+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petrol Prices

Petrol Prices

I get an email in my inbox every evening with economic news, one of the things it includes is the price of a barrel of Brent Crude. I don't keep a careful check on it, but I do always have a look. I can't be exact, but give or take a day or two and a dollar or two, I know that the price of Brent Crude has dropped by 20-25% in the past 3/4 weeks.

I don't know why it's fallen, the experts were predicting it to rise when Trump enforced sanctions on Iran last month, but as usual the experts were wrong. There's always a virtually instant rise in the price of petrol when the oil price goes up, but a time lag when it goes down. The oil price has been dropping for a few weeks now, but the prices at the pumps have held up. Surely can't be for much longer though, cheaper petrol must be on the way.

You'd think so wouldn't you Sinkov, but don't hold your breath.

The consumer always gets conned, be it petrol, insurance or Tomatoes.

When I was on the bus' I'd pass an Asda with petrol station forecourt at half 3 in the morning going to work, I'd fill up with diesel if I was low as it was always 2/3 pence cheaper than anywhere else, I worked there for 9 years, about 6/7 times during that period I'd hear on the news that Asda was reducing its prices by 2p the next day so I'd leave it till the next day, on finishing work It always went up 1p, so the reduction was only really 1p the next day.

We always get conned especially by Supermarkets, and don't mention Black Friday, another big CON.

As I write this just heard on the news that petrol prices are due to fall.

Actually Alto I've just done my sums again, I was wrong, the fall in price is even bigger than I thought, 25-30%. The petrol price will drop eventually but what pisses me off is the way it racks up almost immediately when the oil price rises, but there's a fair old time lag when it drops. Like you say, we get shafted whatever.

The more that I read this I have to admit that I am becoming more and more impressed that both of you are closer to realising that life is one big rip off!! Keep going lads and you will soon stop worrying about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    The more that I read this I have to admit that I am becoming more and more impressed that both of you are closer to realising that life is one big rip off!! Keep going lads and you will soon stop worrying about it.

I don't worry about it Sub, none of it affects me personally, I can't help pointing stuff like this out though, it passes the time on once I've sorted the next day's racing out. The one that really gets me is money transfers, if I want to put money into my Ladbrokes account, I press a button and there it is, instantly available to bet on the gee-gees, at 1.59 it's in my bank account, at 2.00 pm it's on a horse with Ladbrokes. If the horse wins and I want my money back, it takes five working days to get back into my account. Taking the piss or what ?

Oil and Politics - one in the same - so is it a low cost producer putting the squeeze on others with higher costs ?...or selling short to make money on the rise ?...who knows - but there'll certainly be a sneaky Dollar sign hiding somewhere behind it...and then, we can blame the refiners, or the retailers but....whats all that tax and vat we pay again - about 70p on every litre.....so why don't we see Kleptocrats written above the pumps.

Alto...have been put off using Supermarket pumps - as I find, that the few pence cheaper is lost to lower mileage - compared to fuel at named pumps - don't know if it's lesser quality additive filled fuel, but it burns off quicker....noticed the engine sound rougher too.

I have looked into that on the internet Norder, and found nothing substantial, but being sceptical I tried one full tank of BP (expensive at the time) and the next tank Asda, there was hardly any difference in my case, I have lost the "need for speed" being older now so I shuffle about and only have a blast over the speed limit once in a while on a clear road and only for a few minutes, yes I know I'm a very naughty boy

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    I have looked into that on the internet Norder, and found nothing substantial, but being sceptical I tried one full tank of BP (expensive at the time) and the next tank Asda, there was hardly any difference in my case, I have lost the "need for speed" being older now so I shuffle about and only have a blast over the speed limit once in a while on a clear road and only for a few minutes, yes I know I'm a very naughty boy

....there's the different fuels on the pumps - super - xpower ultimate rocket super boost etc etc....with the improved octane/cetane burn rate - have filled a tank on that quality...and there was no doubt about it, the engine ran/sounded smoother, worked cooler and less hard compared to the normal, and did also give obviously better mpg...but then there's a 90litre tank to fill, and am not burning money (?)...so mostly run on the standard - with a little of the fancy stuff every now and again - but even so, if I fill with named basic vs Supermarket basic...for a penny more, am not even worse of a litre after a fill from empty - and don't need to be gunning it....there remains a noticable difference from just pottering about locally or sat in traffic...What I reckon we do all need though - is a list of ingredients/additives, and the supplier, above the pump - and why not we pay enough for the stuff.

oh yeah...the penny dropped - Alto....so what I heard is true - about you popping out to the supermarket for a late night top-up - then doing donuts and burnouts in the car park on the sly

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

Oil and Politics - one in the same - so is it a low cost producer putting the squeeze on others with higher costs ?...or selling short to make money on the rise ?...who knows - but there'll certainly be a sneaky Dollar sign hiding somewhere behind it...and then, we can blame the refiners, or the retailers but....whats all that tax and vat we pay again - about 70p on every litre.....so why don't we see Kleptocrats written above the pumps.

Alto...have been put off using Supermarket pumps - as I find, that the few pence cheaper is lost to lower mileage - compared to fuel at named pumps - don't know if it's lesser quality additive filled fuel, but it burns off quicker....noticed the engine sound rougher too.

Of course you're right Norder, the real rip-off merchant is the government, the price of oil is actually a quite insignificant factor in the fuel price compared to the way they tax it. I can't be bothered to check, but believe they put a tax on it, and then we have to pay VAT on that tax. We are forced to pay a tax on a tax, it's a very supine nation that allows them to inflict a scam like that upon us.

I once studied this issue and discovered that the UK's Chancellor of the Exchequer nets 70% of all retail and wholesale oil revenue n taxes. It's totally not in our Government's interests to allow lower petrol prices is it? Like you say sinkov, the blind are being robbed blind and continue to take it on the chin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)