large supply of eggs, for the throwing of, ready and waiting.
    Afternoon Sinkov.

Our trip to Haystacks has been delayed until tomorrow so I am clear to talk sh1te today.

In your bit above you said that some people wanted to re-negotiate the Brexit deal. Well, not us Lib Dems.

From the 2017 manifesto,

"At the end of negotiations, there will be a decision on the deal. The Conservatives want the decision to be taken by politicians. Liberal Democrats believe the British people should have the final say.
    That’s why, when the terms of our future relationship with the EU have been negotiated (over the next two years on the Government’s timetable), we will put that deal to a vote of the British people in a referendum, with the alternative option of staying in the EU on the ballot paper. We continue to believe that there is no deal as good for the UK outside the EU as the one it already has as a member.
    Every vote for the Liberal Democrats in this election is a vote to give the final say to the British people."

This is a clear vote on the deal - no re-negotiating. At the time we were the only people suggesting the second referendum - support has mushroomed since. You may be confusing our stance to Labours - who want to tear the deal up and start again.
    I realise that this is not what you want - fair enough, it is a democracy.

More here,

https://www.libdems.org.uk/manifesto

Yes, fair enough 59/60, the LibDems have always said they wanted a second referendum, not a renegotiation, although quite how this accords with their claim to 'acknowledge' the result of the first referendum I'm not sure, a bit of Boris style having cake and eating it seems to me. Nevertheless I take your point, you LibDema have always been open and above board with your treachery.

Just back on my point, as both our government and the EU say the deal is final and not negotiable, could someone explain then just why they are having a vote on it ? What is the point ?

Because, finally, we now the the details of the deal (or we can have if we wade through 585 pages of gobbledygook).

So now there can be no doubt what is on the table - lies and spin can be disproved.

So, especially as Parliament has reached an en passe, the people can be asked if they support the deal, or if it was what the voted for.

Some people will agree, some will disagree and some will have changed their minds (either way).

This is such a monumental decision that I think it essential that the people decide - especially as our politicians can't.

May shouldn't get to jump the first hurdle - with a vote of No Confidence - ending with her shoving off - if there isn't, and she survives -then she/it will use it as a boost for the deal - but the more go against it/her the better....as it'll make it easier for it not to pass come the Meaningful Vote on the final deal....just as it should, because as it is, they've been found out....as proved by this poxy deal, - as with Skeksis May on tv a few days ago giving it " the people got the Brexit they wanted on immigration "....how long have they been harping that old snake eyed incantation - that, the best they could offer after over 2 years of pathetic guffing....not then going to mention what the people truly wanted and voted for ???....the return economic control...the return of a Government that is directly responsible forit's own decisions and is alone answerable to the people that voted for it - not some over inflated idea run by unelected tossers who believe themselves infalible because they've surrounded / protected / hidden themselves behind weak, greedy pissant Governments/Politicians/Mp's who can't honestly give a sh!t for the rights of their own people.... .
    So there's the Con - the folk wanted the power to return home...they wanted their "Independence" and so the Cameron Cons jumped on it - took it for their own baby...but it was all a phooking illusion - probably from the beginning - just to exhaust the people, spread the fear and kill the Revolution....as being after the E.U - it was them we were going for next - just hope it still is !

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)