+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to deal with awkward journalists

On a serious note, Theresa May has absolutely no chance of getting her latest Brexit hogwash proposal through Parliament.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    On a serious note, Theresa May has absolutely no chance of getting her latest Brexit hogwash proposal through Parliament.
    Which will just give more and more encouragement to the EU negotiators who will just turn the screw more and more.
    It is great fun to watch all this going on and everybody arguing about it, still it keeps them happy I suppose!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

Indeed BT, all the huffing and puffing today is sound and fury signifying nothing. It won't get past parliament, and as I said to 59/60 a couple of days ago, our negotiators will be have to go back to Brussels and come up with something better.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Which will just give more and more encouragement to the EU negotiators who will just turn the screw more and more.

Not necessarily Sub, the EU finances are a mess, they need that £39 billion that comes with the deal, and they need it badly. No deal, no £39 billion, the closer we get to leaving on WTO terms, the more amenable they'll become. Of course they think we fear no deal even more than they do, and all they have to do is sit tight, but they might just have overplayed their hand with this 'deal'. It simply won't float on this side of the Channel, and they will have to come up with something more acceptable if they want the money.

There is one way guaranteed to get the EU to move, take this Chequers nonsense off the table, sack May, put a Brexiteer in charge, put £5 billion into No Deal preparations, and announce our intention to leave without a withdrawal agreement and trade on WTO terms, if they can't agree something better with us. We should also state that we will not be introducing a hard border in Ireland under any circumstances, if they say there needs to be one, they have to construct it. Which puts the ball firmly back in their court, and suddenly you'd find the Irish border problem solved, because neither the EU or Eire will build one.

Sounds like a plan to me sinkov! Why can't the lunatics in the asylum come up with such a no-nonsense proposal?

Ahhhh, the benefits of a good old grammar school education. I'll bet old Arlene rocky bollox from the DUP would cream his/her pants at that idea?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Not necessarily Sub, the EU finances are a mess, they need that £39 billion that comes with the deal, and they need it badly. No deal, no £39 billion, the closer we get to leaving on WTO terms, the more amenable they'll become. Of course they think we fear no deal even more than they do, and all they have to do is sit tight, but they might just have overplayed their hand with this 'deal'. It simply won't float on this side of the Channel, and they will have to come up with something more acceptable if they want the money.

There is one way guaranteed to get the EU to move, take this Chequers nonsense off the table, sack May, put a Brexiteer in charge, put £5 billion into No Deal preparations, and announce our intention to leave without a withdrawal agreement and trade on WTO terms, if they can't agree something better with us. We should also state that we will not be introducing a hard border in Ireland under any circumstances, if they say there needs to be one, they have to construct it. Which puts the ball firmly back in their court, and suddenly you'd find the Irish border problem solved, because neither the EU or Eire will build one.
    sinkov, what is this fantasy world in which you live? We are talking about politicians and their ilk who will always look after their own interests first and foremost. They have wasted two years up to now and when this gets thrown out we shall see whether your plan is followed in one way or another, however, I very much doubt it because they will all continue to argue their own cases.
    I honestly don't believe that we will get anywhere near a good solution because too many people on both sides are just protecting their own interests and the future of the UK comes second in all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    sinkov, what is this fantasy world in which you live? We are talking about politicians and their ilk who will always look after their own interests first and foremost. They have wasted two years up to now and when this gets thrown out we shall see whether your plan is followed in one way or another, however, I very much doubt it because they will all continue to argue their own cases.
    I honestly don't believe that we will get anywhere near a good solution because too many people on both sides are just protecting their own interests and the future of the UK comes second in all this.
    The 2nd part, my plan, is fantasy Sub, I meant to add 'but it will never happen' but I forgot. The first part though is entirely based on reality, the EU will lndeed act to protect and look after it's interests as you say, and getting their hands on that £39 billion is very much in their interests, which is why, if they feel they're losing their grip on that money, they will become more amenable. It's inevitable, it's politics innit.

The 2nd part, my plan, is fantasy Sub, I meant to add 'but it will never happen' but I forgot. The first part though is entirely based on reality, the EU will lndeed act to protect and look after it's interests as you say, and getting their hands on that £39 billion is very much in their interests, which is why, if they feel they're losing their grip on that money, they will become more amenable. It's inevitable, it's politics innit.
    It's only a game ---politicians just play it for a short time before they are found out unless they are in a very safe seat, as in my constituency. I have no confidence in any of them so -------Que Sera Sera -----it is the youth of the UK who I feel sorry for but they just blame us oldies anyway! It's life, innit!

NWe should also state that we will not be introducing a hard border in Ireland under any circumstances, if they say there needs to be one, they have to construct it. Which puts the ball firmly back in their court, and suddenly you'd find the Irish border problem solved, because neither the EU or Eire will build one.
    big part of brexit vote was control over borders.
    Last edited by footy_le_bordel; 15-11-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by footy_le_bordel View Post
    big part of brexit vote was control over borders.
    Common travel Area footy, look it up.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)